BSOD with Skype's latest upgrade

Reaction score
I had previously posted in this thread https://www.w7forums.com/threads/bsod-with-skype.18595/ regarding this issue. I receive the BSOD when I open Skype. I completed all the steps, and hopefully you can access these files.
It wouldn't let me upload the file with the .DMP extension and when I zip them both it says it's too big. If it's not accessible, let me know and I'll try to share another way.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByiJF1YBcDBwYTVpMG80eGppNUU/edit?usp=sharing
I would love some addt'l assistance if possible.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Have you run HP Support Assistant to update all the drivers?

Reaction score
Yes, I installed it and ran it as the initial troubleshooting step. Everything is up to date.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Ok, sorry for the slow response.

1/ Download procdump from HERE.
2/ Unzip it and copy it in to a directory called C:\Temp (You might have to create it, if it doesn't exist)
3/ Open a command prompt as Administrator
  1. click on Start
  2. type in cmd
  3. cmd appears in the list.
  4. Right click on cmd and select "Run As Administrator"
4/ Type in
Code:
cd c:\temp
procdump -e -w -ma skype.exe c:\temp
5/ Start skype

Procdump should catch the skype crashing. The crash dump file should be in the C:\Temp directory. Please put it in a zip file and upload it to mediafire or OneDrive or something like that.

Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Reaction score
I did as suggested above and the dos prompt indicates that it is doing something as it waited for Skype to start. I started skype and it listed the information that it was going to save a dump file to the c:\temp directory, but then nothing is there except for the EULA and the PROCDUMP program, after the BSOD. I have my view to show hidden files. I searched the C drive for the 'process name'd file. I assume Skype....date time...No luck. Any other suggestions? o_O

Shintaro

Reaction score
Could you please try it again. I added the '2' to the command line to capture unhandled exceptions

Code:
cd c:\temp
procdump -e 2 -w -ma skype.exe c:\temp

Shintaro

Reaction score
There is a older version of Skype HERE.
So uninstall your version and try the older version

If that version still crashes, open Internet explorer and DISABLE any Skype addons.

Then re-try Skype.

Reaction score
I did that and Skype is working. I took these same steps before and got it to work as well (with an installation from oldversions.com) but I updated it and ended up back to the BSOD on start. I guess I can never update this application?

Thanks for bearing with me and all your help!

Ask a Question