SOLVED Internet Explorer 32 bit link not working (my 64-bit works fine)

Reaction score
Hello,

I have just bougth a new pc HP z600 with Windows 7 professional 64 bit operating system. When i didi the automatic updates of windows i've instaled the internet explorer 64 bit, and it works fine. The problem is that all the links from the windows programs seem to be "conected" to the internet explorer 32 bit. Resulte: when i try automatic updates for that programs it tries to do it trough internet explorer 32 bit and i get a message saying that internet explorer stopped working. How can i chang that configuration so the all the updates and links start to work with internet explorer 64 or otres (Mozila...etc) ?

Thanks for the help you can give me.

Filipe

Reaction score
With then new PC running 7/64 bit, it all ready has IE 64 bit installed, so there is no need to download it. Click start orb, all programs and scroll up near the top and you should see IE 64 bit and IE. From there is where you have to open IE 64 bit, unless you create a desktop shortcut or pin it to the task bar. To verify which version you are using, open up IE, click tools wheel, click about IE...it will tell you what version your running.

IE versions.jpg

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
IE 64 Bit cannot be run as default in Windows 7. You can run it from the menu, without problems, but if you try and link it in anyway, for example through your favorites, Windows 7 will revert to the 32Bit.
It will also, on occasions, even revert to the 32Bit if you try to connect to Tabs.
It is still in a Test phase and hopefully MS will alow us to make it the default soon.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I said i heve the IE 64 bit version working fine, but the default 32 bit version is not working - when i click it i get the "stoped working..." message. How can i change this?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Sorry. That is not how I read it. In that case I have no solution. However, for my own interest, I would like to know how you managed to get the IE 64Bit running as your default, as I would prefer that.

Reaction score
Ok. i've done it!
Ctrl panel/all control panel items/ Default programs/set defaul programs

Then i've just choose the internet explorer 9 64 bit version.
It's working fine!

Thanks for the help.
I have other problem with audio/video now..but i have post other tread..

Thanks

Fil

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Interesting. I do not have that option available, and In the IE 64bit options, it still advises me that it cannot be used as the defualt. A query I have just made on the MS Technet pages confirms that. You have a break though - good luck.

Reaction score
Me either...though like yourself davehc, I would like that to be my default as well.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Yeah. I tried cheating the OS. I swapped all the IE folders from progarm files and program files (x86) - did'nt work.

Ask a Question