SOLVED MySQL on Windows 7

Reaction score
I installed MySQL 5.1.41 on Windows 7 using an MSI file downloaded from mysql.com. The installation seemed to go okay but I can't find the 'data' directory that should contain the mysql test database and where I could copy my previously created mysql database.
Does anybody have an insight as to where the database files go?

Reaction score
Do you know where the MySQL directory you are looking for is usually stored?

Reaction score
Re: database location

The data directory should be under the MySQL install directory. i.e., C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1

The bin, Docs, lib and share directories are there as well as multiple configuration files, but no data directory.
However, the show databases command lists information_schema, mysql and test but I don't know where they are physically located.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you try opening the my.ini file to see if it shows where the data directory is? It should look like this:

Code:
datadir="C:/MySQL/Data/"
I've got the latest MySQL installed ok on my Windows 7 machine.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help everybody.
I found that the data directory is located just where the my.ini file specifies it to be.
It is under the mysql\mysql server 5.1 directory, but it is set up as a hidden file.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Excellent, I'm glad it's fixed! :) I've marked this thread as solved.

Ask a Question