SOLVED Mouse doesn't want to scroll bookmarks in Internet Explorer 64 bit

Reaction score
Oh mama,

I'm using Windows Home Premium 64 bit with Internet Explorer 9 - also 64 bit. I'm finding scrolling through the Bookmarks with this Logitech MX Mouse not working totally well.
If I scroll slow, it doesn't move through the Bookmarks - if I scroll fast, it will but is rather jerky. I've even put Wizmouse on here and that really doesn't improve anything either.
Any suggestions would be so much appreciated. Thanks!

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
What bookmarks? How many? Where are they located?

Did the problem just start? Have you scanned for malware?

Reaction score
Question - What Bookmarks = Answer "My Bookmarks"

Problem always has been in IE but Wizmouse used to fix it. On freespin (MX Revolution Mouse) it works not bad. Click to Click - doesn't work to well. I can roll the mouse on the Click several times before the scroll will work in the Bookmarks.

Not Spyware / Malware / Myware etc ---

Further question - is there programs that are compatible with Wizmouse.

In addition - other browsers do not present this problem - only IE 9.

Thanks for the reply.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Answer "My Bookmarks"
No kidding? Note it was a 3 part question.

Not familiar with Wizmouse, but regardless, you should not needed.

Note that most problems with IE8 and IE9 are due to conflicting or misbehaving add-ons. To run without add-ons, click on the Start orb and start entering in the search box, Internet Explorer. When you see "Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)" appear, double-click it and see how that works. Alternatively, I recommend you reset Internet Explorer. From within IE, click on Tools > Internet options > Advanced, then click "Reset..." to take IE back to its default settings with no add-ons.

Reaction score
No kidding? Note it was a 3 part question.

Not familiar with Wizmouse, but regardless, you should not needed.

Note that most problems with IE8 and IE9 are due to conflicting or misbehaving add-ons. To run without add-ons, click on the Start orb and start entering in the search box, Internet Explorer. When you see "Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)" appear, double-click it and see how that works. Alternatively, I recommend you reset Internet Explorer. From within IE, click on Tools > Internet options > Advanced, then click "Reset..." to take IE back to its default settings with no add-ons.
Indeed!!! No kidding. And as to your three part question, that was as clear as Wizmouse is to you.

I've reset IE but that made no difference. It's been a long time since I've seen either IE8 & 9 work with the mouse - scrolling through the Bookmarks with the mouse. I've tried different mice and nothing works - apart from Wizmouse.

If you've further suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Let's see what you can do ..............................

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
First, I would make sure you have the latest drivers for your Mouse; that driver is the most likely cause.

There is also a smooth scrolling option in settings that you might try switching (check it if it isn't or visa versa) to see if it helps. (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Performance Information and Tools ... Adjust Visual Effects ... Try "adjust for best performance" or Check "Custom" & check/uncheck the "smooth-scroll list boxes"

If you have an older machine it could be that your bookmarks are getting so many that it is taking a lot of memory and it can't keep up to scroll smoothly. If you have so many bookmarks that you actually need to scroll then you should consider making folders/subfolders instead.

And Digerati, Wizmouse might not be needed but it or something like it (I use KatMouse) makes the mouse function more intuitively with windowed windows (non-full screen). In my opinion and that of many people, the mouse should act on the window under it, not on whichever window happens to have focus.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Have the latest Drivers for this Logitech MX Revolution Mouse - that really never solved the problem.
The Smooth Scrolling has never solved the problem. I've tried that solution also but to no avail.
Don't see any "adjust for best performance" in the Control Panel / Adjust Visual Effects. Unchecking "Smooth Scrolling" I've tried before - this has no effect either.

The unit is not two years old yet - I have 8 Gigs of DDR3 RAM - the fact that the scroll will work from the Wheelmouse in other browsers tells me memory & the amount of Bookmarks isn't the issue.

Right now, the Wizmouse does the trick with the Logitech Software set at Free Spin.
Any further suggestions will be welcomed. Thanks!!!

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
And Digerati, Wizmouse might not be needed
I am just saying you should not use Wizmouse (or KatMouse) to "fix" a fault. They add features, and that's fine if you need them. In this case, jerkiness, which typically indicates a problem with the resources, is a "fault" - something is broken and not working as designed. Adding something else that consumes those precious resources is not a standard corrective action.

It is like downloading and installing CCleaner when you are desperately low on free disk space. CCleaner may be great for cleaning out the clutter, but installing more programs when desperately low on free disk space is not the solution.

Indeed!!! No kidding. And as to your three part question, that was as clear as Wizmouse is to you.
And yet, we still don't know how many bookmarks we are talking about or where they are located - which I though were pretty straightforward questions.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Rip, I believe he is asking if they are your bookmarks in IE9 (which is how I read your post) or if it is in something else (other software maintains their own lists).

Wizmouse supposedly (never used it myself) adds scroll functionality to things that weren't set up for scroll wheel, however there is a caveat that Nibs made note of "Logitech Mice users take note: Some users have reported issues when using WizMouse with Logitech mice. This appears to be caused by conflicts between the Logitech mouse driver software and WizMouse. Upgrading your Logitech drivers and/or installing the latest Logitech SetPoint software should solve any such issues."

Since it mentions Setpoint, this may be old because I don't believe the MX Mouse uses SetPoint, but you may want to actually try removing WizMouse to make sure it is not, in fact, the cause of your issue rather than it's savior.

If your scrolling seems better without WizMouse then perhaps try the one I use called KatMouse. But, as Digerati mentioned regarding WizMouse, KatMouse is to add some functionality, not really to fix a problem.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Rip, I believe he is asking if they are your bookmarks in IE9 (which is how I read your post) or if it is in something else (other software maintains their own lists).
I just want to make sure we are on the same page. For example, IE uses "Favorites" not "Bookmarks". Firefox uses Bookmarks. So are we really talking about IE Favorites? Or FF Bookmarks that were imported? And if IE Favorites, are they in their default locations?

Reaction score
You say "I am just saying you should not use Wizmouse (or KatMouse) to "fix" a fault" ... . I say, that's what I came on here for - for your help. You're telling me what not to do - I want to know "what to do" ---

And again you say "And yet, we still don't know how many bookmarks we are talking about or where they are located - which I though were pretty straightforward questions" ... I shall answser profoundly "how do I know exactly how many bookmarks I have - let's put it this way, there's more than fifty" ... and if you should happen to say, "that's too many" (hopefully you don't) then I would again reply in simplicity "No other browser is giving me this problem."

As to where they are located, they are located under Bookmarks and whereever IE9 puts them I suppose.

Reaction score
You say "I am just saying you should not use Wizmouse (or KatMouse) to "fix" a fault"

You stated "Rip, I believe he is asking if they are your bookmarks in IE9 (which is how I read your post) or if it is in something else (other software maintains their own lists)" ....

The Bookmarks are mine own ...

Scrolling is not better without Wizmouse - Scrolling through the Bookmarks doesn't unless I'm using Wizmouse. I didn't have it installed at all, so installed it after the fact. It was pointed out to me a long time back to use that as an alternative.
Even without the Setpoint, the problem exist(ed) ---- what I'll do though when I get back in, is that I'll remove it again and let you know the results.

Thanks for the efforts ----

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
As to where they are located, they are located under Bookmarks and whereever IE9 puts them I suppose.
Again, IE does not use "Bookmarks". Therefore, IE would not put them under "Bookmarks", unless IE has been modified.

Sorry if I seem elusive, and certainly, telling folks what NOT to do is part of our job too. Sorry if it is not what you want to hear, but we have nothing to go on but the information you supply, and whether intentional or not, information coming this way is a bit elusive, not very forthcoming.

We ARE here to help you - but when help is administered remotely, the best we can really do is help you help yourself - but only if we understand what is going on too. So we ask questions.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Did you try "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Performance Information and Tools ... Adjust Visual Effects ... adjust for best performance" that I mentioned above?

I also think adding folders under favorites and sorting your bookmarks into those folders so each list is shorter may help if it is a performance issue.

And I do think uninstalling WizMouse and giving KatMouse a try is worth a shot.

Many of these things are trial and error. And sometimes it is a conflicting piece of software that is the problem. Sometimes the best we can do is a work-around. You will do what you want to do and all we can do is make suggestions that may help.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
So you do have SetPoint installed?

Reaction score
Again, IE does not use "Bookmarks". Therefore, IE would not put them under "Bookmarks", unless IE has been modified.

Sorry if I seem elusive, and certainly, telling folks what NOT to do is part of our job too. Sorry if it is not what you want to hear, but we have nothing to go on but the information you supply, and whether intentional or not, information coming this way is a bit elusive, not very forthcoming.

We ARE here to help you - but when help is administered remotely, the best we can really do is help you help yourself - but only if we understand what is going on too. So we ask questions.
I think you're going to have to realize you're not dealing with a pro here - I know nothing about Bookmarks / where IE9 keeps them --- I only know I have them listen under Bookmarks within IE9.
It's not a matter of what I want to hear - it's really a matter of understanding you what you are trying to say. If you're close to a pro, you should know many of us who come onto a forum like this is to get help - we don't necessarily know the mechanics of the program, in this case, IE9.

I'd suggest you go back and re-read my posts to see if there is anything in there to help you figure out why a mouse-wheel won't scroll in the Bookmark sections of IE9. Is this really the first time you've heard of this problem?
And I do appreciate your attemps to help me out - as for me giving you the mechanics of IE9, you and I probably are not going to get very far. ;-)

Reaction score
Did you try "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Performance Information and Tools ... Adjust Visual Effects ... adjust for best performance" that I mentioned above?

I also think adding folders under favorites and sorting your bookmarks into those folders so each list is shorter may help if it is a performance issue.

And I do think uninstalling WizMouse and giving KatMouse a try is worth a shot.

Many of these things are trial and error. And sometimes it is a conflicting piece of software that is the problem. Sometimes the best we can do is a work-around. You will do what you want to do and all we can do is make suggestions that may help.
I've gone to Contro Panel / adjust for best performance. This really does nothing either. I find it strange that I would have to take the bookmarks and put them into folders to make them easier - to get them to work better when browsers such as Opera / Google Chrome / Firefox gives me no grief whatsoever.

As stated, Wizmouse works well on the "free spin" - I'm going to uninstall Setpoint (although I'm quite sure this will make no difference based on previous uninstalls) but if anything goes awry and works right - I'll let you both know.
Somewhere, there's something that is not allowing the mouse to scroll down through the Bookmarks and it's been an ongoing problem for two years or so now.
Thanks again for your efforts!!! Much appreciated!!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK Ripsnort, I think Digerati was just trying to make sure you are actually in IE9. IE9 does not have a "bookmarks" section, it has a "favorites" section. Firefox calls theirs "Bookmarks" so since you used the word bookmarks he was merely trying to figure out if you were really in IE. Sometimes users have no idea what browser they are using and some don't even realize the difference between a browser and the Windows OS. So if you are talking about bookmarks in IE9 please just call them "favorites" so Digerati will be happier.

I did some research. I just made my menus so long that they had to scroll in both FireFox and in IE9 and in Firefox my scroll-wheel does work and in IE9 it does not (even with KatMouse installed). WizMouse may attempt to add the scroll wheel functionality but there is no guarantee it will be successful and it sounds like your issue means it isn't totally successful w/ IE9 favorites.

Also, the scroll wheel may have worked in older versions of IE (and as I said, I know it works in FireFox) but apparently IE9 isn't allowing it and KatMouse can't help (EDIT: WizMouse might help but it may depend on your mouse drivers and settings). Browsers change stuff each generation with the primary purpose, as far as I can see, of angering people and, if you say it worked in older versions of IE (like IE6 in XP), then this may have been one of those unwelcome changes.

Your choice is a different browser or to make your menus shorter utilizing folders, as I offered as an alternative, so that the entire menu fits on one screen. Other than that information, I'm afraid in this case, I can't help you.

I also retract my idea to try the performance setting for smooth scrolling; I know it won't suddenly make IE9 favorites work with a scroll wheel which is what you want.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Core, I did up till tonight have Setpoint installed. I uninstalled it but it made no difference. I downloaded Microsoft Intellimouse software but that made no difference scrolling through the Bookmarks. It simply will not scroll with the Mousewheel apart from Wizmouse. The only thing I think I gained from MIcrosoft's software, is that I can slow down the fast scrolling on the webpages. I am going to try the Katmouse softare suggested by Trainable Man.
Any further suggestions will be sure welcomed.

Reaction score
Ok trainableman - now I understand the Bookmarks / Favourites issue. Sorry about the confusion.

You are saying Wizmouse doesn't do the trick - actually I'm saying it does. After installing Microsoft Intellimouse software, the scroll will not work in the Favoites (I still call them Bookmarks). Enabling Wizmouse does the trick and allow me to scroll down through the Favorites. Plus, unlike Setpoint, the Microsoft software is permitting me to scroll through the Favorites / Webpages either with, I'll call it the Freespin OR click at the set speed I prefer. Setpoint was not permitting me to do that.

Soooooooooooooooo - my apologies to you Digerati for not following you on the Favorites issue. AND, I'm going to say that with Microsoft teamed with Wizmouse is working 110%.

I realize what you are saying about the added software, but with nearly 400 gigs of space left on my hard drive and 8 Gigs of RAM, I'm going to settle for this until someone from Microsoft comes up with something better.

Thanks again for the help and efforts on this one!!! I appreciate you fellows taking the time to look into this.

Ask a Question