Internet Connection Problems

Reaction score
Hello, im having some serius problems whit my internett connection at the moment,
It all started whit my old setup. i had an asus m2n-e sli motherboard and installed windows and all worked perfectly, but some days later when i start my machine i get the message: unable to connect to the internett, but it connects to my rutermodem, but i just cant get no internett connection, ive god so tired of this that i build a new rig for windows 7, and formated everything, and reinstalled windows 7 on my new systems, works like a dream, then now about 6 days later i get the same problem!

I just cant understand what the problem is, we got 3 machines here, all running w7 and connected to same ruter, and im the only one whit this problem, i also got a friend of mine whit the same motherboard and he got no problems at all?

My system:

Motherboard: Asus Maximus ii formula p45 Socket 775
Cpu: Intel Q9950
GFX: Gainward 8800gt 1gb
Soundboard: Xfi Supreme FX
Network controller: Marvell yukon 88E8056
Ram: 4gb of Kingstone 1066mhz DDR2

So the only way i can get internett on this machine now is to go to device manager and delete the nettwork addapter, then find new hardware and then it works untill i restart my pc?

Also What ive done is:

Updating to the newest network controller driver, and the one before that whitout luck. then i run the microsoft security essential virus scan, and it only found the trojan: Trojan:win32/Orsam!rts, I quarantine this one whitout luck, same problem

I realy cant get whats wrong, my best guess is a virus, but get it on a new machine right after fresh install? and the virus controll cant find nothing. i also run the latest windows updates whitout luck.

So it cant be the motherboard since ive changed it, and same problem (and yes i have formated the pc completly and freshly installed w7)

List of other problems installed on my pc:

Firefox
Quake4
Winamp
Photoshop cs3
sony veges 9.0
mirc (for use whit gaming, havent clicked any links on it)
spotify (music program)
MSN
Ventrilo
Mumble
windows mail
Utorrent (tho i havent downloaded a single file after reinstall)
Magicdisk (for mounting iso files)
Office 2007
Steam
Xfire

Thats all the programs i have installed atm, and i havent been into any suspicius sites, just normal online newspapers sites her in norway witch i know is secure.
so i realy dont think its virus either.

Any 1 got any ides? thanks.

-Concker

Last edited:
Reaction score
Concker, I would first remove the Trojan MS Security picked up. I have no experience with the software but would expect that if you enter safe mode (F8 while posting) and run the security suite it will not have an issue removing it.

As you had this issue with your old set up as well as with your new build, to me it points to either your one of the following:

Ethernet Cable
Modem
Installed Software

If none of these then I would go into the modems admin page (mine is 10.1.1.1 in any internet exploring program, then you enter your administration user name and password, should be found on the base of the modem but is most likely user: admin, p/w: admin or password unless someone has changed it.

When you get in reset the settings and delete any custom configurations. After this you may need to reinstall uTorrent so it can configure the required port forward settings. You may also need to give it access to do so in the modem (http://portforward.com/)

I note you have Quake 4, is this a downloaded copy that maybe carrying the Trojan you have detected?

Reaction score
Concker, I would first remove the Trojan MS Security picked up. I have no experience with the software but would expect that if you enter safe mode (F8 while posting) and run the security suite it will not have an issue removing it.

As you had this issue with your old set up as well as with your new build, to me it points to either your one of the following:

Ethernet Cable
Modem
Installed Software

If none of these then I would go into the modems admin page (mine is 10.1.1.1 in any internet exploring program, then you enter your administration user name and password, should be found on the base of the modem but is most likely user: admin, p/w: admin or password unless someone has changed it.

When you get in reset the settings and delete any custom configurations. After this you may need to reinstall uTorrent so it can configure the required port forward settings. You may also need to give it access to do so in the modem (http://portforward.com/)

I note you have Quake 4, is this a downloaded copy that maybe carrying the Trojan you have detected?
Nah, i got no pirated software atm. and its not the modem or cables, it works whit all the others pcs in the house, and it seems to a problem whit the x64 bit systems of w7.
seems like it cant resolve the ips.

Reaction score
Hi Concker - Welcome to w7forums

Make sure you don't have your browser set to work offline.

Which internet browsers are you using? Do you have a connection with a different browser?

Reaction score
Hi Concker - Welcome to w7forums

Make sure you don't have your browser set to work offline.

Which internet browsers are you using? Do you have a connection with a different browser?
Im using firefox, but its not the browser, since non of my internett programs works aswell. and after some seartching it seems to be a problem either whit asus motherboards or w7 64bit =/

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Concker

Can you (on another PC) download Ubuntu > http://www.ubuntu.com/ burn the ISO to CD and run it live on the problem PC to see if you can stay connected, if you can its a problem with W7 if you cant it may be your Hardware.

Reaction score
Hi Concker

Can you (on another PC) download Ubuntu > http://www.ubuntu.com/ burn the ISO to CD and run it live on the problem PC to see if you can stay connected, if you can its a problem with W7 if you cant it may be your Hardware.
Jeesus you all got this wrong, ye im using ubuntu for school related stuff. but it is not a problem whit either the modem/ruter or the hardware! i just changed hardware. it is a software problem caused by windows 7 64bit. ive read around alittle and it seems to be something that windows 7 cant resolve the ip or something due to something, tho havent found a solution yet

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Concker, I agree it's a software issue but I suspect it has an easy fix somewhere.

I see you mentioned the network drivers, but have you installed the chipset drivers for your motherboard? Have you made sure the router was running the latest firmware update?

Reaction score
Concker, I agree it's a software issue but I suspect it has an easy fix somewhere.

I see you mentioned the network drivers, but have you installed the chipset drivers for your motherboard? Have you made sure the router was running the latest firmware update?
yes and yes =/

I got the motherboard drivers, the network driver, and firmware is the newest on the router

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Hm, and the same thing happens if you try using the other ethernet port on the board, as well? Have you tried disabling one of them from within the BIOS?

Honestly it sounds like a driver issue but that's all I have, and you already tried removing it and older versions. What happens if you don't install the LAN drivers at all?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
fwiw. I have installed and reinstalled countless times. Then, some couple of months ago, after a reinstall and a new approach to customisation, I began to experience the same problem. I tried new drivers, backdating drivers, the works. I even consulted my ISP, to se if they were taking my bandwidth during inactivity. I have several, working installations, so it did not bother me, but I could not give up on it.
About two weeks ago, I was messing with the settings once again. Browsing through the Power settings, I decided, for the hell of it, to alter the settings in the sleep mode. (The two items you see in the picture.)

Maybe I got lucky, but no problems since then! Curious thing is, I have no items with this description, which would be able to "wake" the computer. But. Works for me!

View attachment 690

Last edited:

Ask a Question