Microsoft Security Essentials Version 2.0 now Availiable

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Is it important?, and do you mean the updates for the definitions? Not being rude Mychael, but on my mediocre test machine, downloading and installing the definitions, on a daily basis, takes about 1 minute. I can defer if it is more conveient, and install them at my leisure.
But, more to the point, I must confess that I do normally carry on working and have not noticed any depreciation of resources.

Reaction score
I know it's weird. Yes, definitions updates. I've had MSE on my XP machine pretty much since I found these forums and it was always good and not at all resource hungry. Just lately as in the last couple of weeks it locks everything up while it's downloading.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Maybe you should explore your internet connection options. I fekll the problem is there and not with MSE.

Reaction score
Have to disagree Dave,any other program updates don't interfere in the same way and I can download video or files without issue.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I was going to switch back to Avast, but I read the details on the free version, it protects you when you're web searching, but not making purchases or transactions. It was recommended to buy the security suite, for a promo price of $19.99 for a year.

I'm not going to say that I'll never pay for an AV suite, but there are too many good free options on the table, along with a couple of powerful online scanners (ESET & F-Secure). Even with the best AV on the market, not using common sense can burn you. Most likely, the cause of most infections are caused be careless computing, clicking onto pop-up ads, opening spam, going to questionable web sites, etc. I've been guilty of the same, and this is how I know.

Mycheal, I hope that MSE version 2.0 serves you well. It has me, so far.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Comodo has a free internet security suite available which protects you surfing, banking, whatever.

We use it on two of the house computers here and it works very well.

Download Comodo Internet Security for Windows

Scroll down the page and you'll see the free version of Internet Security listed as the third choice after the free firewall and free anti-virus.

Be sure to select the version of Windows Operating System you have for the proper download.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'll give the AV (the second option) a shot on XP Mode and see how it does. I don't really want to mess with the firewall, as I've never had problems with the Windows one.

Cat

Reaction score
Once I'm satisfied that 7 wont go flakey on me I plan on buying a full version of ESET Node32. I've emailed them already and they said that one purchase/license I can use for install on both my XP & 7.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's cool. The good thing about the AV is that no matter which side you're booting into, it'll do a full scan on both partitions.

Even though you can't install MSE onto Win 2K, when scanning from XP or Win 7, it'll still fully scan Win 2K from there. Equally, with Avast installed onto 2K, it'll scan the entire notebook (except Linux Mint partition).

Hope that you enjoy ESET, it's really a quality AV. I use their online scanner weekly, and it finds things that MSE misses regularly.

Cat

Reaction score
I've moved exclusively to ESET now on both O/S's. Removed AVG&MSE from XP and AVAST&MSE from 7.
A few interesting things, ESET would not install on 7 till all updates were installed even though 7 itself said it was up to date, I had to do a lot of fannying about to get ESET happy to install then it went fine with a fast install.

Install took longer on XP and it immediatly found 8 threats but otherwise went well. you have to go through more options in setup with ESET but it's not difficult.

Both machines now boot up noticebly quicker.

I've retained, Spybot, Malewarebytes & Super anti spyware with no apparent conflicts.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm not at all surprised at your faster boot up times, as both Avast & AVG are rather heavy on resources. When MSE emerged and I replaced Avast with it, it was a noticeable change.

Now that I have MSE version 2.0, my boot times are even faster. Like you, I noticed a slowdown when the regular version of MSE was updating. We both have two entirely different computers, yours is much more powerful than mine, yet we shared the same issue.

MBAM & SAS should give you no problems, as I have them, too.

Cat

Reaction score
I did like the way Avast spoke to you when it did something. (I grew up on a diet of sci-fi)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I liked that, and that "car stereo" look of the '90's too. It was good eye candy for it's time.

Reaction score
There used to be a program I had with '98. It gave you a selection of 'heads', I choose an alien and they spoke when you did certain command inputs to open and close programs.

Reaction score
just tried this but it causes eyefinity and black ops to become laggy

Last edited by a moderator:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I still think that G DATA rocks! For $39.95 per year for superior protection for their internet security suite, it's the best deal around for purchased AV/IS software.

AVComparatives February 2010

The result: with an outstanding detection performance of 99.6 percent,
G Data Internet Security 2010 was a clear head in front of the competition.
Tested Version: G Data Internet Security 2010

vb 100 Award April 2010

Those dual engines really come into play in the detection tests, where
truly superb detection levels were attained across the sets, with even
the later weeks of the RAP sets handled well. With no issues in the Wild List
or clean sets, G Data Software, Inc. easily earns another VB100 award.
Tested Version: G Data Internet Security 2010

Ask a Question