Kensington Trackball Driver Works In Vista But Not In Win7 Vista Compatibility

Reaction score
I have a Kensington Trackball (Expert Mouse) model 64217, which is the old grey 4 button billiard ball style trackball and which is far and away my preferred mouse device (it’s been around since Windows XP days). Kensington got considerable grief (and rightly so in my opinion) when Vista came out for not providing driver support for this mouse in Vista.

I was fortunate in being able to find a version of Kensington Mouseworks (6.2.2) which installed under Vista and supports my Trackball perfectly...even though Kensington provides no direct support for it under Vista. It provides driver support for not only the Trackball but about 50 or so other mouse devices. My Vista system is Vista Home Premium SP2, 32 bit and I must have been fortunate in finding a combination of Vista levels and Mouseworks driver that still supports my Trackball perfectly under Vista (even though many others have not been able to get their older Trackballs to operate under Vista).

My problem now is that I am migrating my computers from Vista Home Premium 32 bit to Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit but have been unable to complete this change because Mouseworks 6.2.2 will no longer work properly for me under Windows 7. It simply does not provide the support for the various button programming, etc. that it did under my Vista system. In other words, the problem others were experiencing when moving to Vista is now showing up for me when moving to Win 7).

I figured that I would be able to solve this problem by installing Mouseworks 6.2.2 under Vista SP2 compatibility mode in Windows 7 but no luck. Even after installing it using the Win 7 compatibility troubleshooting feature, Mouseworks still does not operate under Win 7 as it did under Vista (under Win 7, I only get the functions of a basic mouse without the Kensington programability).

I have also tried downloading Kensington's more recent driver packages (Trackballworks). Those packages only support Kensington’s newer trackballs and will not install with an older Trackballs like mine connected (could Kensington possibly make this any more difficult or show any less sensitivity to their loyal customers?). Kensington's customer support has been no help with this.

I’ve tried using the Trackball under other packages such as “MS Intellipoint” and “X-Mouse” but again, I can only get SOME of the programmable functions of Mouseworks but not all of the ones I need. Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this? It seems as if my best shot is to get Mouseworks to install under Vista compatibility mode under Win 7 and I frankly don’t understand why it won’t do so.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
32-bit and 64-bit drivers are usually quite different and compatibility mode is really for programs, such as maybe the installer, but it won't help with the differences between 32- & 64-bit drivers. Most likely you will have to run W7 32-bit OS if you want to use the drivers you have.

Ask a Question