SOLVED Latest Malware threat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
We seem to have gotten off topic again. :)

However:
I just cannot, in good conscience, recommend this solution for a critical health care solution. Too much is at stake, and the risk is high for failure and/or critical mistakes. Virtual installs degrade at a much faster pace over a regularly installed OS.
I agree, anything critical needs better integrity than a Virtual Machine.

Reaction score
Actually Cat it's kind of confusing for anybody that's not a diabetic. See Diabetic's use a medical device called a blood glucose monitor to test our blood glucose. Testing it make's sure we don't pass out or go into a coma and thus die. Now a days these meters have a plugin for a usb cable to connect them to a pc. They also have downloadable software and driver's for what ever brand meter you use. I've also, got a wrench thrown into my mix. I also use an insulin pump for my medication to be given to me, as I'm what's called a Brittle Diabetic. I have the software for my meter that uploads the result from my blood glucose meter into the software on my pc. Problem is they don't currently have any driver's for the usb cable that's 64 bit or W7 compatible. All the reading's I take have to be given to Medicare every month, which is a pain in the *** by hand, considering I test 8 or more times a day and haven't filled out a logbook since 1999. That's how long software for the meter's has been available. Medicare, obviously is used to dealing with type 2 diabetes and not type 1 diabetes.You know what dealing with our government on medical condition's is like.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I doubt running virtual mode needs another 2GB of RAM, the requirements say a min of 2GB, not an additional 2GB (though at least 3GB total is better) and that is WITH the normal stuff running. I have to agree I think an additional 8GB is wasted overkill.

As for trusting a VM ... Virtual PC - XP mode is meant to be trusted and used just like any XP desktop. They are sold as a business solution to a W7 compatibility/upgrade issue. The Virtual environment should be included in your back-up and restore procedures so that nothing is lost; just like you do all you sensitive data but you can trust them and use them as you would any XP machine. Anything less and Microsoft would have businesses screaming bloody murder.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Actually, the more RAM that you can lend the VM, up to it's cutoff point for the OS (around 3.25GB for XP Mode), the better it'll run. My notebook runs 64 bit OS's in VM's, they perform almost like real machines. And I only have 6GB installed RAM.

But seriously, I thought this thread is about security, the latest malware threat. It's veered off topic a few times already. If the topic is no longer about this, it should be abandoned.

There's other places on the forum to discuss virtual machines. A new category, at my request, was created for that purpose. It could use some traffic.

Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question