iTunes - how to use on dual-boot system?

Reaction score
I have Vista and W7 dual-booting. I was using iTunes on Vista, and now wish to use it in W7, using the same library. Has anyone achieved this? If so, how?

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
In iTunes
File>Add Folder to Library>C:\(drive that vista is on)>My music>iTunes

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

Will this result in the library being 'synced' in both Vista and W7?

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure. iTunes is pretty smart...

Reaction score
Dual Booting with one OS hidden will cause a problem if your Itunes files are on a hidden Drive.

Reaction score
I really don't think that's right, BetaMan. The database files associated with the install will live in the "My Music/iTunes" folder for the user account in each instance of the OS, so simply adding all the music from the other installation of iTunes will not keep the databases in sync at all, it will just create two different iTunes music repositories.

Consider a title change :)

I'm still searching for a way to do this and I'll post if I get something working.

Reaction score
When you click the iTunes icon, hold down shift. This will let you chose what library you use. Direct iTunes to the library in your other OS, and voila.
However, this will create a new iTunes library file in your Win7 folders, so the libraries will not be synched if you add new music.
There was an iLounge article about it for more info, but I can't track it down. Take a look around iLounge if you really want to find it.

Reaction score
One thing to consider too is if you have an iPhone and want to have your apps synced on both, then go to File->Transfer Purchases from iPod. You may need to authorize this computer too by goign to Store->Authorize Computer

Ask a Question