Net Talk Duo - is it good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I recently bought a Net Talk Duo device, after ruling out the Magic Jack. That device requires installation on the computer, and can actually burn up the CPU in low spec or under cooled PC's.

This device is installed onto the modem, totally bypassing the PC altogether. The cost is around $75+ shipping. It comes with 1 year of service, then costs $30 per year. To this point, it has done well, however I'm waiting on new batteries so that I can really check it out.

Do any of you have this device, and if so, how does it work for you?

Reaction score
I recently bought a Net Talk Duo device, after ruling out the Magic Jack. That device requires installation on the computer, and can actually burn up the CPU in low spec or under cooled PC's.

This device is installed onto the modem, totally bypassing the PC altogether. The cost is around $75+ shipping. It comes with 1 year of service, then costs $30 per year. To this point, it has done well, however I'm waiting on new batteries so that I can really check it out.

Do any of you have this device, and if so, how does it work for you?
Have no idea about that device. However, I've had a magicJack since January. Yes, it runs as a startup item in Windows. If it didn't, it wouldn't work. Nor, does magicJack require waiting for or using any batteries for it to work, just a phone/phoneline plugs into it and the so called software stays on the device itself. As it like a flash drive with a modem plugin for the outer end of it., it's cheaper to get and cheaper for yearly subscription. Kind of sounds like you wasted your money if you bought and recieved it and already need to wait for a battery.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Have no idea about that device. However, I've had a magicJack since January. Yes, it runs as a startup item in Windows. If it didn't, it wouldn't work. Nor, does magicJack require waiting for or using any batteries for it to work, just a phone/phoneline plugs into it and the so called software stays on the device itself. As it like a flash drive with a modem plugin for the outer end of it., it's cheaper to get and cheaper for yearly subscription. Kind of sounds like you wasted your money if you bought and recieved it and already need to wait for a battery.
I haven't wasted my money, the batteries are for my phone. It's a DECT 6.0 with 2 handsets that has been in my closet for nearly 3 years. It has great range, and crystal clear sound.

What I was wanting to know was if any of the membership has tried this type of device. No PC is needed, only a modem with a minimum of 128 kbps upload speed. Magic Jack is soon going to release a similar device. VOIP through the PC is soon going to be outdated technology. It slows down the PC too much, not to mention the energy used by leaving it on 24/7.

If this type of device gains popularity, Ma Bell will be kicked to the curb by many.

Reaction score
Actually Ma'Bell's been on it's way out, since cell phones becam so popularand cable companies started adding phone service as a option to it's cable, internet and phone bundling.

Reaction score
Well, if these type of devices becomes mainstream, cable phone will take a hit also. That's what I last had. But I haven't had landline service for 3 years now, having 2 cell phones in the home.

It was only Friday that I received this device, and it works good. But with old batteries, I can only talk about 5 minutes per phone. For those interested, here's a link to the device.

http://www.nettalk.com/

But I didn't buy from them, Wal-Mart sells the same device online, at the same price, with only 97 cent shipping to the home. Net Talk Duo charges around $11.00 for shipping. This savings almost paid for the set of batteries that I ordered for my phones.

It still has the 30 day guarantee, regardless of place of purchase. BTW, check out the energy savings over the current Magic Jack product. These are national averages, so these amounts may be more or less per customer.

http://www.nettalk.com/competition

Reaction score
I'm not really worried about the enrgy. The one I have plugs into a USB 2.0 port According to my ups my pc, printer,mj, monitor and external hd. only cost's $ .37 per day. Considering my pc run's 24/7 accept for a couple daily restarts and is f@h that whole time that's not bad at all. I only use mine for out of state calls.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
For those of us that keep our computers on 24/7 the magicjack might be more economical but net talk may be a better idea for people that are more green or don't even own a computer. Both are bad news for the local phone company.

I believe the poster had already ruled out magicjack for their needs and is looking to hear from other users who have tried or currently use net talk. Please try to keep the thread on that topic. Thank you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I see Net Talk growing in the future, as it's not PC or OS dependent, and for $30 per year for service, it's a deal that can't be beat.

Except for those who uses Google Talk, that's also free, but a computer must be used. Net Talk cannot be beat for the price, but it's still young. Time will tell as to it's success.

Reaction score
I may look into getting one of those, but it's on the back burner for now. I have a few more upgrades I want to do first. SSD next month. Then Phenom 2 1100T cpu the following month. Modular 1000 watt PSU and then aa 2nd HIS IceQ X Turbo X HD6950 video card.

Reaction score
It was the only thing available.
There exists no customer service. No functional forum. No customer contact email. Slow or inexistant answering to complaints. No contact number and can’t make international calls to reach you if you are outside the country.
Well i bought this product and it never worked. No matter what i tried. It doesn’t work, it’s most probably defective, but the incompetance at the nettalk company impedes them from being able to get a technician to call me in order to perform a diagnostic, so I don’t even know for certain. I’ve submitted tickets to their complaint office, and many of them at that. The only thing i got was the old school run around. Loads of bull excrements. I tried their chat but it’s the same. My only option was to contact the email that specifically said not a customer service email, which is where i got the closest thing to customer service, but they couldnt manage to make a call to an international number. I even sent an email with an explanaition on how it is done. This company is acreditation with BBB has been REVOKED. If at all possible don’t buy anything from this company. The device is garbage and the software is horrible and not user friendly in the least you don’t have any sort of options. Basically don’t buy it.
Would not recommend to a friend.
Quote from fellow customer that has been wronged by nettalk:
Please do NOT purchase NetTalk. I had mine for 3 mo and this has been my experience with them:
12/30/13 – placed ticket number FZS-214-82310 stating the NetTalk was defective and did not work.
2/6/14 – received an email from NetTalk: explaining they knew the response was delayed and they apologize for the inconvenience that it has caused on their behalf and wanted to know “did I still have a problem”.
2/6/14 – I responded: Of course I am still having problems! I left all the information that you are asking me for, so here it is again…. IT DOESN’T WORK! The red light is blinking and it doesn’t work.
No response back from NetTalk
2/11/14 – After no response from NetTalk, I emailed them back and asked: What is the status of this? Have you sent me a new unit yet?
2/11/14 – I get the following from NetTalk: Ma’am I need the mac and serial number, a tech has to determine if you get a replacement. In order for them to decide you need a replacement i have to put you on the call back list in order for me to put you on the call back list you have to give me the information. I need more then just it doesn’t work.
I apologize that this is inconvenient but as i said to help you, you have to cooperate by giving me the necessary information.
Call back number that is not the nettalk number i need a time also what would be best for you keep in mind we are open Mon-Fri 10am-4pm
. Serial number of the device and the mac address.
2/11/14 – I responded with: I think if you will take the time to look at the emails that I have sent in the past and the TWO TICKETS that I requested, there was NEVER a request for the mac and serial number. So, your statement of “I said to help you, you have to cooperate by giving me the necessary information”, you need to get your facts straight before making comments like that, when I was never asked for information.
You can’t put me on a callback, because I have NO working phone, thanks to your faulty equipment and I haven’t for over a MONTH!
Serial Number: DUO 0182929 6245
MAC: 00:25:F6:02:CE:90
2/11/14 – No further response from NetTalk
2/19/14 – No response from NetTalk, so I sent another email: What is the status of this? Why am I not getting service and having this unit replaced?
For those interested in buying this, please don’t! I should have been wise when I was researching it and noticed on the setup page of their website, it says “Did you receive a replacement device?” I should have known then this was not reliable equipment. All I want is for it to work. We’ve tried resetting it, unplugging it and using multiple different phones to try and get it to work again. NetTalk EXPECTS you to have a number where they can troubleshoot with you, but when this is your number, what do you do? They should have replaced the equipment, no questions asked and had the defective device sent to them to troubleshoot instead of causing the customer more hassle, for what?
Please learn from what I’ve been through…

Hope our experiences help you in your choice

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
This thread has been dead for over 2 years so I have closed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question