Win 7 Media Player Lost?

Reaction score
Hi all.

Wanted to play a DVD, but I appear to have lost lost my version of Windows 7 Media Player 12 and I have tried downloading from the MS website, but it's so totally confusing. Whatever I did, I was sent to somewhere else on the site and never found a download button.
I have searched though my programs and it is nowhere to be seen. I have found the WMP Library. I used WMP a couple of days ago, but since then, I have uninstalled the program, FLA. Could that affect WMP? If so, what can I do to restore the program? I have tried downloading a version 12 from MS, but spent far too long trying to navigate their site - I kept ending up where I started. I tried downloading from a few sites, but I got the same message every time I tried to install -
"There is a more recent version of Windows Media Player (12.0.7601.18150) already installed on your computer. It is not possible to use an older installation package (11.0.5721.5156) to install files or to repair your current version of the player."

I have tried repairing it from MS Fix-it. That told me it had been fixed, but the program still isn't fixed.

Can anyone help me, please?

Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Try going to Control Panel > Programs and Features. Select Turn Windows Features On or Off. Under Media Features make sure Windows Media Player is checked.

Reaction score
Many thanks for your reply. Since I posted, I did another search on my PC and still couldn't find it.

I then went into the Media Library, opened up one of the files and that opened up in Windows Media! That told me that the program was on my PC somewhere. I scratched my head and eventually found it in the Program Files! I opened WMP, clicked on Open, navigated to the DVD, but it was not recognised. Tried opening and I just got the files. Clicked on the first one and the DVD opened up. Right, back to the DVD and tried to open it, but still did not run, so, back to the folder > right clicked > selected play and it worked!

Tried out your suggestions and everything was OK.

Maybe you can tell me why WMP is not recognising the name of the DVD, when everything else does?

MTIA.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is it a store-bought DVD or one you burned? What are the actual file extensions of the files on the DVD? You may need to change Windows Explorer to show the file extensions to answer this ...
WindowsExplorer-ShowExt.jpg
If this is a true DVD file format then you should see .BUP, .IFO, and .VOB files. If you clicked on a .BUP file that would explain why it did not play, clicking on the .IFO file should make it play.

But it's also a possibility that your File Associations are no longer set properly for WMP. Go to Control Panel > Default Programs and click on Set Default Programs. Select Windows Media Player from the list and click Set this program as default.

Reaction score
Is it a store-bought DVD or one you burned? What are the actual file extensions of the files on the DVD? You may need to change Windows Explorer to show the file extensions to answer this ...
View attachment 6173
If this is a true DVD file format then you should see .BUP, .IFO, and .VOB files. If you clicked on a .BUP file that would explain why it did not play, clicking on the .IFO file should make it play.

But it's also a possibility that your File Associations are no longer set properly for WMP. Go to Control Panel > Default Programs and click on Set Default Programs. Select Windows Media Player from the list and click Set this program as default.

Reaction score
Hi.

All the DVDs, 4 of them, are commercially produced and contain .BUP, .IFO and VOB files. However, when trying to set WMP to default, WMP is not one of the options. I am now going to find out how to place WMP as a selection.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If disabling & re-enabling WMP in programs & features does not help then your registry has likely been corrupted in regards to WMP. If it is only recently it stopped working you could try an old restore point. If that doesn't work, you could try creating a new ID and see if WMP works there; if it does you can move all your data to the new userid and start using that. But if that doesn't work either, then your best bet is a complete reinstall.

Personally I only use WMP for music playlists. I prefer the freeware VLC to play videos.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I will be trying restoring to an earlier date, as this problem has just started. I did try VLC, but I found it far too slow to load and open. I have just arrived back from a trip from a check up at hospital, I'll let you know what happens.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Some computers include a recovery partition, just so I'm clear, that is not what I am referring to. I am recommending Control Panel > Recovery, System Restore (Button). Check the box to "See more Restore Points" and pick one prior to the problem.
SystemRestore-ShowMore.jpg

Ask a Question