Mozilla releases Firefox 4

Reaction score
FF 3.6.16 is stable and works very well with most add-ons, so I'm sticking with that for now.

Reaction score
I am now using FF4 have been for over a week, the first time I tried it I installed it over 3.6.16, which was a big mistake numerous items did not work the back and forward buttons did not work and a few other items. I then went back to the 3.6.16 version for awhile. I then did a complete uninstall of 3.6.16 to include personal folder. I however backed up my bookmarks. to my desktop. I then did a clean re-install of FF4 and everything has been working. If I want to use some of my old add ons that do not work on FF 4 I just use Pale Moon version 3.6.15 which is really a FF clone.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Of course, a halt in FF4 could have been caused by any other piece of software in your system interacting negatively with FF4's memory space. Or it could have been any one of your addons, many of which have a profoundly deleterious effect on the overall stability and speed of Firefox.
I don't have that many addons (only 4, adblock plus, better privacy, down them all & no script). ESET NOD32, my choice of AV protection, is easy on resources.

Ever since upgrading to FF 4.0, my temps has risen, the fan comes on more too (when using FF4). And my CPU usage is higher. I always monitor these things. Too, I keep my HDD defragged with Perfect Disc Pro, a paid program, and other than when running FF 4, there's been no problems. Others has reported issues, too.

Since reverting back to 3.6.16, all is fine.

No offense towards Mozilla, as I know that they strive to produce the best product possible. But with the recent release of IE9, and Chrome, Opera & Safari in the mix of things, they probably felt rushed to release 4. They've fought hard to get where they are, and don't want to lose the ground that they've gained.

I do feel like they will iron things out, as they always do. BTW, even Linux Mint, which in recent months has always updated to the latest version of FF, has still not added 4 to the list yet. It updated to 3.6.16, the same day that the version for Windows was released.

There's too many complaints about FF4 for it to be a coincidence. Some may not have problems, and that's good. When there's less problems reported, I'll reinstall it and give it another rightful shot. It's not that I have anything against FF, for the most part, it's been my default browser since 3.5RC, and I can say that I've been a happy camper.

Cat

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
No offense towards Mozilla, as I know that they strive to produce the best product possible. But with the recent release of IE9, and Chrome, Opera & Safari in the mix of things, they probably felt rushed to release 4. They've fought hard to get where they are, and don't want to lose the ground that they've gained.
I totally agree. It seemed rather odd to me that FF updated to 3.6.16 then a few days later IE9 came out and then almost the very next day FF had the update to 4, I've never seen FF update from one version to the next that quickly and feel they rushed the update as competition to IE.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm still running 3.6.16, and no more freezes to report. Not to mention that my CPU usage & temps (the fan not constantly kicking in) are better.

Cat

Reaction score
Ever since upgrading to FF 4.0, my temps has risen, the fan comes on more too (when using FF4). And my CPU usage is higher. I always monitor these things. Too, I keep my HDD defragged with Perfect Disc Pro, a paid program, and other than when running FF 4, there's been no problems. Others has reported issues, too.
I can accept that you don't appreciate the software for whatever reason. I myself am no longer a Firefox user for reasons of my own. However, it's disconcerting to see baseless accusations about a product that quite literally has no impact on any of the mechanisms you're describing, except (and only potentially) for CPU usage.

A browser doesn't make one lick of difference to your CPU temp, which in turn means no difference for your fan.

I totally agree. It seemed rather odd to me that FF updated to 3.6.16 then a few days later IE9 came out and then almost the very next day FF had the update to 4, I've never seen FF update from one version to the next that quickly and feel they rushed the update as competition to IE.
I sense that you and Cat do not understand how Mozilla does their software development cycles. Every version that they release that increments the THIRD number place (x.x.16) is a security patch. They release security patches, just like Microsoft, on a fairly regular basis, and these updates are delivered on a completely unrelated schedule from the core software updates that increment that major version number (4.x.x).

Firefox 4 had been in beta for almost a year. I used almost every nightly build, about 229 of them in all, from the time Firefox 4 went into beta, until it was release as a gold product. I also used every release candidate along the way.

The fact that the major Firefox 4 release coincided with a security patch for Firefox 3.x is utterly irrelevant.

This all goes back to a broader concern I have: I've never seen people so quick to bash Firefox for unproven and bizarre reasons. Every time I stop by this forum, someone seems to be dragging Firefox through the mud for a reason that isn't even technologically possible. This thread is a perfect example of that.

I am no apologist, let me tell you. I stopped using Firefox and have since moved on to Chrome, but the things that are being said in this thread about Firefox are false, and I feel it's important to try and set the record straight for other people who might stop by and see what w7f has to offer.

Please take my comments in the kindest manner you might imagine. I mean no offense.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Thank for the information Thrax, I don't go into the "guts" so to speak and was not aware that the 3.6.16 was just a security patch and not an update per se. I've never "bashed" FF and still use it as my main browser, it just seemed odd to me.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I don't know about the internals of the browsers myself, just what I read in various articles. But I'm not bashing FF, I'm still using it, just the earlier version. 3.6.16 just runs better on my desktop.

Hopefully, when I get a new notebook, I won't have a problem with the latest FF, as I do prefer to use the latest version of any browser that I use.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
FF.4 is finally running good for me, though on a different computer. I did try once again a couple of days ago on my desktop, still problems.

And it's not the AV, as I run NOD32 on both. My addons are the same too. Funny how one computer can run FF4 & another can't. I'm glad that it runs well on my notebook, but would like to see it run as well on my desktop. For more reasons than one, I prefer to run the latest version of any browser possible.

Cat

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I don't like to run the latest version of a browser, regardless of which one it is. Any release usually follows with bug fixes and security patches soon thereafter, and I prefer to let others put their feet in those landmines.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's probably the best approach. Nearly all browsers have flaws when released, usually they get fixed at some point.

That's evidently the way the Mint developers sees it too, in recent months, they've had an updated FF after each release (now at 3.6.16), just as Windows does. Not so with 4.0.

Cat

Reaction score
its now an awesome browser
the tab bar is like that of chrome and i like that
i got no problem and its to small in size to download

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It works for me on both computers now, the bugs must have been worked out. I just reupdated FF to 4.0 on my desktop yesterday, it's no longer acting up.

Yes I agree, FF is an awesome browser. It's just that when a new browser is released, it's best to wait a couple of weeks before installing. That way, anything that's wrong can be fixed.

Cat

Reaction score
Hey guys. Question for you. so I am using 4.0.1
Is there anyway I can make my toolbar look normal?

How do I move my home button and reload button to where they belong? As I illustrate on my screenshot.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Hey guys. Question for you. so I am using 4.0.1
Is there anyway I can make my toolbar look normal?

How do I move my home button and reload button to where they belong? As I illustrate on my screenshot.

Right-click right underneath either button in the empty space and select the bottom option to pull up the toolbar editing window. Once it pops up, you are able to drag and drop those buttons wherever you want to on the toolbar, or even add extra buttons should you like. Then just close the pop-up window by clicking Done and you are, well, done.

Reaction score
Right-click right underneath either button in the empty space and select the bottom option to pull up the toolbar editing window. Once it pops up, you are able to drag and drop those buttons wherever you want to on the toolbar, or even add extra buttons should you like. Then just close the pop-up window by clicking Done and you are, well, done.
sweeeet! thanks!

Reaction score
Have I mentioned that I love you? In a strictly manly handshake type of way.

Ask a Question