SOLVED LED Monitor settings question

Reaction score
What are good settings for a ViewSonic VX2250wm-LED monitor in Windows 7? I'd sure appreciate some help on this one as my eye's aren't exactly perfect due to 31 years of Diabetes and numerous laser surgeries on both eye's. My vision is 20/400 in left eye and my right eye I only see out of the far right side of, nothing in front of it except blackness. With my eyeglasses on I can see ok, but it isn't perfect.

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
It sounds like it may be a trial and error thing.

I recently got my first wide screen monitor and just let it auto configure. It looks great to me.

That sounds like a really nice monitor and I'm sure you'll get it set to your liking. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful technically.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
brkkab123 - I own a ViewSonic VX2250wm-LED monitor and it ROCKS! I think I was the first member here to buy one back in June 2010. I have mine hooked up to a Radeon HD5770 video card which has Dual Link DVI output, so I used a Dual Link DVI cable and the depth of color and rendering is fantastic. If your video card doesn't have Dual Link DVI output but standard DVI it will still have an excellent picture though.

It's best to let it set itself to it's native resolution of 1920 x 1080p. The Windows 7 driver from their website will automatically do that.

If you prefer a different resolution, you can do that but you'll have to turn off the "Resolution Incorrect" warning window that pops up on the display. You CAN turn that off in the "Settings" menu of the monitor itself.

However choosing a different resolution other than native may cause some rendering issues of photos and videos.

Enjoy! You have a very fine monitor there and I hope you get as much enjoyment from it as I have from mine.

Reaction score
I've got the same video card

I've got a XFX Radeon HD5770 too. At first I had the vga cable on monitor to vga-dvi adaptor on video card. I then unhooked the vga cable and hooked the dvi cable that came with the monitor. Since doing that, the Auto Adjust setting is blacked out, even though I downloaded ViewSonic's driver and it set itself to 1920 x 1080. I did notice the graphics look better than my HD4650 or HD4670 did. I'm debating on whether to get a second HD5770 or replace this one with a HD6850 or HD6870. That's about 5-6 months aqay though. I still have to get a external hd, x-box 360, powerline kit, hdtv, a 890FX motherboard and some DDR3 ram to replace this AM2+/DDR 2 motherboard.
brkkab123 - I own a ViewSonic VX2250wm-LED monitor and it ROCKS! I think I was the first member here to buy one back in June 2010. I have mine hooked up to a Radeon HD5770 video card which has Dual Link DVI output, so I used a Dual Link DVI cable and the depth of color and rendering is fantastic. If your video card doesn't have Dual Link DVI output but standard DVI it will still have an excellent picture though.

It's best to let it set itself to it's native resolution of 1920 x 1080p. The Windows 7 driver from their website will automatically do that.

If you prefer a different resolution, you can do that but you'll have to turn off the "Resolution Incorrect" warning window that pops up on the display. You CAN turn that off in the "Settings" menu of the monitor itself.

However choosing a different resolution other than native may cause some rendering issues of photos and videos.

Enjoy! You have a very fine monitor there and I hope you get as much enjoyment from it as I have from mine.

Reaction score
I've got a XFX Radeon HD5770 too. At first I had the vga cable on monitor to vga-dvi adaptor on video card. I then unhooked the vga cable and hooked the dvi cable that came with the monitor. Since doing that, the Auto Adjust setting is blacked out, even though I downloaded ViewSonic's driver and it set itself to 1920 x 1080. I did notice the graphics look better than my HD4650 or HD4670 did. I'm debating on whether to get a second HD5770 or replace this one with a HD6850 or HD6870. That's about 5-6 months aqay though. I still have to get a external hd, x-box 360, powerline kit, hdtv, a 890FX motherboard and some DDR3 ram to replace this AM2+/DDR 2 motherboard.
Hey if you do upgrade your GPU, I'm interested in your 5770 it you want to get rid of it or sell it fairly cheap.

Reaction score
That's for sure.

That's for sure. The weird part is, since I hooked the DVi cable to my monitor and video card after unhooking the avg cable to dvi adaptor on my video card. I lost the auto set function on the monitor. It's still listed, but blacked out. P.S. Yes pc and monitor were both off during cable changes.
It sounds like it may be a trial and error thing.

I recently got my first wide screen monitor and just let it auto configure. It looks great to me.

That sounds like a really nice monitor and I'm sure you'll get it set to your liking. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful technically.

Reaction score
I'll think about it

I'll think about it. When I get the things listed. I may use the old parts for my mom's first pc. I've got a Tempest Case, 450W psu, Phenom 2 950 cpu, the HD4650 video card and 2 Sony DVD-RW's collecting dust in there boxes. They were all supposed to be in this computer originally, but this build took almost 18 months to build. I thought I kept getting bad mobo's as this is the 8th one. Everybody told me I had to remove the white plast where the cpu goes. I did 7 times and 7 motherboards didn't work, because the white plastic piece holds the cpu. When I started getting parts they were somewhat modern, now they're kinda ancient. If I had aSSD instead of my WD Caviar Black, I'd have at least a 7.4 WEI. The hd is the only thing under 7.4. Everything else is 7.4 and 7.5.
Hey if you do upgrade your GPU, I'm interested in your 5770 it you want to get rid of it or sell it fairly cheap.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
The DVI cable connection automatically sets the monitor's resolution.

DON'T get too anal over the WEI scores. They're just a "guide", it's not like you'll be ostracized by anyone over the WEI score of your computer.

The DVI cable supplied by ViewSonic is a Single Link Cable not a Dual Link cable.

WHAT ARE SINGLE AND DUAL LINKS ?
The Digital formats are available in DVI-D Single-Link and Dual-Link as well as DVI-I Single-Link and Dual-Link format connectors. These DVI cables send information using a digital information format called TMDS (transition minimized differential signaling). Single link cables use one TMDS 165Mhz transmitter, while dual links use two. The dual link DVI pins effectively double the power of transmission and provide an increase of speed and signal quality; i.e. a DVI single link 60-Hz LCD can display a resolution of 1920 x 1200, while a DVI dual link can display a resolution of 2560 x 1600.​
While the VX2250wm goes to 1920 x 1080p, the signal quality IS improved by using a DVI-D Dual Link connection cable.

DVI-D Single Link [digital only] Three rows of 6 pins and no contacts above or below the flat blade. [This comes with the monitor.]

DVI-D Dual Link [digital only] Three rows of 8 pins and no contacts above or below the flat blade. [I got mine on eBay with HD cable and ferrite bead chokes for $8.95 with free shipping in the USA.]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everybody told me I had to remove the white plast where the cpu goes. I did 7 times and 7 motherboards didn't work, because the white plastic piece holds the cpu.
ONE thing I have learned in building computers is that it REALLY helps to read the motherboard manual. Don't listen to others at first, unless you're really having issues. I have built over 50 systems and though I am quite experienced, if I come across a motherboard I haven't built with before or used I always read the manual. So you're telling us that you returned 7 motherboards? OMG! :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nah, pc is fast compared to my past pc's.

No, I'm just saying the hd is the weak link. I'll get a SSD when they're more affordable and have atleast 250 gbs. for around $150.00. Until then it isn't worth it to me, considering my 2 WD Caviar Black 1.0 tb's were under $200.00 together. I have a question about the monitor though, while I'm thinking about it. I'm already using the DVI cable that came with it and my XFX Radeon HD5770 has 2 DVI and a HDMI port. Could I use a HDMI-DVI connector for a little better picture ?
The DVI cable connection automatically sets the monitor's resolution.

DON'T get too anal over the WEI scores. They're just a "guide", it's not like you'll be ostracized by anyone over the WEI score of your computer.

The DVI cable supplied by ViewSonic is a Single Link Cable not a Dual Link cable.

While the VX2250wm goes to 1920 x 1080p, the signal quality IS improved by using a DVI-D Dual Link connection cable.

DVI-D Single Link [digital only] Three rows of 6 pins and no contacts above or below the flat blade. [This comes with the monitor.]

DVI-D Dual Link [digital only] Three rows of 8 pins and no contacts above or below the flat blade. [I got mine on eBay with HD cable and ferrite bead chokes for $8.95 with free shipping in the USA.]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ONE thing I have learned in building computers is that it REALLY helps to read the motherboard manual. Don't listen to others at first, unless you're really having issues. I have built over 50 systems and though I am quite experienced, if I come across a motherboard I haven't built with before or used I always read the manual. So you're telling us that you returned 7 motherboards? OMG! :eek:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
:Your hard drive is NOT a "weak link", that's just your perception of it. IF you crave the need for speed, then yes it is a "weak link". I sincerely doubt if you'll see a 250 GB SSD for $150 anytime soon. Probably about two years, maybe three. However by then you'll be going through another round of upgradeitis and replacing a lot of your hardware.

I plan to get an SSD myself, but not because the hard drive is a weak link, it's because I WANT ONE! LOL!

If you'll notice the DVI cable that came with the monitor is a Single Link connector not a Dual Link connector. That's why I posted photos of both so you would see what I meant. You would notice an improvement of picture probably only if you use an HDMI to DVI-D Dual Link connection though. IF it were me, save the HDMI for the big screen TV and get a DVI-D Dual Link connector cable.

You still didn't answer my one question from the other post... how many motherboards did you return??
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOTE: PLEASE, you don't have to quote me every time you answer one of my replies. I know what your reply is pertaining to.

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I agree to use the native resolution of the monitor, and a digital (DVI or HDMI) connection. If you find that text is too small, pressing Ctrl + and Ctrl - will zoom in and out with many applications.

Reaction score
What are good settings for a ViewSonic VX2250wm-LED monitor in Windows 7? I'd sure appreciate some help on this one as my eye's aren't exactly perfect due to 31 years of Diabetes and numerous laser surgeries on both eye's. My vision is 20/400 in left eye and my right eye I only see out of the far right side of, nothing in front of it except blackness. With my eyeglasses on I can see ok, but it isn't perfect.

I would recommend you use smaller resolutions to make it easier on your eyes, such as 648p & 720p. But no matter what the resolution, use zoom in browsers and if necessary use windows 7 special features:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Make-the-text-on-your-screen-larger-or-smaller

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/accessibility

If your monitor comes with the driver then be sure to install it. Adjust brightness and contrast so your eyes don't get tired. To adjust brightness and contrast, you can use the monitor controls and the video card setting such as desktop colors.

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to agree with the others on using the native monitor resolutions.

If you find that you need a larger font, change Windows Display option. (small, medium, large)
Control Panel >> All Control Panel Items >> Display

And then as the others suggest, there is always the zoom options as you are working.

One other thing, if the room is not very bright you may need to adjust the brightness. I recently purchased a LG monitors that has what is called gamma. The monitor seemed to bright so I bumped the gamma down one notch.

Reaction score
I agree with you on the hd. Would I see any benefit with the HDMI-DVD converotor cable along with the dual link DVI cable ?
:Your hard drive is NOT a "weak link", that's just your perception of it. IF you crave the need for speed, then yes it is a "weak link". I sincerely doubt if you'll see a 250 GB SSD for $150 anytime soon. Probably about two years, maybe three. However by then you'll be going through another round of upgradeitis and replacing a lot of your hardware.

I plan to get an SSD myself, but not because the hard drive is a weak link, it's because I WANT ONE! LOL!

If you'll notice the DVI cable that came with the monitor is a Single Link connector not a Dual Link connector. That's why I posted photos of both so you would see what I meant. You would notice an improvement of picture probably only if you use an HDMI to DVI-D Dual Link connection though. IF it were me, save the HDMI for the big screen TV and get a DVI-D Dual Link connector cable.

You still didn't answer my one question from the other post... how many motherboards did you return??
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOTE: PLEASE, you don't have to quote me every time you answer one of my replies. I know what your reply is pertaining to.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I give up... :dontknow:

Ask a Question