Media Player 12 playback problems

Reaction score
I have an ATI Radeon HD5670 Graphics Card and in order to take advantage of the higher screen resolutions have recently upgraded to a new monitor the Samsung SyncMaster P2450, which supports VGA, DVI and HDMI.
After installation of the monitor using the DVI connection I now find that I cannot play back video clips or DVD's. When tring to open a video clip the media player window opens then I get the following error message 'Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file'. If I try to view a clip from a web page MP12 opens and the file appears to download but the same error message then appears.
I have tried restoring my pc to an earlier time (pre new monitor) as I had no issues before. I cannot find a way to reinstall MP12 and not sure if the additional download of a Codec pack will help.
Have any members experienced similar issues? Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem?
Alan

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Alan and welcome to the forums :).

Does WMP12 give you any error codes or allow you to view any further information about the problem? If not, can you check to see if anything appears about this in event viewer please.

Have you installed any codec packs at any point?

You could try using an alternative media player such as VLC player, which is open source, fast and plays almost anything:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Reaction score
MP12 Playback

Hi Ian,
Yes I did get an error msg - Windows Media Player C00D11B1. I checked sound card and speaker settings and all good.
I also installed a codec pack, ffshow I think?? but this had no effect on playback. I am not able to lower the screen resolution to see whether this is part of the problem, the DVI connection runs at 1920x1080 and does not offer any other res options but I have to admit that at this setting the screen is truly incredible; perhaps using a VGA connection would allow me to lower the screen res as this was previously at 1440x 900? All worked fine with my previous monitor.
Perhaps the solution would be to install another media player but this does not resolve the original problem and I'm like a dog with a bone, wont let go!
Any further thoughts before I download another media player?
Thanks again.
Alan

Reaction score
I doubt your problem is related to your DVI connection but rather a codec issue with Media Player.

Download Windows 7 codecs from:

Code:
http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
As roban stated, the problem is not with your monitor.

Have your tried using Windows Media Center? It's on your Windows 7 OS.

I never had any problems playing DVDs or video files with it.

Also, you might try downloading the Shark007's FREE Codec solutions.

These windows media center codecs are the only codecs you will ever need.

You can choose any media player you want; everything will play.

The following filetypes are enabled and SUPPORTED by the installation of Shark's Codec Solutions.
amr | mpc | ofr | divx | mka | ape | flac | evo | flv | m4b | mkv | ogg | ogv | ogm | rmvb | xvid
All of the above filetypes can be queued to the Windows Media Player Playlist using a right-click.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
As roban stated, the problem is not with your monitor.

Have your tried using Windows Media Center? It's on your Windows 7 OS.

I never had any problems playing DVDs or video files with it.

Also, you might try downloading the Shark007's FREE Codec solutions.

These windows media center codecs are the only codecs you will ever need.

You can choose any media player you want; everything will play.

The following filetypes are enabled and SUPPORTED by the installation of Shark's Codec Solutions.
amr | mpc | ofr | divx | mka | ape | flac | evo | flv | m4b | mkv | ogg | ogv | ogm | rmvb | xvid
All of the above filetypes can be queued to the Windows k Media Player Playlist using a right-click.
Yes. Shark007 are probably one of the best free codec packs out there. I've been using it for a long time and it's perfect.

Hum... I used to have a problem like this on my XP machine; it couldn't read DVDs.
I was pretty jong, so my parents called a tech, and he told us to download the trial of PowerDVD.
I haven't had the problem since, even after the end of the trial.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
Get VLC. Its pretty much the best free media player out there. Never crashed since I first installed it :)
Link - download vlc player
Edit: It has most of the codecs preinstalled so you don't have to worry about that. Also, it supports most of video/audio extensions and HD plays much better on VLC than WMP.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Another vote for VLC. It's been the most able of all the players I've tried.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes... Though, why are you answering at a 2 month old thread?

Ask a Question