Microsoft: Windows 8 is about two years away

Reaction score
Microsoft: Windows 8 is about two years away

In a blog post on its Dutch Web site, Microsoft not only referred to the next release of its PC operating system as Windows 8, which is the first time it has done so officially, but the company said it is about two years away from release. Microsoft has widely said that after the long time it took the company to bring Windows Vista to market, it would go back to a three-year cycle. The company managed to deliver early with Windows 7, in time for last year's holiday season. It is thus widely expected that Microsoft will have Windows 8 ready for the 2012 holiday season, but now the company has gone on record saying that it should arrive two years from now.
Read more here - http://www.techspot.com/news/40823-microsoft-windows-8-is-about-two-years-away.html

Please feel free to leave any comments on our Windows 8 Forum. :)

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Its sad to see that next Payment is 2 Light years away...:mad:

Well recently my friend got it from a website (not sure about the site but will check if any1 wanna try). The response is good as other in our group has tried a short hand on Windows8...I've tried some Windows8 themes on WIndows7 :D

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Um... Nobody knows what Win 8 is going to look like! :eek:

I'll definitely be a beta tester though. I missed Win7 - I won't with Win8

Reaction score
I'm sure everyone knows how the boss loves screaming that projects need to be completed by a certain time or date. And I'm sure everyone knows that projects are never completed on time more so than they are completed on time.

I don't care what the head lines say, I am standing behind those workers that are working for all of us. I will be patient and wait for them to finish their hard work, regardless of when that may be. I don't want to be accused of pushing them into another flop.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I hope it will be at least a couple of years before Windows 8 comes out. Don't get me wrong, I do want to see where Microsoft will take the OS next, and am as impatient about it as the next guy...

The thing is, though, if Windows 8 came out, say, next year, there would still be a huge number of users running 32-bit systems, Office 2003, etc. Microsoft would be more or less forced to work towards pleasing the lowest common denominator, instead of squeezing all capability out of modern hardware. I am hoping that the waiting period will give customers time to acclimate to a world of technology that has moved on beyond the XP days.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I would rather wait another 2 to 4 years and hope that MS does a good thorough job on their next operating system than to have them jump the gun on it.

Reaction score
I would rather wait another 2 to 4 years and hope that MS does a good thorough job on their next operating system than to have them jump the gun on it.
Agree Nibiru that MS should get their heads down & should come up with a better OS even then Win7 & not repeating history of giving 1 damn awesome OS followed by a S*&t OS like Windows Vista,Millennium,2k erc. Expectations are really high than before so hope we are not disappointed...;)

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I'm easy to please.

A good, simple, reliable, secure, stand alone, ribbon-less mail client would be a big step in the right direction.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I don't think that M$ should be in a hurry or try to meet a timeframe to release Windows 8. In any case, they should give XP a proper burial first, and not release 8 until at least 4/09/2014, the day after all XP support ends forever.

If XP has rode this long, and still has over 50% of the user base, surely Windows 7 will last until XP is gone, with no problem.

And if another Windows is released before then, there will be officially four versions of Windows to have to upkeep. Note that Win 2K was quickly dropped from support, once 7 was released, although that date had been long planned.

The fact remains that Windows cannot support four versions of it's OS's at the same time. Either M$ will have to break their promise to XP users (I doubt so), or the plug will have to be pulled on Vista (more likely).

And another issue, 128 bit computing will have to be placed on the back burner, at least until XP is not supported any longer.

The XP issue is the whole problem. Vista was intended to bury it, then Windows 7 was projected to do so by the year's end, barely more than two months away. Is it going to take yet another OS to do the job, so that we all can move forward? Or will Windows 8 also offer XP Mode? It seems that pleasing the XP crowd is the priority at hand, at least that's what I'm reading and seeing.

What M$ really needs is a purge, one from the very top, on down as far as they have to go. And place someone who is fearless at the very top of the helm. In order to advance, tough decisions has to be made. We have no one capable of making those decisions. Look, Apple has surpassed M$ in total sales, with less than 5% of the computing population in their pockets. That's right, less than 5% of all PC's on the current market has the Mac name on them. Yet, they are making a fortune.

And as much as I don't really care for Apple's products, I will give Jobs credit for this, he is fearless as they come in the business world. He risked it all in cutting off past products and technologies. Some of his ideas were laughed at, even the iPod itself was, when he took on the Sony Walkman, and won big. This is the very type of leadership that M$ needs, one who looks to continually embrace the future, and continually looks to bury the past.

Ballmer was a fine right hand man for Gates, but that's all he was. A right hand man. A prodigy. One who is used to taking orders, rather than giving them. A much larger fist is needed at the podium, one that's hungry and driven to succeed, who wants to be his own, not a well traveled, worn out has been of yesterday. And not afraid of risk, can stand up to temporary boos, and not be concerned about "being popular". Jobs made his decisions, and didn't give a damn who didn't like them, while steadily chewing away M$'s once massive lead. This would've never happened at Gates watch.

As far as Windows 8 goes, if it's forced out within two years, the testing will begin within the next year or so. If it turns out to be another Vista, that 90+% lead that Windows usage carries will not hold up. XP cannot bail out Windows forever. 7 will have to carry the load for a long, long time, just as XP has to this date.

The question is, in today's economy, where people are learning to get by with what they have, will enough newer computers sell to carry that load? Or will users continue to patch and band aid their old computers, just as businesses have done, out of need?

Windows 8 in two years? In today's economy, with yesterday's leadership onboard, it will most likely be a flop. I suppose that the best thing that Windows has going for them is that 7 will be in it's prime by April 2014. Because they'll sure need it.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
C'mon Cat... tell us how you REALLY feel about Microsoft!

Apple does make a lot of money because all their stuff is made in China's sweatshops and then they charge an arm and a leg for it. (But most electronics are made in China these days, it just that most companies sell those products at much more reasonable prices compared to Apple.)

128-bit computing is still at least 4 or 5 years away. No one is making any 128-bit CPUs or related items yet, at least for the mainstream consumer market segment.

From Wikipedia:
There are currently no mainstream general-purpose processors built to operate on 128-bit integers or addresses, though a number of processors do operate on 128-bit data. The System/370, made by IBM, could be considered the first rudimentary 128-bit computer as it used 128-bit floating point registers. Most modern CPUs feature SIMD instruction sets (SSE, AltiVec etc.) where 128-bit vector registers are used to store several smaller numbers, such as four 32-bit floating-point numbers, and a single instruction can operate on all these values in parallel. However, these processors do not operate on individual numbers that are 128 binary digits in length, only their registers have the size of 128-bits.
XP is NOT bailing out Microsoft, it's old and outdated and has gone beyond it usefulness and profitability according to the bell-curve product model. It is no longer even being sold on pre-built machines anymore from the the big computer makers.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
And as much as I don't really care for Apple's products, I will give Jobs credit for this, he is fearless as they come in the business world. He risked it all in cutting off past products and technologies. Some of his ideas were laughed at, even the iPod itself was, when he took on the Sony Walkman, and won big. This is the very type of leadership that M$ needs, one who looks to continually embrace the future, and continually looks to bury the past.

Ballmer was a fine right hand man for Gates, but that's all he was. A right hand man. A prodigy. One who is used to taking orders, rather than giving them. A much larger fist is needed at the podium, one that's hungry and driven to succeed, who wants to be his own, not a well traveled, worn out has been of yesterday. And not afraid of risk, can stand up to temporary boos, and not be concerned about "being popular". Jobs made his decisions, and didn't give a damn who didn't like them, while steadily chewing away M$'s once massive lead. This would've never happened at Gates watch.
You've hit the nail on the head there, Cat.

Microsoft's Chief Software Architect blogged this:
Certain of our competitors’ products and their rapid advancement & refinement of new usage scenarios have been quite noteworthy. Our early and clear vision notwithstanding, their execution has surpassed our own in mobile experiences, in the seamless fusion of hardware & software & services, and in social networking & myriad new forms of internet-centric social interaction.
It's unfortunate that this guy is quitting, because Microsoft needs forward thinking more than they need Steven Ballmer's shirt and tie.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
C'mon Cat... tell us how you REALLY feel about Microsoft!

Apple does make a lot of money because all their stuff is made in China's sweatshops and then they charge an arm and a leg for it. (But most electronics are made in China these days, it just that most companies sell those products at much more reasonable prices compared to Apple.)

128-bit computing is still at least 4 or 5 years away. No one is making any 128-bit CPUs or related items yet, at least for the mainstream consumer market segment.

From Wikipedia:

XP is NOT bailing out Microsoft, it's old and outdated and has gone beyond it usefulness and profitability according to the bell-curve product model. It is no longer even being sold on pre-built machines anymore from the the big computer makers.
You're right, XP isn't bailing Microsoft at this time. But through the Vista years, if it weren't for XP, M$ would've been in deep s**t. Today, Windows 7 has taken that place. And when you have an OS that's selling seven copies per second (last known count by me), why change? Or at least not be openly saying "the next version of Windows" during press conferences. 7 is doing excellent, and M$ doesn't need to screw that success up. There's still billions of dollars to be made off of their current products.

But, I stand by my statement that a new leader will be needed in the near future, not only to get M$ over the hump, but to reclaim their future needs. Ballmer is riding off of prior (and current) products and technologies, but what about the future? If M$ is going to effectively compete and hang on to their 90+% user base, it needs fresh minds, particularity at the top. Success does not come w/o risk, it doesn't always come by being popular, and it doesn't come by sticking with the status quo.

M$ needs a energetic leader, one who'll take a chance (look at Apple's success with Jobs at the helm), and can devote his/her total energy into making M$ the once energetic, constantly forward moving corporation that it once was, while at the same time, squeezing the maximum profits out of it's current offerings. And one who will do their best to have Windows users lined up all night for the latest gadgets, just as Apple's fans are. Microsoft has unlimited potential, they have their own collection of gadgets, but needs the right people in place to push them.

Cat

Ask a Question