SOLVED 32 or 64 bit Internet Explorer

Reaction score
Has a complete novice when it comes to the technical workings of the computer, I need a bit of advice concerning the set up between useing the 64bit or the 32bit browser. I have been told that that I can use either setups has they are both in the computer, but it seems that when I set it up it started useing the 64bit, I want to change it to 32bit, has when I go onto some websites, such has U-TUBE I can't use it has everthing seems to be on the 32 bit system. any advice would be welcomed.
thanks tourer35

Reaction score
Windows 7 x64 (64bit) machines come with (effectivly) two copies of IE (Internet Explorer). One is 64bit the other is 32bit.

IE uses additional pieces of software called 'plug-ins' which enable it to do things that it can't do out of the box. Example, the Adobe Flash plug-in allows IE to display Flash content (YouTube Movies, Animations and much more).

The problem at the moment is that most/all plug-ins made for the 32bit version of IE will not work in the 64bit version of IE, therefore a software developer that makes the plug-in would have to write two versions of it. (One for the 32bit IE and another for the 64bit version).
As you can probably imagine this would take a lot more time for developers, cost more money and so they are relucant to do it at the moment as not enough people use the 64bit version of the browser.

In short use the 32bit version of IE as you will find that the 64bit version is not supported by enough developers yet.

Hope this explains things,

Oliver
www.codeblog.co.uk

Reaction score
windows 7

Hi Green2 go, thanks for your quick reply, what you have mentioned is exactly what Iam baffled with, why did it go straight onto the 64bit rather than the 32 bit, and has you say both are in the windows 7, now my problem is how do I switch to the 32 bit!
what comes up on the screen is I need to update the flash player, but seeing the computer is only 4 weeks old it doesn't make sense.
thanks tourer35

Reaction score
Hi, sorry for missing the point.

I have attached a screen shot of my PCs 'All programs menu'. You should have two IE icons within this menu, one marked as 64bit the other not. Clicking on the one NOT marked as 64bit will launch the regular 32bit version of IE.

You cannot set the 64bit version of IE to be your default browser, so I find it hard to believe that Windows is using it by default.
Windows may of pinned the shortcut (for the 64-bit version) to your start menu as you've been using it. Right click on the icon and click 'Remove from this list' to remove it.
If your using the icon on the task bar, you can also right click this and click 'Unpin this program from taskbar'.
Please make sure that all the icons are leading to the 64bit version before removing them.

You can double check which version of IE your currently looking at by pressing the 'Alt' key on your keyboard while in IE, then clicking 'Help' on the menu that pops up towards th top of the IE window, then by clicking about. The screen that pops up will have the words '64-bit Edition' next to the version number. If you cannot see this your running the 32-bit edition.

Sounds like you possibly may be using the 32bit version already, just without the up to date Flash player?

Even though your PC is 4 weeks old (I'm gusessing you bought your PC 4 weeks ago) this does not mean the software on it is up to date. PCs can sit on shelves for months before being sold, your PC was probably manufatured five months ago or longer. To add to that the manufatures don't always load their PCs with the newest versions of software so the Flash version your using could be closer to a year old!

Try going to this link and following the steps onscreen and installing the latest version of Adobe Flash in the 32bit version of IE.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=BUIGP

Read the instructions carefully otherwise you'll end up installing the Google Toolbar as well!

If I haven't explained anything clearly enough, let me know and I'll clarify.

Oliver
www.codeblog.co.uk

Attachments

Reaction score
windows 7

Hi Oliver, thanks for your help, the computer was set up for me when I first got it, and up till now I have had no problems using it, until I decided to go onto U Tube,
There are 2 Internet Express in the left column, one marked (64) and the other blank,
I did has you suggested and left the one with the (64) mark, and now Iam able to go onto U Tube with no problem, I will in the meantime leave things has they are until I get more used to the workings of this computer, but I will say, I will still miss my old Windows XP. thanks again for your help.
tourer35

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I will still miss my old Windows XP. thanks again for your help.
Windows 7 is a learning curve, just like XP was for all of us back in 2001!

You'll get there, don't worry.

Ask a Question