SOLVED Music wont load to Win Media Player

Reaction score
I have music I have loaded from my CD's into My Music file but I cant get them to play when I select a song. They should also play all when I select one, correct. Seems like they used to play. The 3 that are loaded with Win 7 installation will play OK? I only have 2 albums loaded now I just used copy 7 paste to put them into the MY Music folder.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You didn't just copy the files from an standard Audio CD did you?

You need to RIP an Audio CD, converting the audio files to file formats the computer would recognize, for example MP3 or WAV. You RIP Audio CDs with computer software. An example of that software can be found in our Freeware DB and is called CDex.

Reaction score
Yes I did, but I'm sure I did this before and it worked OK. Could I use Nero to accomplish this, if not how about ImgBurn to do it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
imgburn (& I believe nero) would be more for writing them out to a CD then for converting them.

But I may have been wrong anyway, from what I researched, converting them is more about saving space.

So start by simply making sure the CDA file extension is associated with Windows Media Player...

FROM Techwalla:
Step 1

Click the "Start" button on the Windows 7 taskbar, then click the "Control Panel" tab.

Step 2
Find and click the "Default Programs" link in Control Panel. When the new window opens, click on the "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" option.

Step 3
Wait for Windows to display a list of all known file types on your computer.

Step 4
Scroll down on the list until you find the ".cda" file extension. Highlight the file type by clicking it once.

Step 5
Click on the "Change program..." link in the top left corner of the screen. Wait for Windows to generate a list of programs compatible with the CDA file extension and open a new window.

Step 6
Highlight Windows Media Player in the program list window and click the "OK" button.

Step 7
Click the "Close" button after the list refreshes. Windows Media Player will now be the default player whenever you insert an audio CD into your computer's CD/DVD drive, or when you click on a CDA file in Windows Explorer.

SOURCE: Techwalla

...that may be all you need to do to make it work.

Reaction score
imgburn (& I believe nero) would be more for writing them out to a CD then for converting them.

But I may have been wrong anyway, from what I researched, converting them is more about saving space.

So start by simply making sure the CDA file extension is associated with Windows Media Player...

FROM Techwalla:
Step 1

Click the "Start" button on the Windows 7 taskbar, then click the "Control Panel" tab.

Step 2
Find and click the "Default Programs" link in Control Panel. When the new window opens, click on the "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" option.

Step 3
Wait for Windows to display a list of all known file types on your computer.

Step 4
Scroll down on the list until you find the ".cda" file extension. Highlight the file type by clicking it once.

Step 5
Click on the "Change program..." link in the top left corner of the screen. Wait for Windows to generate a list of programs compatible with the CDA file extension and open a new window.

Step 6
Highlight Windows Media Player in the program list window and click the "OK" button.

Step 7
Click the "Close" button after the list refreshes. Windows Media Player will now be the default player whenever you insert an audio CD into your computer's CD/DVD drive, or when you click on a CDA file in Windows Explorer.

SOURCE: Techwalla

...that may be all you need to do to make it work.
Actually I had thought of that last night but hadn't done anything yet so youre reply reminded me but the associations are correct. I did reselect it but nothing.I cant think of anything else unless I need to put it into the Library but haven't been able to do get it to go there if that makes any difference. Going to load Real Player to see if that will do it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In Windows Explorer what happens if you RIGHT-click on one of the files and choose
Open With > Windows Media Player ?

Reaction score
I downloaded Real Player and it works OK. I did get one song to change the insignia somehow and it plays OK, now if I can remember or figure out how I did that as the other 15 will not play with Windows Media player yet.

Ask a Question