Microsoft Security Essentials Version 2.0 now Availiable

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I tried this version out a while back, and it created my first (and only BSOD) on this year old computer. Microsoft Update shows MSE, Silverlight & Windows Live Services as options, I'll wait until it shows on the updating system, before I try to install again.

PS: I double checked Windows update to make sure whether it showed or not, it doesn't. Last night, I installed a VM of XP Pro to run Folding@Home on, one of the final updates was MSE, along with Windows Live. So it's not there yet.

Cat

Last edited:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
MSE hosed my system a few weeks ago to the extent that I couldn't boot even Safe Mode without BSODs. Now, in the interest of fairness, many AV solutions can cause BSODs. But they have never disabled my computer the way this update to MSE did, and this is not the first time MSE has failed me miserably this fall.

I can't in good conscience recommend this piece of crap to anyone, and quite frankly I will likely continue to recommend its prompt removal. MSE has a lot of potential, but as it stands it's just another butcher shop experiment from the Redmond boys.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Actually, I forgot to mention something. That install of MSE last night missed (during it's first full scan) an infection (Win32/SweetIM). So did the latest install of MBAM (they had to update their latest version, 1.50, to 1.50.1).

The ESET Online Scanner found and removed the infection. It came from an alternative PDF reader (PDF Creator 1.1.0) that I was trying out to replace Adobe X with. Just an experiment on a VM, but it could easily be anyone's main computer.

I strongly encourage users to avoid PDF Creator, and encourage users who insists on using MSE to at least use a second scanner, such as the ESET Online Scanner as a backup.

Not to be picking on MSE at all, but it has gained popularity so fast (too fast, IMOP),and is MS's first attempt at a real AV (Windows Defender is for spyware removal), and is attracting hackers like a turd does flies. I've already been hit at least five times now by a virus or malware (one very severe).

Probably tomorrow, on my evaluation version of Windows 7, I'll reinstall Avast, I used them for two years prior to MSE, had very few problems, mainly false alerts from having the security jacked up so high. What infections I did catch with Avast was on XP Pro, not Win 7.

Like Core, I cannot any longer recommend MSE to anyone, five infections within a year is too many for my comfort zone. I will make a change, but will evaluate first.

Cat

Reaction score
This is why I am running it on my Virtual XP, I do run the previous version of MSE on my main computer and have never had a problem with it. I have had only 3 i attempts at my maschine being infected since I bought my first computer in 1993, I use MSE Super anti spyware, spyware blaster and Maleware bytes

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
This is why I am running it on my Virtual XP, I do run the previous version of MSE on my main computer and have never had a problem with it. I have had only 3 i attempts at my maschine being infected since I bought my first computer in 1993, I use MSE Super anti spyware, spyware blaster and Maleware bytes
Can the new version of MSE be run on XP now? When it first came out, it couldn't, you had to have Vista SP1 or above. At that time, you had to register for the the download, it was a few months back.

I guess MS had to pacify the XP crowd, after all. I use it, but only for folding, I wouldn't dare to conduct business or check my email with it. Too insecure for that kind of use.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I did a clean install of XP Pro for a friend the other day on their totally infected 5 year old system and now MSE is included in the XP Optional Updates section.

XP isn't that insecure or it wouldn't have lasted or be so popular for these past 9 years. It's how you configure it and the AV or IS or firewall software used that makes a huge difference. Remember, hundreds of millions of users DID check their emails and DID conduct business with XP and nearly all had no issues at all.

Reaction score
I tried it Staurdy for a few hours. Ran a full scan with it on a clean install of Windows 7 and it didn't find any threats. I then installed Malwarebytes 1.50 and let it update itself. I then restarted my pc into Safe Mode and ran MSE 2.0 again. Again nothing found. I then ran a full scan with Malwarebytes in Safe Mode and it found alot of Adware that MSE missed. I then uninstalled MSE and went back to using Kaspersky Internet Security 2011. KIS 2011 wasn't installed while MSE 2.0 was.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I did a clean install of XP Pro for a friend the other day on their totally infected 5 year old system and now MSE is included in the XP Optional Updates section.

XP isn't that insecure or it wouldn't have lasted or be so popular for these past 9 years. It's how you configure it and the AV or IS or firewall software used that makes a huge difference. Remember, hundreds of millions of users DID check their emails and DID conduct business with XP and nearly all had no issues at all.
Yes, MSE is now an available update for XP SP3 & above, but not the newer version of it. I just last night installed XP to fold with inside of Linux Mint.

XP has been very popular these past 9 years, I can't argue that. But the main reason that XP still has over 50% usage is due to the economy. For many, it's either stick with XP, or go to Linux. Many computer users aren't fortunate enough to have Windows 7, or a computer modern enough for it to operate properly on.

And MSE is a worthy AV, but there are more and more reports of attacks against it. If you're going to run MSE, a second scanner should be used. The ESET Online Scanner is an excellent one to use for that purpose.

But as far as I know, MSE version 2 is not available for XP. It was meant to be for Vista and Win 7 users only. In less than two months, XP will be 10 years old. It can't be catered to forever.

Cat

Reaction score
I'm running Windows 7

My results were with Windows 7 Professional x64. I haven't used Windows XP since January 31, 2007 on my old computer when Windows Vista came out.
Yes, MSE is now an available update for XP SP3 & above, but not the newer version of it. I just last night installed XP to fold with inside of Linux Mint.

XP has been very popular these past 9 years, I can't argue that. But the main reason that XP still has over 50% usage is due to the economy. For many, it's either stick with XP, or go to Linux. Many computer users aren't fortunate enough to have Windows 7, or a computer modern enough for it to operate properly on.

And MSE is a worthy AV, but there are more and more reports of attacks against it. If you're going to run MSE, a second scanner should be used. The ESET Online Scanner is an excellent one to use for that purpose.

But as far as I know, MSE version 2 is not available for XP. It was meant to be for Vista and Win 7 users only. In less than two months, XP will be 10 years old. It can't be catered to forever.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
In less than two months, XP will be 10 years old. It can't be catered to forever.
Windows XP was released on October 25, 2001, to the general public and to retailers worldwide.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Windows XP was released on October 25, 2001, to the general public and to retailers worldwide.
Anyway, I had XP Pro, as my main OS from early 2002 until Nov 2009, almost eight years. The first six years weren't bad at all, but the last two, I had to deal with several infections, a few of which MS had to patch.

My favorite was XP Media Center, a modified version of XP Pro. It required three discs to install, switching the first one in first, then last. A PITA the first time, then back in 2005, the instructions were given on Paul Thurott's site, after the second version was released. It was my version of XP Pro for the last four years that I ran it exclusively.

Super Sarge, I guess MS loosened their requirements, you can now install MSE version 2 on XP. But at first, that wasn't the case. When that version came out, it was posted on this very site, some months back now. It did BSOD my computer, it's first, and only time. I'll run it on XP Pro and see how it does for a while.

But in the meantime, I'm looking for another AV for my desktop, as MSE has let me down five times, four of them on Windows 7, the last one, yesterday, was on that version of XP Pro installed in a VM. That's just too many times in that short a period.

However, thanks for the heads up.

Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
In defense of MSE, like many free anti virus programs, it does not, as far as I am aware, scan for adware. I believe Win32/SweetIm is such, but I am not 100% on that.
As we know, the normal way adware is planted is through shareware or free programs, as it helps generate income for those. It can also come from some websites without the users knowledge.
In spite of that, I find it puzzling, on a clean installation, that any program can find adware?
For the purpose of exploring the issue, could Brkkab give the names of a couple, or have you wiped them totally?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I was ready to give up on MSE altogether, and I installed version 2.0 onto my evaluation version of 7. One of the first options offered was the percentage of CPU usage I wanted, I chose 30%, 50% was the default setting.

This version is doing well on Win 7 so far, and hasn't slowed the computer like the original version does. The first time that I tried it, was a nightmare, but that's been some months back, when MSE 2.0 links were first posted on this forum.

If you're a standard MSE user and are having issues with RAM hogging when using or updating MSE, 2.0 is worth a shot.

Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It should be pointed out that the option is only available if you have, and for, a scheduled scan selected.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'd still say that the newer version is better than the old. There was another member recently (within a day or two) that was complaining that the update process of MSE was hogging RAM. It was doing it to me, too. But with the newer version, it's not.

Probably before too long, this version will replace the version that we've been using, as it seems like a lot of the bugs have been worked out. The first time that I installed it, it gave me the first (and only) BSOD. Programs were hanging when you tried to open them, too. It really has made some large improvements in the last few months.

If you're not content with the regular version of MSE, this one is worth at least a shot to try out. I've yet to have problems with it, but if I do, I'll report it ASAP on the forum.

Cat

Reaction score
On my 7 machine I'm running version 2.0.657.0 of MSE and Avast free. So far so good. On another thread I mentioned how MSE now seems to completely monopolize system resources when it's updating. It never used to do that.

Ask a Question