Adobe reader glitch?

Reaction score
I've had 3 instances of being unable to read a PDF, so I checked the Reader and I have XI and It last updated on 5-15-15. Am I looking to the wrong source as the problem for this, i.e., should I be looking to something else as the problem rather than Adobe Reader?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Are these regular PDF files stored on your Harddrive or is it something you open from the internet via a browser. If opening via browser they are downloaded a temp files but may use browser programs rather than your reader XI. Try downloading the file to your computer and then opening it. If these are on your harddrive then, PDFs, like any file, can become corrupt; if it does not happen to all your PDFs then maybe these files are damaged.

Reaction score
Today I received a PDF Manual from my phone company and can't download it, so this problem seems to include all PDF's, both those with incoming PDF's and ones stored on this compute. When I tried to download the manual, I got a window from Windows Network Diagnostics "Problem Found", "remote device or resource won't accept the connection", "contact your network administrator". I'm the only user on this computer, so maybe the network admin is me?

Also received another window, an error notice with a link which your help system won't permit for various reasons on this message, but it's telling me "the requested URL could not be retrieved".

Each time I try to download the manual, Internet Explorer advises it has a problem, runs a check and ends up telling my session was interrupted and do I want to retry and then it takes me back to the Outlook sign-in. I hope this gives you better info to help you help me. Thank you.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Cannot download is not the same as cannot open and that is highly unlikely to be an Adobe issue at all; the link may be bad they sent you or your firewall may be blocking the download.

Ones stored on your computer would either be damaged files or a problem with Adobe.

First step I suggest you scan your hard drive for bad sectors/lost files. If your hard drive is going bad then pieces of files and even programs could be getting lost. If so the hard drive needs replaced. To scan it right-click on the C: drive in Windows Explorer and choose Properties, under the Tools tab run Check-Now.

If the hard drive is fine, I would probably start by uninstalling and reinstalling the latest Adobe Reader to see if that fixes the problem with your PDFs on the hard drive.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Windows Explorer Properties has no Tools tab on my computer. I have Windows 7, 64 bit. I did find a way to check the file system on C drive. It said "NTFS System - files checked:

bad records errors/completed/ 0 errors
indexed errors/ completed/0 errors
security descriptors/ completed/0 errors"

I tried the Reader X1 and their help dropdown suggested reinstall and restart which I did and I still can't access when I click "Download" in the Email I have from the cellphone help personnel. I also tried to move the Email to another source and it wouldn't do that either. If it were just this one instance, I'd think it might be the sender of the Email, but it's been everything I've tried to download lately. Could this in any way be related to a driver - maybe a graphics driver? Or should I maybe remove X1 and install an older version just to see if it works?

Thanks for helping. I'll try anything you suggest.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
As I mentioned above, not being able to download is probably not a problem with Adobe. And if you can see a display on your computer screen then it is not a graphics driver. If you can browse the internet then it is also not a network driver issue.

If you can never download any attachments then it is more likely a problem with something like your firewall or your Anti-virus software settings.

Ask a Question