Mozilla Firefox 29 released.

Shintaro

Reaction score
The latest Firefox can be downloaded from HERE.

Or if you already have Firefox go to: Help -> About Firefox and it will guide you through the upgrade to the new version.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Have you already installed it? Do you know if version 29 include the "ad tiles" that Mozilla was planning to incorporate? Source

Reaction score
Looks the same as 27 and 28 to me. I'm not sure what the tiles are you mentioned, but it sounds like something I would have noticed.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When you open a new tab the plan is that it will have "ad tiles". Basically a limited set of advertisements to provide Mozilla some income.

Shintaro

Reaction score
To be honest I haven't tried it on a fresh install. I have a lot of ad and site blocking going on. I will try to install it on a clean system today.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
My new tab page is currently set to default to MSN so I'm not too worried as long as they allow that to continue, and ads don't start popping up elsewhere. So if you haven't noticed any ads, that's information enough.

Reaction score
Mozilla announces plans to test sponsored tiles on Firefox's new-tab page
Every time a user opens up a new tab in Firefox, the browser displays nine boxes -- or Tiles -- showing screenshots of his most visited websites. According to Darren Herman, Mozilla's vice president of content services, what Tiles display is currently based on an algorithm which combines your recency and frequency of visiting a site.

He says that the algorithm takes about a month of normal browsing behavior to update Tiles. Due to this the new-tab page is of no use for new users, and this is where the company wants to cash in.

This means that the sponsored Tiles will appear only to new Firefox users, or people who have re-installed their browser, and will be automatically replaced with content more relevant to the user after the initial 30-45 day period.
You may have already read this. But when I read it, I thought about this conversation. It seems the sponsored tiles will disappear after a month or two, based on how the algorithm is programmed.

Ask a Question