SOLVED Is this a decent wireless router for cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK I am planning to recommend this to my sister unless you raise any flags.

This would be wired to an XP desktop and provide wireless to the W7 laptop she is getting my nephews for Christmas.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2610-Index-_-WirelessRouters-_-33166044-L019C

$20 Black Friday Deal

Yes I wish it had 300Mbps like the one I installed for my brother but that was an $85 Belkin, I think this 150Mbps will do for the price.

There is also a printer attached to the XP desktop and I need to set up file & printer sharing so the laptop can print to it. Any ideas or concerns about it being W7 wireless to XP hosted printer?

Reaction score
Rosewill RNX-EasyN400 IEEE 802.11b/g/n Wireless-N

I can't speak for that router specifically. Until I hear more about the Rosewill name, I'm steering clear of them for now.

This is one I have recently purchased. It seems to be working fine for me. The modem here has built in router functionality, so that feature needed to be disabled in one or the other. Disabling router functionality in the ASUS router could not have been easier.

ASUS RT-N10 802.11b/g/n Wireless Router up to 150Mbps/ 10/100 Mbps Ethernet Port x4

Good luck with your purchase though, whatever it may be. :)

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I don't know that particular model, nor have I ever had anything Rosewill, but it's a brand owned by Newegg afaik, so I would be willing to give it a go.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I haven't had any experience with the Rosewill brand, but I buy a fair amount of goods from Newegg, and the Rosewill brand has good ratings. I would not hesitate to buy a Rosewill brand, if something came along that I needed.

One thing that you can count on, is that no matter what, Newegg stands behind what they sell, and listens to their customer's input. For example, they took a lot of heat over how their hard drives were packaged, and recently the problem was corrected, making sure that the drive was in a cardboard sleeve (I believe that you and I both bought one of the 1TB Samsung Spinpoints during the same promotion), and it was far better packaged than the WD Caviar Black that I bought from them.

At any rate, I'd not be afraid to purchase from them again, and if the Rosewill brand was an item that I need, I'd give it a shot. I don't believe that you have to spend a fortune to have a decent (meaning a quality usable) signal. If you're doing a lot of advanced options, and have a lot users around (traffic), mabye so. But I feel that you'll come out good on your purchase.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Ordered it for her. Thank you for your input.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have never bought anything by Rosewill and it is Newegg's house brand but from what I've heard it's good stuff.

What is really important is... what type or brand of chipset is used. That's the kicker.

Year ago I bought an inexpensive AirLink wired router for about $20, it had the exact same chipset and features as the more expensive D-Link router for $50 !!

It's MIMO and and WPA / AES security. For $20 that's a steal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question