Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on this one!

It was unusual this morning when I turned on my system that F-Secure did a HUGE AV signature update download. I mean this was about, in my estimation, over 40MB or so! It took over 15 minutes to complete the download.

I haven't seen any problems yet and my weekly scan runs automatically on Sunday mornings.

Reaction score
I'm glad I upgraded SUPERAntiSpyware free to lifetime Professional yesterday. Apparently the hack is exploiting hole's in Adbobe product's and Java to bypass Windows x64's protection system. Wondering if we should temporarily install Threatfire. I stopped using it a while agom as it seriously slowed my browsing down. My dsl is slow enough on it's own.

Reaction score
Thanks Cat. I just downloaded it and am going to run it when I read the rest of my FeedDemon feed's.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have a younger custmer , who may dabble in unreliable sites. None of my buisness! he a week ago he was running Avast and MSE on his computer and had the same attack. His first call was to complain that he was getting ever increasing pop ups from the internet, all over the desktop, and, about every 5 minutes, a little melody was playing.
First course was to do a full scan of his computer. That is when he dicovered that both his antvirus progams had been disabled.
Only course was to restore his image, which I put on by default whenever I do any work for users.
I should point out that he had real time protection running on both the antivirus programs. Both claim to detect rootkits. Problem is that, once acquired, they immediatelt start to do their dirty deeds. Whilst the antivirus may quickly neutralise them, by then the damage has been done.

Reaction score
Thanks Cat. I already have there rescue disk. I was using KIS 2011 until I got my magicJack. KIS wouldn't let it work and everything there support told me to try didn't help. Hey Newegg has a OEM special today on Win 7 SP1 32 bit only. It was I believe either $87.oo or $88.00. Anyone interested here's the prom code EMCYTZT521

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Thank you for the warning, I got my Flash Updates but missed the VLC Update

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Here are some other virus & malware tools from Kaspersky.

http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/utility

I seen these when reading through the site. There appears to be a few that's useful. However, they're not intended to take the place of an installed & maintained AV/IS solution.

Last night, when I reinstalled the OEM install on my desktop, I installed a trial version of Avast Internet Security. Although I have a 3 PC license with ESET, with 5 Windows OS's scattered across 2 HDD's on my desktop, along with the 7 Pro install on my notebook, they've threw the abuse of license flag at me, any more attempts at activating a new install will void the entire license.

It was my understanding that no matter how many OS's that I have on a computer, whether dual/tri/quad booting, or have multiple installs across a couple of HDD's, they're on the same computer. A PC (by their definition) includes all installed OS's on it, except VM's. It never stated in the EULA that each HDD is a separate PC. But I think that's the way it's seen.

BTW, I only have 2 computers. It was installed on the notebook that died on me, that makes 3 PC's.

Anyway, I had to find another solution for future use, so I'm taking Avast IS for a spin. The next time I purchase a AV/IS solution with 3 licenses, I'll call the company (prior to purchase) for what a clear definition of what 3 PC's consists of.

Cat

Reaction score
Symantec's Norton Bootable Recovery only works if you have a product key for Norton Antivirus, Norton 360 or Norton Internet Security.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
There are others as such. NOD32 works that way, too. But when I tried to burn the rescue disc, there was a notification that I needed the Win 7 Automated Install Kit installed. I installed it, and still had troubles burning it, so I scrapped that plan.

I do have a Kaspersky disc if needed, & a few Linux Live CD's. With the live CD, one can run a scan with the built in AV/Malware tools on the CD. I'll have to look again, but I read somewhere on Avast's site that a rescue disc is available. Hopefully, it won't be as complex as NOD32's option to create a rescue disc was.

Cat

Reaction score
Yeah, it's kind of stupid on there part. I'm sure it loses them business.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I may go with Avast IS on this install, there was an offer for $29.99 (1 license). What I'm waiting for is for it to drop to $19.99, in the final days of the trial, they probably will.

Too, this 30 day trial gives me the chance to see if it is for me. Or since I have a lot of installs, after the trial ends, I may install the it's free AV, the last time I had it, it offered 3 licenses of Avast Pro for $29.99 (1 year).

We'll see.

Cat

Reaction score
I may eventually go back to using Norton. Have a few more upgrade purchases I want to get out of the way first. Next month's the other 8.0 gb. ram kit & printer ink. August I'm thinking about getting a Intel 510 120 Gb. SSD. September looks like a Phenom 2 1100T cpu. October is modular 950 -1000 watt psu. Then my current parts are going on my old board in a 2nd NZXT Tempest case I have. That one will basically be a backup pc for if I ever have to do work on this one. Tomorrow I get to put in my HIS IceQ X Turbo x HD 6950 2.0GB video card as it arrives tomorrow. Now I need to try to find a few games for using with that card. May get a second of that card for CrossfireX.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Honesty brkkab, I don't feel that you'll need another 8GB RAM. I realize that you're probably futureproofing, in part due to low RAM prices. You're going to have to do some serious multitasking to push what you have already have to the limit.

Your money would be better spent on those games that you want, or an extra HDD for backup. But that's only my opinion, it's yours, do what you want.

BTW, I don't want Norton, I used the trial that shipped with this PC, it was a severe drag on the system. About as bad as CA Internet Security, a free gift from my ISP, Time Warner. Both left a very bad taste in my mouth.

I'd highly suggest to use the trial version of Norton first, for as many days as allowed. Just as I'm doing with Avast IS now. If I like what I see, performance & promo pricing, I'll bite the bullet & purchase. If not, I'll go from there.

Cat

Reaction score
I know the ram isn't a must, but I'm still going to get it. See I have this program on my pc called PlayOn that streams any internet based videos, tv and podcasts to my Xbox 360. It even gives me Youtube on my hdtv. It had Hulu (both free or Plus) Netflix, ESPN3 and Amazon VOD before Xbox Live had them. With tht OneNote, SUPERAntiSpyware, MSE and magicJack my pc uses 2600+ mbs. of ram constantly. I also, may eventually install VirtualPC/XP Mode as the company that make's my blood glucose meter for my diabete's software hasn't had a 64 bit driver for Vista or 7, yet. That if I'm not mistaken would need another 2 gig's of my ram. I'd rather have too much ram and a non-crashing pc. I'm also thinking off putting a All-In-One water cooler in down the road.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You mean to say that that the software for your health condition monitoring isn't available in 64 bit 7 or Vista? That being the case, then I suggest that you purchase another computer that will run the software. There are some PC's with 32 bit Windows 7 preinstalled that's not that expensive.

Look, I like to mess around with VM's, that's no secret on this forum. But that's all I do, is mess around with them, and have been doing so for a year & a half now. Knowing what I do know about them, I would never, I mean never, rely on a VM to monitor a serious health condition, period. And I would never suggest it to others, either.

It's not the same thing as a actual physical hard drive (the VM). It's merely a folder containing a virtual disc, on your physical HDD. It can be totally deleted from your computer with only 3 clicks. Sometimes, out of thin air, they don't always startup as planned. You can't pop in a XP disc & do a repair install on a VM on the run (when you need it to be there for you). You'll have to rely totally on a backup, which may take some time.

I just cannot, in good conscience, recommend this solution for a critical health care solution. Too much is at stake, and the risk is high for failure and/or critical mistakes. Virtual installs degrade at a much faster pace over a regularly installed OS.

Whatever computer that you were using prior to your build, if you still have it, use that one, if needed.

Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question