Mozilla releases Firefox 4

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Been using FF4 for a few days and feel it may have been a bit rushed. For no reason I find all the web pages I go to on a daily basis all seem to load slower in FF4 than in the previous version.

I even did a test where I click a bookmark link in FF4 and compaired the same site loading in IE and IE was faster (not by much, but definately noticable). I am thinking of going back to the version before 4 as it's really getting annoying

Reaction score
I already deleted FF4 and reverted back to 3.6.16 as it runs much smoother and plays much nicer with all of the extensions that I am currently using.

Besides behaving strangely in general, I also noticed that FF4 is still a major memory hog. Within a few seconds of launching it (and not going to any specific site) Task Manager process showed a whopping 117,000 K, which compared to 50,000 - 78,000 that 3.6.16 normally hovers close to, is far too much memory pull for my liking.

IMHO FF4 is heavy on cosmetic changes and animated fluff, but light on stability and functionality. I'm leaving it alone for now. I'm content with version 3.6.16.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have no problem with the memory portion as I have 12 gig of memory, I have FF4 after a lot of consternation and angst running correctly, It took a complete uninstall of 3.6.16 including all personal information then installing FF 4 completely clean, Before I did that though I saved my book Marks to my desktop so I could re-import them after I got FF 4 running. I also use Pale Moon which is a FF 3.6.15 clone of said version of FF

Reaction score
I only have 3 gigs of memory, so that may have something to do with the excessive pull on my system. That notwithstanding, I never encountered any issues installing and running FF4. I just uninstalled 3.6.16 and installed FF4 right behind it. I left my personal info and bookmarks alone and they worked fine in FF4 without my having to do any reinstallation or tweaking of any kind. My issue is that I just did not like how FF4 ran after it was installed, so I deleted it for now.

A friend suggested that I try Pale Moon, but since it stores its files in the same folder as FF, I do not want any conflicting behavior to occur between FF and Pale Moon, so I decided not to try this browser, as I looked at the site and wasn't convinced that it was a faster and more streamlined version of FF.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I am not a FireFox user, but keep the updates running , as an alternative browser.
But can anyone tell me, how I "organise" my bookmarks. In previous versions, there was such a function.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Read my post! In version 4. (At least in my installation) there is no such command.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Sorry if you misunderstood. I was following the thread title. Thanks Cliff. That was it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My home page using Firefox 4 opens in lest than 0.10 of a second. Bookmarks open with the same speed. I do use 2 Pane Bookmarks which makes it easier to use Bookmarks. To organize my bookmarks, I just open up bookmarks and RC on the menu and choose want I want done.

Reaction score
I use FF 4 however I also use Pale Moon browser which is really FF 3.6.15, this gives me the best of both, and allows one to compare the differences.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Still with IE ("9" now). It does everything I need. But, lol, I do not think I would notice a 0.10 sec difference. How did you measure it?

Reaction score
Still with IE ("9" now). It does everything I need. But, lol, I do not think I would notice a 0.10 sec difference. How did you measure it?
At the time I was using myway as a home page and it gives you the load time. Mine was 0.08 of a second. This was not after a restart though. If you restart your PC Firefox 4 takes longer to load. It has gotten better since about half way through the nightlies. Back then it took almost two minutes to load after a PC restart. I also use Palmoon for awhile until Firefox 4 went final as you don't have the profile issues then.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I've now rolled back to the version prior to 4 and am going to wait awhile before upgrading. Along with the longer to access the internet issue I was having, FF4 was not always fully closing when I closed the browser and had to use Task Manager to quit it entirely.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
draceena, I had to use the Task Manager 3 times on Saturday to close FF 4.0, initially I thought it had to do with an Ashampoo program (a free burning studio) that I had installed, but even after uninstalling it, the issue persisted.

After a full scan w/NOD32, all was clean, so I knew that it was a bug in FF 4.0.

So for the rest of the day, I bounced between using IE9 & Opera w/no problems. Then Sunday, FF ran OK. It's ran fine since then. Mozilla is notable for correcting bugs on the run, which isn't really a bad thing, as they're open source, and can patch things in a hurry, once the issue is isolated. Hence the rapid releases for the 3.6 versions (now at 3.6.16), two versions once released within a week's time, to repair a bug.

There are already mentions of FF 5 & 6 releases by years end, 6 may be pushing things, but 5 may happen.

All of the other major browsers have upcoming plans for new versions, Opera has a new Beta out already.

FF 4 is looking good, I expect it to continue it's climb in the charts. Thanks to MS for alienating it's loyal XP customers for not paying their Windows taxes recently (a new OS), half of the computing world won't even see IE9, or the recent version of Windows Live products, while FF's stock will continue to climb.

Many thanks to Mozilla, along with the ones at Opera, Google and even Apple for still acknowledging XP's still powerful user base. While it's a declining base, it's still a few hundred million strong, and it's users deserves a new browser too, as they're still supported for another 3 years.

Cat

Reaction score
I have had problems with FF4 initially my install over the top of 3.6.15 did not work well, back and forward buttons did not work along with a few other various things. I did a complete uninstal of the old ff including personal folders, clean installed FF4 everything was fine for a few days then mouse started acting up when in FF it kept cutting in and out. I uninstalled FF$ including personal folder, waited a couple of days re-installed FF 4 everything has been running fine since the. I also use Chrome Beta Version, and Pale Moon which in reality is FF 3.6.15 and of course IE 9 Fire Fox has always been my default browser.

Reaction score
I have had problems with FF4 initially my install over the top of 3.6.15 did not work well, back and forward buttons did not work along with a few other various things.
Yeah have that too. I think what solves the issue is to install without any FF installed. This new release has some issues :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Some of what it may be is the addons to the browser that's causing the issue. I've noticed since the very first FF 4.0 Beta was released, some of my addons didn't work, and there was no replacement for them.

What you can try is a clean install. Add on Firefox Sync to save your bookmarks, you'll be required to create a password for this, then sync your bookmarks. Once FF is removed (totally), reinstall 4.0, follow the instructions as how to activate FF Sync to your newly installed FF, you should be good.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Last night and today, FF 4.0 has frozen on me, not even the Task Manager could end the process. During the time I was waiting, I was able to use IE9 and the latest Opera Beta with no problems to report.

Until Mozilla refines 4.0 to where it's dependable, I won't use it anymore. I installed 3.6.16, and it hasn't happened again (yet). I had no problems with the various 3.6 versions, so I'll try that for a while, along with Opera & IE9.

I have an issue with IE9, but I'm not going to crash this thread about the problem.

Cat

Reaction score
Of course, a halt in FF4 could have been caused by any other piece of software in your system interacting negatively with FF4's memory space. Or it could have been any one of your addons, many of which have a profoundly deleterious effect on the overall stability and speed of Firefox.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Recently I've been having issues with the new FF 4 so I am going to stick with IE9 for awhile till they get it fixed.

Ask a Question