Modem. Thomson Speedtouch 536

Reaction score
Got windows 7 basically installed but it totally fails to see my modem and the driver disk I have tells me it's the wrong one for the system.
Tried searching the net fro drivers but no luck.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
What type of connection is it? Cable,DSL?

How does it connect to the computer? RJ45,USB?

Thomson model? Edit: sorry, in the tittle

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The Thomson modem is an ADSL modem. Which means it's an Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line modem which is the most common for telephone line internet connections.

There really are no OS drivers for it as the modem is OS independent. At least that's what the tech specs stated when I looked at the PDF format spec sheet available here:http://www.technicolor.com/en/hi/ho...-gateways/data-wired/adsl/technicolor-st536v6

Routers and modems don't have "specific" drivers for various operating systems because they reside outside of the operating system itself. With your setup, the computer merely connects via the RJ-45 WAN Ethernet port to the same on the modem.

You might try turning off the modem and let it sit for about 30-45 seconds, (make sure your computer is turned off too) then turn the modem back on and let it go through it's self-test on power up and then turn on your computer. Sometimes this is necessary to get the router the recognize the new setup.

Try that and keep us posted.

Reaction score
Yeah tried all the usual tricks of cycling it. To be fair ( and it proves the correctness of the test) the upgrade advisor said there "may be problems with this device" so it was not telling fibs.
USB connection.
Re-booting into XP it works fine. DSL type.

Reaction score
Ta, I saw that one when I was hunting for a solution late last night. I'll have to have a fiddle but I think the ethernet port from the modem is going to my router.
Although thinking about it my router should have an ethernet out.
I seem to recall something yrs ago where I tried it with XP and either XP and/or my current Mobo did not like it so went to the USB.
I wonder if I could connect safely with both the USB and ethernet so whichever O/S I'm in would work.

Reaction score
Mychael can you explain how all your devices are connected and which cables are used.

When you mention using a modem, a router, and not using an ethernet cable, this confuses me.

Reaction score
Ok, phoneline to modem. From modem One cable to router so I have wireless and other outs if I need them. Router sends one cable to VOIP box.
Second out from modem terminates in USB end which goes direct to PC.

Structered so modem and router not dependent on PC being powered up so the G/F can use her laptop.

Reaction score
You already have your network setup the way you need it.

All you need to do is drop the USB connection and connect to the router through the ethernet port. Once you have network drivers installed, you should have no trouble getting Internet connection. There really is no difference between XP, Vista, or Win7 where Internet access across an ethernet port is concerned.

Reaction score
I've got it happening short term by plugging modem direct to PC with ethernet port.
Oddly the Ethernet port works in 7 but not in XP.

I think I'll invest in a new modem/router combo. Probably a Linksys.

All updates have downloaded so far so good. No issue atm, no crashes or boot issues.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
You should be able to use one of the LAN ethernet port on the router to connect the computer to.

Our setup here is: cable modem single ethernet port to Netgear Wireless router with 2 computer connected directly to the 2 of the 4 LAN ethernet ports on the rear of the router and 3 computers connected via wireless N.

Your router does have at least 2 or so LAN ports on the rear doesn't it?

Reaction score
Yes it does, but for whatever reason I've never been able to run this pc directly from it. Never been an issue with XP as it ran fine from the USB connection to the modem.
My Macs and HP lappy all work fine from the router.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
The router connection will be more secure for your computer if it's a hardwire connection to the ethernet port using an ethernet cable. You'll have SPI and NAT, sort of like a hardware firewall built-in to the router.

Just do it, it will save you time and such. It is much simpler and more secure too. I don't mean to come across as bossy or a know-it-all, but it really is much easier to do as I suggested. Don't worry you won't clog up the router.

Reaction score
Oh I would do it that way but for some reason it wont work that way. From router to pc via cable is not recognised. Always been that way with this pc. I think it's some MoBo issue

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Did you check to verify that the LAN connection is "Enabled" in the BIOS of the motherboard? If you have an onboard LAN connection on the motherboard it may have been disabled.

Gigabyte's website states that you have a "high speed Gigabit Ethernet connection" for the G33-DS3R mobo. It is a RealTek chipset, so the driver is easy to locate and install.

It is a Realtek RTL8111B LAN Controller chipset.

Go to this link to download the latest driver from Realtek dated 12-22-2010 http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...d=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Download the driver only, it's good for both 32-bit and 64-bit, then use the Device Manager to point the hardware to the folder where the driver resides.

Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Driver v7.034 2010/12/22 613k

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks, I can try that. Did I mention though that if I directly connect the modem to the pc via the LAN connection it will work but only under Win 7.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Normally the set-up is phone in <-> ADSL modem <-> wireless router <-> Wireless + Up to four wired devices (computers & VOIP via ethernet cable to the LAN/RJ45 jack). Doesn't your router have multiple wired connections? Plug in there rather than take your wireless out of commission.

Now the main modem itself doesn't need one but your ethernet port DOES require a driver and it sounds like you may be missing that driver in XP. When you hooked up the USB a driver got loaded to support that connection (there must be an extra bit of hardware in the modem and it does use a USB driver) which is why that would work in XP and apparently W7 doesn't find drivers to run THAT connection.

So you either need an XP driver to "power" your RJ45 LAN port in XP -OR- you need a W7 driver to support the USB connectivity in your ADSL modem -OR- you keep it plugged in both ways and use the one that works in each OS.

In XP, if you go to device manager, don't you have any items with an yellow highlighted exclamation point as not working? If you search for a driver for that it may well make your RJ45 jack function in XP and then you wouldn't need the USB connect.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Nibs how the heck do you find all these drivers? Admittedly I didn't look for this one but you have to know the MOBO and the chipsets etc ... it's a hassle. And most of the time when I search, most of what I get are those dang driver sites where they want you to install there driver detector program and sell you solutions.

Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Driver
Nibs was there an XP driver there too? It sounds like he's missing that driver in WinXP but it's working in W7 when he runs ethernet, If I read that correctly that driver may be an update to his W7 driver. Or are you saying the 32-bit should work in XP as well?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I looked at his computer specs and then went to the Gigabyte website page for his model of mobo. Read the specifications and then went to www.realtek.com.tw for the latest driver. That link by the way also has the XP drivers on the same page too, plus Linux and Mac drivers.

Realtek makes the majority of their drivers where the 32-bit and 64-bit are in one package.

Reaction score
Weirder and Weirder I booted into 7 this evening and it got internet THROUGH THE USB without me changing or doing anything. ??????

Ask a Question