Quick Launch disappears

Reaction score
Running Win7 on 3 pcs. Use quick launch on all. My main desktop Quick launch disappears 2 times a week. It's a pain in the butt to put it back and rearrange the icons . Checked through previous threads with no clear cut solution. TIA

Reaction score
Run sfc /scannow, to attempt to repair. You may need to run it a few times if it finds things to repair.

To do this: type CMD into the search bar. R-Click on Command Prompt. Select Run as Administrator. Click OK for permission to run.

At the Command Prompt type, sfc /scannow hit enter. Takes about 15 minutes to complete. Sometimes longer.

If it finds something it can't fix, let me know.

Reaction score
Run sfc /scannow, to attempt to repair. You may need to run it a few times if it finds things to repair.

To do this: type CMD into the search bar. R-Click on Command Prompt. Select Run as Administrator. Click OK for permission to run.

At the Command Prompt type, sfc /scannow hit enter. Takes about 15 minutes to complete. Sometimes longer.

If it finds something it can't fix, let me know.
Ran It twice with nothing.

Reaction score
You might see if these steps may help.

Quick Launch - Enable or Disable

9. Now that you have Quick Launch on the taskbar, you will need to save your current theme (step 4 at this link).
NOTE: If you make any changes to your theme, you will need to save the theme afterwards, or you will lose Quick Launch the next time you restart the computer.

10. If you have a 32-bit Windows 7, then it has been reported that you may need to turn off UAC if Quick Launch is disappearing on you after every restart.

Hope this helps,
John

Reaction score
You might see if these steps may help.

Quick Launch - Enable or Disable

9. Now that you have Quick Launch on the taskbar, you will need to save your current theme (step 4 at this link).
NOTE: If you make any changes to your theme, you will need to save the theme afterwards, or you will lose Quick Launch the next time you restart the computer.

10. If you have a 32-bit Windows 7, then it has been reported that you may need to turn off UAC if Quick Launch is disappearing on you after every restart.

Hope this helps,
John
John,
Tried it without success.

Reaction score
It appears there are corrupted or missing files.

Try a Repair Install

Run Repair at least three times; It may take a few reboots to make necessary repairs.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If I had to guess, your personal registry settings are corrupt and so it seems the changes you make are not being "saved". Every time you log on (including a reboot) your personal registry settings are copied over the current and you end up reverting to a previous setting that doesn't have the quick launch bar enabled. There are many registry "cleaners" out there. Some of them can easily muck up your registry.

I suggest you try the System Restore. Type System Restore in the start-search box and run "System Restore", then check the box to "show more restore points". See if you can go back far enough to a version where the registry is not corrupt and you Quick Launch is there.

If you cannot go back far enough then you likely have three choices:
1. You create a brand new account and enable quick launch there, then reboot a few times to verify it "sticks". If it does then you move all your data over and start using the new account. After a week or so when you are sure you didn't forget anything (example contacts) then you can delete the old account.
2. If you have a system backup or image you could restore your entire computer to that point
3. Back up everything and Reinstall windows

Reaction score
Spent yesterday creating a new user. Boot this am and quick launch was gone. I'll try try repair next. Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So you set up a new userid and enabled the quick launch bar and the next time you logged in to that ID the quick launch bar was gone from that ID too?

Just so I am sure we are talking about the same thing, the quick Launch bar you created was done by Right-clicking on the toolbar and selecting toolbars > New toolbar and then in the location you typed %appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch ? I want to be sure it isn't a Rocketdock or some other program generated launch bar.

Reaction score
So you set up a new userid and enabled the quick launch bar and the next time you logged in to that ID the quick launch bar was gone from that ID too?

Just so I am sure we are talking about the same thing, the quick Launch bar you created was done by Right-clicking on the toolbar and selecting toolbars > New toolbar and then in the location you typed %appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch ? I want to be sure it isn't a Rocketdock or some other program generated launch bar.

Reaction score
I am going to live with it until I have to reinstall. Thanks for the help guys.

Ask a Question