New Adobe Flaw Being Exploited !!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The biggest flaw with Adobe is flash. It frequently locks up my browser, can't refresh or even hit the close X. I wish some smart person would develop Flash-Alternative.

But thank you for more good news from Adobe :p

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
The biggest flaw with Adobe is flash. It frequently locks up my browser, can't refresh or even hit the close X. I wish some smart person would develop Flash-Alternative.

There's a Flash alternative on Linux.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm looking for a flash alternative not a Windows alternative :p

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I don't see the point of a Flash alternative. Emulating a proprietary format is never going to produce results that compare to the original in terms of functionality and performance. And frankly, the open source community would have to make a considerable mess of the Linux kernel for it to be considered a "Windows alternative."

What I would like to see is not the development of open source versions of proprietary technologies, but the eradication of proprietary technologies entirely from general website implementations. It's 2010 and I still see websites designed entirely for IE, or entirely in Flash, and I have to wonder who hired the morons that developed them. I won't even use any site that insists I install Java. Hopefully HTML5 will help in this regard, even if it is a long ways off.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Real Alternative and Quicktime Alternative are excellent examples of non-bloated mimics of the original that function quite well w/o the problems of the originals.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Both are also discontinued, so future use is in my opinion quite questionable. At any rate, Quicktime has always worked fine for me. I won't touch RealMedia or anything that emulates it...it can stay dead as far as I am concerned.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I quit using Adobe for PDF functions several months ago. I prefer to use either Nitro PDF or Foxit PDF, much smaller footprints and just as configurable as Adobe for most users.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Nibs it says Foxit is vulnerable too, and is even more dangerous as it won't even show you a screen you have to OK. I would guess Nitro is susceptible as well because it is apparently a weakness in the actual PDF design.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
From Foxit Software:

Announcements

Foxit Keeps Identity Theft Out. Protects Data Integrity With The Most Reliable PDF Technology

Fremont CA, August 18, 2010
Foxit Corporation, a leading provider of solutions for reading, editing, creating, organizing, securing PDF documents and eReader devices, is now engaging in releasing an upcoming security patch for a possible digital signature collision that can be used to modify a signed file and not invalidate the signature.

To protect PDF users from the identity theft which can be used to modify a signed PDF file while keeping the digital signature stay the same, Foxit is preannouncing its soon to be submitted PDF software. With the commitment to provide a safer, smaller and faster PDF toolkit, Foxit takes immediate actions to address any possible security breach.

"Foxit is aware of this serious issue and is working toward an implementation that ensures data integrity and identity verification. Foxit values each customer and we don’t want any of us customers to lose their data and facing vulnerabilities of security attack. Foxit will take fast steps to patch any PDF flaws threatening our users. " said Alex Alexander, AVP, Corporate Marketing for Foxit Corporation.

Reaction score
Yeah, Adobe seems to S**k

What a pain in the neck. I uninstalled Reader 9.34 with Revo-Uninstaller Pro, installed Foxit Reader, then had to reinstall Reader just to use the pdf fix for viewing previews in Win 7 Professional x64 with Foxit. Foxit needs to come out with there own 64 bit preview fix. However the way I did left Foxit as the default for PDF's somehow.

Reaction score
Actually Silverlight should replace it !!

Silverlight should replace Flash. Atleast, Microsoft has monthly patches. Adobe can't currently state that they do and in the last 3-4 month's it appears they don't care about there own software- security wise. Apple already banned them. Once Microsoft and Google decide to dump them, there in huge trouble. Yeah, they'' still have Linux, but the most popular versions are free or extremely cheap to get. I can see it now it cost's $10 - $25 for Linux, $300 + for Acrobat and $100 + for PhotoShop for Linux. Don't think anyone with half-a-brain would accept those differences in price.
I don't see the point of a Flash alternative. Emulating a proprietary format is never going to produce results that compare to the original in terms of functionality and performance. And frankly, the open source community would have to make a considerable mess of the Linux kernel for it to be considered a "Windows alternative."

What I would like to see is not the development of open source versions of proprietary technologies, but the eradication of proprietary technologies entirely from general website implementations. It's 2010 and I still see websites designed entirely for IE, or entirely in Flash, and I have to wonder who hired the morons that developed them. I won't even use any site that insists I install Java. Hopefully HTML5 will help in this regard, even if it is a long ways off.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't even have silverlight installed and have never had a webpage tell me it couldn't run w/o it. Microsoft WISHES silverlight would be used INSTEAD of flash but a replacement is a far cry from the type alternative I mean, where the product simulates flash, so the webpage coding does not change, but it displays without all the bloated Adobe extras that make it a memory hog and cause it to lock up.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I don't even have silverlight installed and have never had a webpage tell me it couldn't run w/o it. Microsoft WISHES silverlight would be used INSTEAD of flash but a replacement is a far cry from the type alternative I mean, where the product simulates flash, so the webpage coding does not change, but it displays without all the bloated Adobe extras that make it a memory hog and cause it to lock up.
If you stream Netflix movies on your PC, like I do, you need Silverlight, period. I am not a fan of Silverlight since it doesn't exist for any other platforms but Windows (don't bother even mentioning Moonlight); in that race I'd rather take Adobe's poor Linux support, or 64-bit support over Microsoft's non-existent ones.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
HTML5 is the "supposed" replacement for Adobe's Flash for browser usage.

No offense, but we're kinda beating a dead horse here. The thread's been hijacked from one about PDF vulnerabilities to Flash usage.

Ask a Question