My Icons are Messed up, Help me get them fixed!!

Reaction score
I can see the Icon but there is a box in the icon that looks like the default icon,

I've tried already rebuilding the IconCache.db file and it doe not work. All is good except for this small issue. (Enclosed is a picture of my desktop)
Any help is greatly appreciated

Attachments

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Did you used to have the shortcut arrow showing or have you hidden it?
If you've hidden it the blank icon has disappeared from its location.

Have you got Norton 360?

Reaction score
:beer:
I've used to have the shortcut arrow showing
No, I'm Using Panda Antivirus

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Open your registry and navigate to this key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons]
In the right hand side see if there is an entry 29. If there is, delete it (it's your shortcut arrow "reference").
Now delete your iconcache and your thumbs cache (through disk clean up) and reboot.
Delete your Thumbcache files with the Disk Cleanup Utility (Press Start, (My) Computer, Right click C: Drive (your Main or System Drive), Properties, Click on the Disk Clean Up button). Thumbnails is one of the options you can choose to clean up.
Then delete your (hidden) IconCache.db which you'll find in your C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local folder.
Finally re-start.

Reaction score
Open your registry and navigate to this key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons]
In the right hand side see if there is an entry 29. If there is, delete it (it's your shortcut arrow "reference").
Now delete your iconcache and your thumbs cache (through disk clean up) and reboot.
This has been an issue I have been dealing with since the security update... I have tried to follow your directions but there is no "...Shell Icons" listing following the registry entry you noted. I have attacked a split screen shot of your directions and the registry entries.

Please note in the "AB Default" Icon... - what is this?

BTW this is a Win 7 x64 machine

Thanks Dan

Attachments

Ask a Question