Mozilla releases Firefox 4

Reaction score
Mozilla releases Firefox 4
Mozilla has released Firefox 4. The final build comes less than two weeks after Release Candidate 1. The company originally found no major problems in the RC1 build, and decided to release RC1 as the final version, but then changed its mind. An RC2 build was quietly pushed out on March 18, 2011 with a few fixes, and today the final bits appeared on Mozilla's servers.
Read more here - http://www.techspot.com/news/42908-mozilla-releases-firefox-4.html

Reaction score
Well don't know what happened there. It downloaded, then said it would be installed at next re-start. I closed and re-started, or rather tried to with nothing obviously happening. then finally get a box showing FF is checking for compatibility with settings and add-ons.
No other messages, that box closes, then nothing so I manually start FF, it took ages, lost all my Persona settings and is still only version 3.6.15.

Reaction score
I had to completely uninstall FF including personal folder and setting to get FF 4 to work, installing it over the top of 3.6.15 caused problems back button would not work other items would not work. A complete total uninstall of 3.6.15 Then a com-[lete new install and everything works fine except I had to put in all my extensions themes/personnas and various other tweaks.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Mine was easy peasy, lemon squeezy except for the Themes I had to change and adjust my Aniweather toolbar.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It went perfecly smooth for me, too. I updated each beta, then finally the RC, and now have 4.0, w/o reinstalling anything.

I like it, some of my addons changed a little (only 7 of them), but it looks good to go. For now, I'm using it on my XP notebook, as it's the best browser for that OS.

Cat

Reaction score
Looks as if I should do a clean install then. I'll get around to it.
Current FF does me ok for now.

Reaction score
Well trying FF4 the first time seemed to have killed my existing FF at next time I started. Had to delete everything to get it to re-install, tried 4, didn't like it. Change for changes sake imho. So deleted everything again and went back to 3.6. FF4 hung in any case saying the FF server was offline.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
FF4 installed/upgraded without a hitch on my PC, although I had very few plugins installed from FF3.6.

I really like FF4, it's much better than previous versions - especially in terms of layout (IMO) :).

Reaction score
Well trying FF4 the first time seemed to have killed my existing FF at next time I started. Had to delete everything to get it to re-install, tried 4, didn't like it. Change for changes sake imho. So deleted everything again and went back to 3.6. FF4 hung in any case saying the FF server was offline.
You can't, without using a profile manager, run two different releases of Firefox without having problems.

Reaction score
After a couple of days I went back to 3.6.16, FF 4 IMHO is not ready for prime time.
It was fine for a couple of days. However today my mouse worked only sporadically when using FF 4. This only happened on FF4, it did not happen on any other browser or application.

Reaction score
I have been using it since the first Minefield release and I never have had problems with mouse scrolling although there were reports that some users did. After in development for over 12 months, I would have to say that it is ready. Mozilla is now working on Firefox 5.0 with Fx 6 and 7 to be finished by years end.:dontknow:

Reaction score
I think they put it out to early, due to fact the IE was released last week, thus putting the pressure on FF to get the product out.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I'll have to agree with Mychael.
....Change for changes sake imho....
As well as not being able to get my theme to work, I got a slower speed result than using FF 3.6.4.
I reverted back after a couple of hours of tinkering.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It's working out OK for me so far. What I don't understand is why it (FF 4.0) looks different on XP than it does on 7. On XP, the options look as they have for a while, the screen looks a little better, other than that, it's not much different from 3.6.15. But it's faster than the previous version.

On 7, it really looks and runs good, on my computer.

I guess, just like other software, some computers may run a program quite well, and others will run it like crap. It probably was rushed a bit, not only due to the IE9 release, but FF 4.0 was originally projected to be released in the 4th quarter of 2010. That doesn't mean anything in itself, but the IE9 release probably created a sence of urgency for Mozilla. They probably didn't want to lose users to IE9.

Plus, there's other competition too, Chrome & Opera, I haven't used Chrome, but Opera also runs & looks good, and is a perfect fit for those with slow internet connections, with their Opera Turbo option.

FF will iron the creases out on the run, as they always have.

Cat

dlb

Reaction score
Namoroka

Been using it for a couple of weeks it works good and you can set as the default. Have flash player square installed and it works good. Square is a 64 bit flash player from adobe in beta. If you want adobe reader you have to use version 8.2. When you download it you have to declare your operating system as windows 2000 sp4 or windows server 2003. But it works good in win 7 64.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You can download any version of Adobe Reader, w/o any questions, at File Hippo.

http://www.filehippo.com

Just select the program that you want, all versions will be listed. For example, on Win 2K SP4, FF 4.0 & the latest Adobe won't install. FF 3.6.15 & Adobe 9.4 are the latest versions that it'll run on it.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Adobe Reader is huge and bloated beyond what it really does. I highly recommend using either Nitro PDF Reader of FoxIt PDF Reader. Both are much smaller and don't load unnecessary software such as Adobe DLM, etc.

Ask a Question