Line-IN does not work?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I am trying to have two microphones.

One for music from my iPhone, and one from my USB to talk.

Anyway I tried connecting my Line-IN and well it does not work, recording devices tells me that its not plugged in.

I updated my drivers, and the cable works I tried it on my xBox 360.

here is a pic:

Forgot to include;

My motherboard is p877z-v, and I am using onboard sound ports.

Thanks for your time, and help!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Line In & Microphone In are different; I think it has to do with one being amplified and the other not, if I remember correctly. If you want to supply music from your IPOD then plug it into Line In, not into microphone.

It also appears your Realtek HD is disabled, possibly done automatically when you attach the USB Audio device. Make sure your Realtek HD card is enabled; if necessary remove the USB Audio device. Then plug your microphone into your front or rear mic in jack and your IPOD into your front or rear Line In jack.

Reaction score
Line In & Microphone In are different; I think it has to do with one being amplified and the other not, if I remember correctly. If you want to supply music from your IPOD then plug it into Line In, not into microphone.

It also appears your Realtek HD is disabled, possibly done automatically when you attach the USB Audio device. Make sure your Realtek HD card is enabled; if necessary remove the USB Audio device. Then plug your microphone into your front or rear mic in jack and your IPOD into your front or rear Line In jack.
Yup I know that.

My USB mic a Razer Headset so if I disable that it will probably stop working.

How exactly would I enable my Realtek drivers though? ( its an onboard sound board/its on the motherboard the audio ports )

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What happens when you go to Control Panel > Device Manager and try to enable your soundcard?

I don't know anything about the Razer Headset. Have you read the instructions that came with it? Do they mention disabling onboard audio?

Reaction score
What happens when you go to Control Panel > Device Manager and try to enable your soundcard?

I don't know anything about the Razer Headset. Have you read the instructions that came with it? Do they mention disabling onboard audio?
Muted my headset, nothing else. HD audio is enabled @BIOS.

Nothing in the manual that came with it.

edit:

new development;

I did "search for new drivers" or something like that at device manager.

Now the software is being stupid the lines are detected but it keeps making mistakes.
Sometime it gets the port right sometimes it gets it wrong.

Like I plugged it into the mic section it thinks that its a headset/the green one.

Basically its messed up. Hard to explain too.

Hopefully that made a little sense.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What muted your headset, do you mean if you enable the soundcard? As I suggested it may be an either/or decision; meaning you either use the USB headset or the soundcard. I suggest you check if that is a limitation of your usb razor headset. If it is then your choice would be to get a regular headset with a standard mic-in plug & headphone out plug rather than a USB connection or you do without your soundcard Line in and therefore your IPOD connection.

Reaction score
What muted your headset, do you mean if you enable the soundcard? As I suggested it may be an either/or decision; meaning you either use the USB headset or the soundcard. I suggest you check if that is a limitation of your usb razor headset. If it is then your choice would be to get a regular headset with a standard mic-in plug & headphone out plug rather than a USB connection or you do without your soundcard Line in and therefore your IPOD connection.
Sorry, It muted my headset when I disabled the USB driver.

Ill contact Razer support I guess we will see what they have to say.

Thanks for your help, ill reply with more details.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
That's a good idea because razor support would know about their drivers and whether it automatically disables the on-board sound if their usb is enabled.

However, razor support probably won't have any knowledge of why your connections on your on-board sound card are acting odd.

Reaction score
That's a good idea because razor support would know about their drivers and whether it automatically disables the on-board sound if their usb is enabled.

However, razor support probably won't have any knowledge of why your connections on your on-board sound card are acting odd.
Ill contact Asus also since they supply the motherboard, and probably realtek since they supply the hardware? or softwarE? Not sure.

Ask a Question