Need helpful answer about Mobo upgrade

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It's not an OEM version of Windows 7 Professional x64 that I have. Therefore I'm not breaking any laws.
Great! Note it cannot be an Upgrade license either - only a full Retail version can be transferred to a new computer.

Reaction score
It's Full Retail version and t's only a new motherboard as I stated Not a new computer.

Reaction score
The motherboard is what defines the computer. The motherboard is what dictates what the computer can or cannot use. If you change motherboards without using the same model, you are changing what defines the computers.

You can argue what is morally right or wrong, all day. This does not change the fact that Microsoft wants you to purchase a new OEM license when changing to a different model motherboard.

Reaction score
The response by CC also applies if you chage the CPU, if I am not mistaken

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I'm refering to MSI Live Update 5,MSI Control Center,I-Charger and this last one I also downloaded, but don't think it applies to my Phenom 2 965 cpu (BIOS Code Unlocked Technology). I'm planning on overclocking with the MSI board, but I'm a newbie at that aspect of it. I'm also going to upgrade the r.a.m. to an additional kit of the same 8.0 gb. kit of r.a.m. a month after the mobo and first r.a.m. kit. Then in late summer or fall I'm going to get a Phenom 2 1100 BE cpu. I need to decide which sound card I want to get before the new cpu.

Sir, let me break all this down for you, if you don't mind.

1. Stay away from those useless mobo utility programs, most are superfluous and you won't really gain any benefit at all. Some have been known to crash the system from time to time.

2. BE VERY CAREFUL overclocking your system. You won't really notice any substantial gains by doing a 5-10% overclock, anymore than that and you had really better know what the hell you're doing or you may cook your system, also CPU and RAM makers DON'T warranty components that have been overclocked.

3. You claim you have 8 GB of RAM right now. Sir, please believe me you have more than enough now, any more added will be simply a waste of your hard-earned money. BELIEVE ME IT'S TRUE! I have 6 GB of RAM and the MOST I have ever used during very heavy video rendering / processing is about 3.2 GB! Unless you're running a server machine with heavy loads or during extreme CAD or graphics processing... and I mean extreme, you'll never need the other 8 GB of RAM you're planning on buying. You'd be better off to get yourself a high-end video card instead.

Go to this article from Tom's Hardware from April of 2009, very informative and an excellent summation of what you need to know.

Do You Really Need More Than 6 GB Of RAM?

This is their conclusion on the matter:

Not much has changed since 4 GB of RAM became the “sweet spot” for performance and price in the enthusiast market. While 32-bit operating systems previously limited those 4 GB configurations to around 3 GB of useful memory space, today's test shows that 3 GB is still usually enough.

We remember days when having multiple Internet Explorer windows open could cause a system to become sluggish. But even that scenario has become unrealistic, as all the configurations we tested in this review supported over 100 open windows simultaneously.

If 3 GB worked so well, why do we continue to recommend 4 GB to 6 GB triple-channel kits for performance systems? Perhaps we’re just a little too forward-looking, but we can certainly imagine scenarios a typical “power user” could encounter where 3 GB might not be enough, even if today’s tests didn’t reveal any of them. For those folks, stepping up to a 64-bit operating system at the same time is undoubtedly the best course of action.

We can only recommend larger capacities of 8 GB to 12 GB for professional applications where its usefulness has already been documented and for servers. None of our tests required high-memory capacities and wasted RAM is a burden both financially and ecologically.
I am sure you've tired of the "discussion" back and forth regarding the licensing issue. So I won't say anymore except that installing an "Upgrade" version will work as clean install, as long as you have a prior full version of Windows XP or Vista you'll be fine. Regardless of which machine or upgrade build you put it on. I may be splitting hairs here, but MS as long as they get their piece of the pie, don't really get persnickety about it.

~Nibs

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The response by CC also applies if you chage the CPU, if I am not mistaken
You can change the CPU w/o having to purchase a new OS. It's the MOBO that defines it as another computer.

All other parts can be replaced w/o issue.

Cat

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You can change the CPU w/o having to purchase a new OS
Right - as clearly stated several times in my first post, Microsoft made it clear,
Microsoft said:
user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Guys let's get this back on topic, please. The licensing issue is a "horse that's been beaten to death".

It's been discussed here in the past to an ad nauseum, ad infinitum level.

I appreciate everyone understanding and if you have hardware recommendations or suggestions that's fine, no more talk about licensing as the various points and counter-points have been made.

Ask a Question