Cable modem USB get off after time unused

Reaction score
Hello, recently I upgrade from XP to Windows 7. After that, muy Multitech USB modem, get off after certain time. The modem answer the call in, but it cant comunicate with system, so, the dial in dont receive a response from the system.

I read that Windows 7 have a property to shutdown the USB device if they are unused for a period. I setup Power Options, and disabled " USB selective suspend settings". But the modem continue go stand by.

I really much appreciate any help you could give me.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Your modem should be in control panel > device manager. Right-click on it and choose Properties. Is there a Power Management tab? If there is, be sure "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is NOT checked.

Reaction score
Hi, thank's for your reply. Power Management tab is there, but checkbox "Allow the computer..." is disabled, and also is unchecked. Is imposible change this checkbox. I think that is because i setup the Power Scheme, to disbled the system to shutdown de USB device to save power.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm still not exactly clear what is causing your issue, it may have nothing to do with sleep at all.

Does your modem actually get a connection so that you can surf the web, etc? if not then you may not even have the correct driver installed.

And if it does connect, will it shut down even while you are using it? If so then it's probably not a sleep issue. It could be a firewall problem and you are not acknowledging pings from your ISP so THEY disconnect you.

Reaction score
I'm still not exactly clear what is causing your issue, it may have nothing to do with sleep at all.

Does your modem actually get a connection so that you can surf the web, etc? if not then you may not even have the correct driver installed.

And if it does connect, will it shut down even while you are using it? If so then it's probably not a sleep issue. It could be a firewall problem and you are not acknowledging pings from your ISP so THEY disconnect you.
I not sure too. The modem setup with the standar drivers, the system automatic drivers with detected, so I download the drivers from oficial site, and I going to tested it.

The firewall is OK, and the problem not include the ISP, because, the modem is only for dial-in call. It attached to the PC for conected from home.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK, I misunderstood. I think it probably functions like a DSL modem which means you would need to have it set to Wake-on-LAN.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS for your computer.
And then in the BIOS, see if there is a setting for Wake-on-LAN.

Reaction score
Hello, thanks again.

As I say, i downloaded the original drivers from manufacturer, but the problem continued. I dont know what I need to do it.

I think, if I check the checkbox Permit this device wake-up system, that can happen !?

It's the only thing I have not tried.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You can try it; but I believe you need a setting in your BIOS, not in your OS. You need Wake on LAN enabled in the BIOS.

Ask a Question