SOLVED How Do I Remove Media Player Classic (MPC-HC 1.7.8) Completely?

Reaction score
How do I remove Media Player Classic (MPC-HC 1.7.8) leftover files after I uninstalled it? I Googled it and could not find anything and it will not show up on REVO uninstaller. I do not trust it and it is not very good compared to Windows Media Player.

After I uninstalled it from the Control Panel's Program and Features window, I discovered the MPC-HC icon included in the dialog box asking what player I should use when I placed a DVD in the drive. How do I remove all the leftover files? I am using Windows 7 Home Premium edition on Dell's Inspiron 580. I would appreciate any help...

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It sounds like you did remove it but now all the file associations it had need to be replaced with another program. File associations tell the computer what program to run when you click on a file name with a certain file extension, for example when you click on a .avi file it may try to run MPC but now MPC is gone so you need to change that association to another program such as VLC.

VLC is an excellent video player and one I highly recommend. You can find it in our Freeware DB.

Reaction score
Someone from another forum suggested going into regedit.exe, the registry editor, and deleting it. He gave directions where to find it:

“HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Gabest\Media Player Classic, delete the key.”

It was not there so in the registry editor’s menu bar in edit, I clicked find and put in Media Player Classic and found all the entries. I do not like to fool with registry keys hearing from others how they crashed their systems so I created a restore point and exported the whole registry to another hard drive as I learned from a you tube tutorial. Then I deleted the individual keys that came up in the find search. I rebooted and it worked. The icon is gone and so are the other remnant keys. I rebooted several times and so far, my system did not crash. Anyway, I have a restore point and a copy of the damn registry, so thanks anyway and thanks for your response…

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Most of those keys were probably remnants of the file associations I explained, if so deleting them won't really hurt anything.

Ask a Question