TalkTalk (UK) Just Upgraded My Internet

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
From 54Mbps to 100 Mbps.
Pre upgrade speeds - 4.03Mbps Download 724Kbps Upload <-- Download / Upload speeds swapped*
Poste upgrade speeds - 4.12Mbps Download 712Kbps Upload <-- Download / Upload speeds swapped*

Hmmm, :hmpf: Where's me calculator. :(

*Edited as per Mr. TM, who is far too observant for his own good!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
15.64 mbps download
2.08 mbps upload

I have Optonline and find speed tests to be less than accurate and dependent on the time of day.

What is your ISP?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
You probably already know this all too well, but as a refresher:

ISPs often indicate their plan speeds in megabits/second, not megabytes per second. This leads to confusion when a consumer purchases an 8 Mbps connection, but finds that his Ubuntu DVD download caps at around 1 Megabyte per second, regardless of when he downloads or which server he connects to.

This is because one byte = eight bits. In other words, when you download a file at a speed of 1 MegaBYTE per second, you're also downloading it at 8 megaBITS per second. My 10 mbps connection looks great on paper, but in actuality any download will cap at around 1.2 - 1.3 Megabytes/sec, and they do. Advertising the speed in bits just makes it sound a lot faster than using bytes, while many of us are more concerned with the speed in bytes, since the standard form to show the storage size of a file is in bytes.

At any rate, sometimes cable connections, when upgraded, take a little while for speeds to improve as not all areas are switched over at the same time. I've heard that you can try powercycling your modem; I don't know why that would make a difference, but who knows.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
You probably already know this all too well, but as a refresher:.....
:shot: Actually, no, I didn't!! :shot:
I am now a truly edjerkated feller!!
I only looked because I knew I had some old A Beltronica Speed Tests about somewhere. But what I did do right was run the tests at "approx" the same time.
What is your ISP?
It's (fronted by?) TalkTalk, our Landline provider, who, I will say, I've never had a problem with.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Are those numbers backwards?
Shouldn't it be ...
4.12Mbps download (internet to your computer)
712Kbps upload (files up to the web)
???

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Are those numbers backwards?
Shouldn't it be ...
4.12Mbps download (internet to your computer)
712Kbps upload (files up to the web)
???
I never was very good at setting up "Spot The Mistake" competitions, or cut 'n' paste for that matter.
cheers TM, Edited ;)

Ask a Question