Issues with x64 Program Files

Reaction score
Hello,

I have installed original windows 7 64-bit. It was a clean and successful install. The only mistake i did was i tried to delete (shift) the Program Files folder.

I didn't knew that in 64 bit version windows creates 2 folders "Program Files" and "Program Files (x64)" respectively.

What i did was, i thought that its a duplicate folder and i tried to delete the Program Files folder. Some of the contents were deleted and some didn't due to permission.

Now what's happening is i cannot play any default game like solitare etc. The game icon shows the stop sign (in red). Upon double clicking on it does not start the game.

How do i get all the files back. I don't want to re install it. Will Add/Remove Programs work? or Windows Repair may be ?? plz help

Thanks

Reaction score
Try Window Repair. Otherwise, "upgrade" to the exact same SKU (Windows Version).

Eg. If you are running Windows 7 x64 RTM Ultimate, run the disk in Windows, and Upgrade to Windows 7 x64 RTM Ultimate. ;)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Not in the recycle bin? Just a thought!

Reaction score
it was a shift delete ..... can i just copy program files from any other windows 7 pc and paste it .. ? another thought ?

Reaction score
If you have not overwritten the deleted data you may be able to recovery the files using recovery software.

A good free program for file recovery can be found here - Recuva

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have installed original windows 7 64-bit. It was a clean and successful install. The only mistake i did was i tried to delete (shift) the Program Files folder.

I didn't knew that in 64 bit version windows creates 2 folders "Program Files" and "Program Files (x64)" respectively.
1. Don't move your Program Files Folder, that's where x64 programs reside.
2. The two folders actually are: Program Files & Program Files (x86). Again don't mess with them leave them where they are.

it was a shift delete ..... can i just copy program files from any other windows 7 pc and paste it .. ? another thought ?
No, the folder (program files) is unique to each computer.

Just re-install.

Reaction score
I would not take the risk of restoring it from deleted files, since this is usually not 100% reliable to get all files back.
However, Windows 7 has a built in feature of previous versions of files and folders. If you are lucky this should work:
Open my computer, right click your c: drive and choose Restore previous version, you should see a list of previous versions, choose one of them and click open, copy the missing folder and paste in to your c: drive, it should solve your problem.
Hope it helps.

Ask a Question