SOLVED new hard drive arriving today-need advice

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The Samsung HD103SJ hard drive that I ordered is arriving today, and I need a little advice. Being that it has 1TB in space, I have plenty of space to work with, most likely more than I'll ever fill up.

When I clean reinstalled (the last time) the OEM partition (Win 7 Home Premium), I fully updated it, applied my Windows Anytime Upgrade key, making it 7 Pro. Then, after a final check for updates, I installed Macrium Reflect, and added no other programs at all (except MSE). Then I backed up the fresh install to my Seagate backup drive.

This is my way of doing an install, fully updating it, installing the AV of my choice, adding no extra programs, then do a full backup using Macrium. It's the most effective restore point that you can have, is a freshly backed up install (or reinstall). With that, you can undo anything.

OK, my main question is this, will my keys for my optional programs, in my case, Acronis True Image Home 2010 & Raxco's Perfect Disk 11 Professional, continue to work on the new install, after a clean install of the products? I have the install files for all of my programs, making reinstall much faster.

I don't plan to reinstall the recovery partition, being that I made recovery discs, and recently (last month), I ordered the reinstall discs from HP themselves. They are sealed, then was placed in a ziplock bag. I will revert to using them after the ones that I made wears out.

Also, I intend to install Vista SP2 (64 bit) on the first partition that I'll create, giving me three OS's to work with. Ultimate will be clean installed.

But before doing anything, I'll use Easeus Partition Master to format the drive, and create the partitions that I wish.

One other question, will the 100MB partition be needed, since I'm going to install Ultimate? My thinking is that should correct any potential boot issues that may arise. If not, I won't recover that, either. But if it will present a problem, let me know.

At last, my drive just arrived, and was packaged far better than the Caviar Black was. It has a plastic cover, and was wrapped in a cardboard sleeve to prevent damage, why can't they ship all drives in this manner? At least the cardboard sleeve will help a lot. Costs what, a quarter or less? If the option were available, I'd gladly pay for premium packaging, but the only options that you have is the method of shipping that you want.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
OK, my main question is this, will my keys for my optional programs, in my case, Acronis True Image Home 2010 & Raxco's Perfect Disk 11 Professional, continue to work on the new install, after a clean install of the products? I have the install files for all of my programs, making reinstall much faster.
Yes the keys will work. When you say "install files" do you mean the executable files or ones you saved from the "Programs" folders? If you save from the Programs folders they won't work correctly, you need to do a new install of the two programs again.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Western Digital drive you bought was probably an OEM drive which is just the drive, no fancy packaging. The Samsung was more likely a Retail packaged drive for use on store shelves.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 100MB drive is not necessary since you'll have the partition already. Normally it's only created when you make the partitions through the Windows 7 install partition section during the install process.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The install files that I'm talking about are the ones that you download to install any program, usually a small file, except the case of Adobe, it's over 40MB. Normally, they go into your documents or download folder. I always save the latest versions on a thumb drive.

Thanks, and I hope that it clears up your question.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Nibs, these HDs from Newegg are OEM as well, it's just a cardboard insert surrounding the drive but it worked much better than the recycled cardboard end-caps used by another company I used to get my first HD103SJ.

Cat, the only reason I can think of that your products wouldn't reinstall on your new HD with your current key is if you got them from the give-away-of-the-day site because they build their installer around the manufacturers installer and have it phone home for authorization to install on only one day.

As for the 100mb partition, I assume you mean the recovery partition HP creates on their machines - that is used to reinstall the OS (their version with their crapware as well) if your system is trashed. You said you did back this up so since you already make an image and do external backups I do not believe you will miss it.

A 1TB drive is actually only about 900ish MB so if you divide it equally in 3 partitions they would be about 300MB each. I believe with Win7 your max is 4 partitions (under MBR formatted HDs). You of course do not have to make the partitions equal but I would not go more than half the drive for a single partition so that is uses 4kb clusters not 8. The bigger your clusters the more potential for wasted bytes on every file.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The install files that I'm talking about are the ones that you download to install any program, usually a small file, except the case of Adobe, it's over 40MB. Normally, they go into your documents or download folder. I always save the latest versions on a thumb drive
Okay... the executables then. My bad! LOL!

Cats product keys are valid, he didn't get them from that goofy site "Giveaway of The Day". I won't use any software from there because of all the limitations involved. Either the software "given away" should be usable on any new platform or install as long as the serial is tied to the user who downloaded it. Don't tie my hands to the original OS install or whatever.

I believe the 100MB partition Cat is referring to is the "System Reserved" partition installed by Windows 7 during the initial OS install. HP's recovery partition is a lot bigger than 100MB.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice, the install went quite well, but was time consuming. What I did was first install Vista SP2, on a 150GB partition. I used the Free Partition Wizard to create (and format as NTFS) three primaries, the one that I mentioned above, a 250GB for 7 Pro (my OEM install), and a 200GB one for Ultimate.

Prior to removing my other drive, I used Macrium to create a fresh backup of my OEM install, w/o the 100MB partition. The recovery partition has been long gone. This way, I'd lose no bookmarks or anything.

I then took that backup, and installed it on the 250GB partition that I created for it, not restoring the MBR. After installing the backup, of course it wouldn't boot, so I used the emergency boot disc that you create within the Windows backup program, ran it, it found what needed repairing & fixed it. It now boots normally. Had I used the OS disc to do the repair with, the Windows symbols won't show at startup, instead, it will startup with that "Vista" look (that row of green bars).

All that I have left to do is install the programs on Ultimate, and back everything up. I've already used Perfect Disk to defrag Vista & 7 Pro.

Instead of an OEM backup partition, Acronis True Image has a way to recover the system by pressing F11 at startup. I need to learn how to accomplish this, but that will be the last thing I do.

But I believe I'll rest for a while before doing anything else, setting up a computer is not easy, but I did make it easier on myself by having the install files on a thumb drive. A lot easier.

Cat

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Very interesting Cat.

Could you explain (when you're up to it) the boot options as presentend to you on start-up?

If I ever needed to look up "how many ways to skin a cat" in the dictionary, I think this post would come up. I mean that in a good way.:D

Enjoy!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
yodap, it shows as Windows 7, Microsoft Windows Vista, Windows 7 Professional (recovered). I finally have everything done, except there's still work to do on Ultimate.

I was going to recover my fresh reinstall backup, but I didn't want to lose any of my bookmarks and settings. So I took the chance of just backing up my OEM partition. Had I known that it would have worked out so well, I would've done the same with Ultimate. The reason that I didn't, I had so much junk on it (it's an evaluation OS, as is Vista) that I didn't want to move it onto this drive. I lost nothing in doing so.

I'll tell you, I'm really pleased with this drive, it's quiet, like it should be. Hopefully, it'll last a long time.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would have to change that, people might get the impression my system wasn't perfect :D

So I looked to see how.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've recovered a couple of Windows 7 OS's, it always says that. I never seen XP or Win 2K say that. Really, I don't see the point, but that's what will happen, should you need to recover 7 or Vista.

I'd rather see "recovered" than nothing at all.:D

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I read that, I'll print it out and see what happens. There is also an option in Revo Uninstaller to edit these things, I've done it before. But right now, I'm in Vista, and mabye that's why the option isn't there.

Speaking of which, while it's certainly not as good as 7, Vista SP2 really isn't bad. I installed it on my OEM drive, it ran slow. Mabye it's the 32MB cache, I don't know. They both ran at 7200rpm, but I think that the Caviar Blue (my OEM drive) has a smaller cache.

I really need to learn what these numbers mean, that will help my understanding of computer terms a lot. However, in most cases, I've learned that the higher the number, the better.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OEM is simply Original Equipment Manufacturer; basically it means it is the same as came with the equipment in the first place. When you buy OEM parts they usually don't come with the extras such as cables or CD/DVDs or even a regular box.

32MB cache is a good thing, many older drives only have 8 or 16mb. The cache is solid state so it's faster than a disk access. Basically a hard drive tries to anticipate what sectors you will need next on reads and have them ready in the cache, example you request the first sector of a file it will likely say well these other sectors right next to it are likely going to be needed next so I will fetch as requested plus keep reading and have those in the cache just in case (this is the biggest reason to defrag). On writes the cache can hold information and write it out to the disc(s) in it's own time so the CPU isn't waiting for write confirmation (this is one way you can loose data when power goes out or you hit the power switch instead of shutting down safely and allowing it to properly empty the cache).

RPM is rotations per minute just like in records - hard drives are tiny records (though stored digitally not analog as the old vinyl was). Hard drives run at 5400rpm (slightly slower accesses, less energy, less heat, therefore "green" because more environmentally friendly), 7200rpm (middle of the road "blue"), and 10,000rpm such as the velocoraptor (fastest speed, high heat, "black" and generally considered not worth the extra cost for the slight performance gain).

The biggest slow-down you should experience is if your HD is connected USB 480mb per second versus sata/esata 1.5gbps (SATA I) or 3gb per second (SATA II). You would never put a velocoraptor in a USB connection because it would be a total waste, USB is 3 to 6 times slower.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
USB is a lot slower, I know this firsthand. But on my notebook, which has an 100GB IDE drive, running at 5400rpm, running Linux through the USB with my Caviar Black is faster than the system's own drive. However, it has a much larger cache, and runs 1800rpm faster. This helps a lot.

I tried to run Windows XP in this fashion, but it wouldn't work. Personally, I believe this is by design, so that you can't move from computer to computer with the OS.

But some portable hard drives has some form of software called "sync", you can backup your computer to it, and carry it with you to work, to a friend's home, or whatever, and still be productive. I don't think it copies all of your OS's files, but enough to carry with you. WD Passport drives has (or had) this option, mine did, before I formatted it.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You're right, the same applies to Win 2K, that 137GB limit. So, if I were to find a small SATA drive (120GB or less), my problem would be solved? I know that I still can't run it through USB, but I plan to get a new notebook, as soon as the one that I have passes on (the hard drive is rattling noticeably now).

Usually, on notebooks, hard drives is easy to switch out, less than a minute. A couple of screws is all that holds it in place, they either slide out (usually on the left corner), or there's a cover to remove, then it's easily removed. If this would work, it would be fantastic. And notebook SATA drives are cheap (especially small ones). I've seen them for as little as $39, which would be all that I'd need.

Let me know.:top:

Cat

Reaction score
You're right, the same applies to Win 2K, that 137GB limit.
Or you could use NTFS file system instead of FAT32. XP has options to convert FAT32 drives to NTFS. I believe the Convert to NTFS is located in Accessories and then System Tools.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
All that I've ever ran with Windows (since having XP Pro in 2002) is the NTFS file system. I have a few thumb drives that's FAT (or exFAT), but not on a hard drive.

Prior to 2002, I was running FAT32 with Win 2K, but even that's on a NTFS format now.

Cat

Ask a Question