Decent Spell Checker for IE9?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've been using IE9 on Win 7 for almost a month now, and for the most part, like what I see. It's lean, fast, and good looking.

But where's the spell checker? I tried Speckie, another member suggested it, it installed OK, but oftentimes, it doesn't catch words that are misspelled, although it opens a page to offer an update 2 times per week.

I thought about IE7 Pro, but that would be the beginning of cluttering the nice, clean screen that IE9 offers. I've gained at least an inch of screen space w/IE9, and don't really like toolbars anyway. For the time being, I'm using a paperback copy of Webster's New World Dictionary as my assistant.

Any suggestions out there?

Cat

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I use IESpell (http://www.iespell.com/), it's not as simple or intuative as Speckie, but it's free and does the job.

You can right click on any text box and then just click "check spelling" and it will do just that. :)

Reaction score
I use Spell Check Anywhere. It wasn't free, but wasn't prohibitively expensive either and quite powerful. Just go to the moniker dot com a read up on it.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I was using Speckie, I believe you were the one who mentioned it to us in another thread. But it frequently misses words that's not spelled correctly, and for a program that offers a new updated version at least once a week, it leaves a little to be desired.

I used the easy installer, the one that's supposed to configure your version (32 or 64 bit). Perhaps I need to select the advanced installer.

Thanks.

Cat

Reaction score
Your welcome. it is fine for me, as I use FF about 95% of the time. I do use IE for certain things

Reaction score
I've grown dependent on the spell checker that comes with Opera. I really love the real time checker and then a simple right click on the miss spelled word for a list of possible words to select from. The spell checker is my biggest hold back on reverting to IE once again.

Reaction score
My vote goes along with Ian's ... IESpell. It was easy to configure and did a splendid job of catching most common spelling errors, that is, when I last used IE as my primary browser, which was IE7. Since I rarely use IE these days, I cannot state with certainty whether it works equally as well with IE8 or IE9.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's the one thing that I miss, too. Right now, as I'm typing this post, I'm on Mint, which has FF 3.6.15 as it's default browser, which does have an excellent spell checker. I do have Opera installed, both on Win 7 & Mint, at first, I was having to use it some on 7. It's actually a good browser, and has a speed booster for those who has slow internet connections. It's actually a better browser that it's usage figures suggests.

A dependable, real time spell checker is a must. I used to be a good speller, but meds for my condition kinda clouds my brain a little.:D

And continually having to lookup words in this paperbook dictionary slows me down, sometimes to the point that I'm forgetting what I'm even thinking about to begin with.

I'll continue to seek a solution, but I'm also going to make a suggestion to MS about this. While they don't personally answer every email, all suggestions are read and those that have merit are considered by the Windows team for future development.

Cat

Reaction score
Catilley~

I believe both me and Super Sarge mentioned Speckie for a spell checker.

Right now the deveolper/creator of the program is rolling out Finals AND Beta stage of the program.

If you look also on the forum for Speckie you will see where you can download the latest Final .. as well as the Latest Betas of the program. .

He also has a dedicated thread on another forum(not sure if i can "cross post" the link to that forum here without Mod approval) but if you want the link to keep updated on Speckie another forum I can send to you in PM if its not allowed here, I know I DID post the link here at one point but just want to make sure again just to be safe:)

I can also say it DOES work yes it has it's limitations(as does all software) but things can't always be perfect and run flawlessly.

Just my thoughts.
~LoneWolf

Ask a Question