Microsoft Security Essentials question

Reaction score
I installed MSE last week on a new pc I built that's running Windows 7 Professional x64. I have it configured to check for updates before performing a Full Scan daily at 9:00 A.M.
Why is it that these 9:00 A.M. Full Scans aren't starting until 11:29 A.M.
My computer isn't being used at 9 A.M. by me or anyone else.

Reaction score
Yes the timr is starts is correct

Yes, the 11:29 A.M. time is when it started today. It was still scanning until a little after 1:00 P.M..
I noticed over the weekend it wasn't starting until after 10:30 - 11:00 A.M.
This morning I had to go get some lab work done at the hospital.
I got home at about 12:50 P.M. , right clicked Security Essential to open it and it was still scanning my C: drive. The time it said for starting was 11:29A.M. It still hadn't gotten to my D: drive, where Contacts, Documents, Downloads,Music, Photos, Saved Games and Videos are stored. Here's a screenshot of Security Essentials and msinfo32 zipped.
Are you sure that is when it starts or is that the time the scan finishes?

Attachments

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Make sure that in your scheduled scan options that the option "Start the scheduled scan only when my computer is on but not in use" is unchecked. Don't forget to click to save changes.

This is how I have MSE configured to auto update and scan, at 1:00AM, when I'm usually on it. That way, I know that it's working as it should.

Hope this helps.

Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Not the object of the OP's enquiry, but isn't a daily full scan a little overboard?
I choose manual and run the scan when it suits me - usually not more than fortnightly, fwiw.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I never run the full scan while using the computer, but I do a short one every night. That way, it will stay updated, and hunt for viruses while I'm on here. I do a full scan about every three days with MSE, while I'm not on here, manually.

Cat

Reaction score
Computer Froze Up

When I turned my monitor on my computer was froze up. Mouse wouldn't move. Booted into Safe Mode ran Check Disk on D: partition (ran inside safe mode. Didn't request to schedule it as normal.)No errors on D:. Ran Check Disk on C:. No errors there.
What happens if you set it to run at 6:30 ?

Reaction score
That option was never checked from the get go.

That option was never checked. The only options I set were the Full Scan, Time, Frequency (Daily) and Check for Signature Updates Before Scan. The option you mentioned Cat has always been unchecked since MSE installation.
Make sure that in your scheduled scan options that the option "Start the scheduled scan only when my computer is on but not in use" is unchecked. Don't forget to click to save changes.

This is how I have MSE configured to auto update and scan, at 1:00AM, when I'm usually on it. That way, I know that it's working as it should.

Hope this helps.

Cat

Reaction score
Better to be safe than sorry.

May be overkill, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Especially, with all the new malware out there.
Not the object of the OP's enquiry, but isn't a daily full scan a little overboard?
I choose manual and run the scan when it suits me - usually not more than fortnightly, fwiw.

Reaction score
It could be somehow related to a regional issue. The machine may be in one time zone and set for it while MSE is somehow going by a different time zone.

I dunno, it's just a guess.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
brkkab123, do you have a recent backup of your computer that was taken while the computer was working fine? If so, now may be a good time to revert to it. You should have a rescue CD to boot from to begin the process.

If you were having no problems at the time of the backup, you should be good to go, assuming that you have no hardware problems that developed afterward.

Keep us posted.

Cat

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Your computer likely went into hibernation. Many computers including mine don't hibernate they go in to a dang coma. There is a power management setting in device manager you can tell it not to put the mouse to sleep, this may help. Keyboard spacebar is another possibility to wake it up. And increasing or disabling sleep options are another possibility if you can not get it to ever wake when this happens.

I honestly don't believe this has anything to do with the virus scanning issue. Can you check scan logs to see if that ran or tried to run? If your computer was hibernating it may not wake up to run scheduled events but I'm not sure as I disabled sleep/hibernation due to the "coma" issue.

Reaction score
Not set to sleep or hibernate.

My power paln is High Performance. I don't have anything set to Hibernate or Sleep. I turn my montor off myself before bed and that's when MSE is set to scan. When I get up, I update MSE, ThreatFire, etc. and reboot. I then run Windows Update and reboot if needed. I then run Update Notifier from Clearsofts.org, Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer ans Secunia PSI to make sure I didn't miss any updates daily. I also run DriverAgent weekly to track down any updated drivers I may need.
Your computer likely went into hibernation. Many computers including mine don't hibernate they go in to a dang coma. There is a power management setting in device manager you can tell it not to put the mouse to sleep, this may help. Keyboard spacebar is another possibility to wake it up. And increasing or disabling sleep options are another possibility if you can not get it to ever wake when this happens.

I honestly don't believe this has anything to do with the virus scanning issue. Can you check scan logs to see if that ran or tried to run? If your computer was hibernating it may not wake up to run scheduled events but I'm not sure as I disabled sleep/hibernation due to the "coma" issue.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Unless you turned it off in advanced options it may still be set to hibernate w/o sleep. If you go to Power Settings, Sleep may be set to never but please click the Change Advanced Power Settings. In that window under sleep is that also never? hybrid off? hibernate never? Wake timers enable. Also Hard disk - Turn off hard disk never?

Reaction score
Will do

I'll do that. I do remeber on my other computer Vista Ultimate x64, that if Hibernate was disabled my APC BackUPS BE 750G-LM would pester me about Hibernation at startup. I use the same UPS on this pc.
I think TM might be on to something.

Try disabling hibernation. In an elevated command prompt, type the follwoing then press enter:

powercfg -h off

Reaction score
Been there done that

Yeah, that's how I configured the Power Options through Advanced Power Options.
Unless you turned it off in advanced options it may still be set to hibernate w/o sleep. If you go to Power Settings, Sleep may be set to never but please click the Change Advanced Power Settings. In that window under sleep is that also never? hybrid off? hibernate never? Wake timers enable. Also Hard disk - Turn off hard disk never?

Ask a Question