SOLVED Windows Defender Offline on a USB

Reaction score
I have downloaded and installed Windows Defender Offline on a USB and now I'm stuck. As I understand it, the only way to boot from it is to access BIOS and change the boot option to the USB flash drive. All I see is three options and I chose the "removable dev" one. Problem is when I finish it will not boot from the USB.
I'm trying to do this as there is some sort of virus in the Windows files. any help will be appreciated.

Reaction score
RE : Bios - boot order

Re-examine this step particularly the bold prints................

Locate the CD, DVD, or USB flash drive (this might be called Removable Device) in the Boot list. Following the directions on the screen, use the arrow keys to move the drive up so that it appears first in the Boot list.

Did you move the Removable Device to the top of the list ?

Reaction score
Thank you for your assistance. Yes I did move the Removable Device to the top and it still wouldn't boot from it. Last night after sending the above post I burnt the Windows Defender Offline on a CD and this was successful, so managed to a scan with WDO.

Reaction score
Nice to know you have it sorted.
Wonder why an USB stick won't work.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Just heads up for next time. In my BIOS, I have to go one step further, to the hard drive section (just below boot order section) and select the USB stick as the first drive. Don't know why but that does it for me.

Ask a Question