compatibility issue ?

Reaction score
okay - this is the situation, and i am hoping some of you networking gurus can shed some light for me on it:

i have a program that i created in a 32bit enviroment. i am trying to share this program across a network in this manner -

the computer the actual program is installed on was installed into the root of C:/MyEvents. this is installed on a 64bit system.

the program was then mapped to 32bit system through a Y:/MyEvents to the 64bit system. all the sharing and stuff was done and all the systems see this program.

when running the program in this manner - if i run it on ALL 32bit systems -or ALL of the systems are 64bit - there is not a problem. however, upon trying to run it on a mix of 64bit and 32bit systems -

the program throws errors and the systems slow down to the point of hanging :(
the worst one being the 64bit

i am wondering if there is a work around for this??

would this method be best if i install the program on the 32bit and make the 64bit access it instead of install on 64 bit???

any suggestions would really be helpful!

thanks

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Even on a 64-bit computer, if the program is compiled as 32-bit then it can only run 32-bit, in fact MOST programs still ARE 32-bit so I can't think why the bit-size would have any effect.

The number of machines trying to access it at the same time could effect things and if it is database oriented then data locking and waiting for commits could slow things but still that wouldn't be bit-size related.

Strange, I don't know what to tell you. You say you created it in a 32-bit environment, was this a pre-W7 environment? If so, have you tried running in compatibility-mode for XP or Vista?

Reaction score
yes i have it running in compatibility mode and do not have any database attached to the project as it is all storing in xml and straight text files.

as i stated earlier - if running it on all 32 or all 64 bit - then it all runs okay. the problems arise when there are mixed systems in the line up. like a 32 bit and a 64bit.

been doing some reading on this and though i have not found an answer - i can kind of understand the reason why the problem is arising. something about different dll's that run on 64 and 32. and have been reading about a rebut under the wow64.

but im afraid that that will not work as the only system this is actually installed on is a 64bit - and the other systems do not hold the executable as the executable is in the system that is a 64, so the 32 bits are only clicking on a shortcut on the desktop - but are actually running the 64 bit executable.

thats why i THOUGHT maybe if i made the main system (the one that actually holds the executable) on a 32 bit and then had the 64bit come to it?

and by the way thank you for at least taking the time to shoot out a response :)

Last edited:

Ask a Question