Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0 Beta

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
There's a new MSE coming out soon - and you can grab the beta already if you want to give it a try. The improvements look well worth it:

Following version 1.0 of the free Security Essentials released in September, the folks in Redmond outfitted the 2.0 beta with an updated antimalware engine. The new engine is smarter at detecting and removing security threats and offers a better performance, according to a Microsoft blog. The software also now integrates directly with Windows Firewall and gives users the option to turn the firewall on or off.

By integrating with Internet Explorer, the Security Essentials beta provides greater protection against Web-based threats, Microsoft said. It can also watch for attacks that come via a network, though this option is only available in Windows Vista and Windows 7. Users of Windows XP can't take advantage of this particular feature because XP lacks the necessary Windows Filtering Platform.

You can find and download the new beta at Microsoft's Connect page where you'll need to log in with a Windows Live account. You'll then be directed to the download page where you choose whether to grab the 32-bit or 64-bit version.
You can read more and see a screenshot at CNET:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-20011194-75.html

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks for the post, Ian. I installed it on both of my main installs of 7, it was a breeze obtaining the download, all you have to do is register (using a Windows Live ID), and the link is given.

Your original settings are retained, the main difference is that you don't have a desktop shortcut, you go to "Show Hidden Icons", and select to show icon & notifications. The screen is a little more stylish, too.

Other than that, I see no difference in the program. Hopefully, it will be better than it already is, probably the best free AV & malware protection on the market. I encourage others to try it out too, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
My install, for some reason, did set up a desktop shortcut. As in earlier versions, in the notification area it only shows "notifications" I select the full show icon view, as I am more comfortable knowing it is running.

The new features in the beta of Microsoft Security Essentials include:

Windows Firewall integration – During setup, Microsoft Security Essentials will now ask if you would like to turn the Windows Firewall on or off.

Improved protection for web-based threats – Microsoft Security Essentials now integrates with Internet Explorer to provide protection against web-based threats.

New protection engine – The updated anti-malware engine offers improved detection and cleanup capabilities with better performance.

Network inspection system – Protection against network-based exploits is now built in to Microsoft Security Essentials.
I also suspect an even smaller footprint, but cannot put it against the previous release right now? In the history tab, there is an option to see what, if anything, MSE has been isolating on your computer.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
So far, so good. No slowdowns to report, or anything. MSE did it's usual scheduled scan, all is clean. Although the program does ask about turning the firewall off, I would never run without one on the open internet. I like the new MSE.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Bad news. MSE 2.0 Beta is not ready yet for your main install. After reinstalling my OEM OS and updating everything, including my Anytime Upgrade to Pro, my system was running smooth with the regular version of MSE installed. I ran it all afternoon yesterday with no problems.

Then last night, I reinstalled MSE 2.0 Beta, I noticed after install that my screen was flickering a little at first, then it smoothed out. Then this morning, I went on here, tried to update MSE (as I do every day), and it wouldn't complete, even tried it with Windows Update, it still wouldn't update. Meanwhile, the computer was still acting weird, when I clicked onto a program, there was a hesitation, then a short black screen, then the program finally came up. It was getting close to dinner, so I didn't mess with it any further.

Then, just a while ago, when I first started up, the first crash of this desktop since I bought it happened. It happened when I was trying to open MSE 2.0 for a short scan. I uninstalled it, reinstalled the standard version of MSE, and all is fine. No hesitation, no problems whatsoever.

I still have it installed on my evaluation version of 7 (Ultimate), but haven't been to that side of the computer tonight. I'm making sure that my regular install is OK before going there. Tomorrow, I'll check out how it's going over there.

Just a warning to everyone, if you install the MSE Beta, and your computer starts acting up, get it off of there ASAP.

Cat

Ask a Question