Launch repair not working

Reaction score
Okay, so, long story short, my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1545) fell about 2 foot off my bed whilst running, landing on its side and instantly shut down. I booted it up again, and did the whole start in safe mode/start normally thing, so I started normally - unsuccessfully. It loaded as far as the 'Starting Windows' screen, and stayed stuck on that screen. I hard-powered off and reloaded, selecting the launch repair option.
First time, this went to the old-style XP load screen with the green scrolly-bar thing, and stayed there for like 15 minutes, so again I powered off.
Second time, it was on that screen for about 10 seconds, then went to a safe mode-style Windows 7 Home screen, then started a run of launch repair. It started scanning, and said this would take more than an hour, so I left it to run overnight. I woke up this morning to find it frozen on a black screen, which I left for a few more minutes before shutting down.

Now every time I try to run launch repair, it loads as far as the blue safe-mode screen that the launch repair opened on, with a mouse cursor but no launch repair. Nothing happens. The same happens when I try to start normally - it freezes on the starting windows screen.

Help please! I'd rather not have to buy a new computer and lose all of my files. Is there anything I can do, or is it purely a hardware problem from the fall?

Reaction score
Hi Igsey,

I had a similar problem with my laptop (although I didn't drop mine!)

To get up and running again, re-install Windows, on the laptop & don't format the machine. This will install Win 7 alongside the previous installation.

Once you are up and running again, your old installation will be found in the C: drive, under the folder named Windows Old. You can then copy any files that you need from the old installation & once you are complete, you can delete the old installation to free up any space that you need.

Let me know how it works out.

Cheers,

Chayne. :)

Ask a Question