Intermittent Internet Problems

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have been getting sporadic problems with connecting to websites. I'll be fine for 5 or 10 or sometimes 20 minutes at a time, then I'll start getting can't connect to the server issues for maybe 15-30 seconds and then everything will be ok again. There isn't any pattern that I can detect (ie certain websites that won't load), it just seems like for short bursts of time it can't resolve the DNS.

I was ok for a week or so and then this started happening a few days ago, I installed Office 2007, Nero 9, Suitcase 9 and Kaspersky 8. I've since uninstalled or disabled most of those programs to see if they were creating conflicts, no help. Games for Windows also updated that day.

I'm running the 32bit 7100 Build, I've checked for updated versions of the drivers. The other computers in the house (none of them 7) don't seem to be having any trouble, so I don't think it's the router/modem.

I appreciate any help!

_matt

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Matt! :)

How are you connecting to the router, is it via wireless or LAN cable? Also, can you still ping sites when the problems appear, or is it purely a DNS issue?

Reaction score
Thanks! It's a wired LAN connection to the router. It doen't effect my internal network, I can browser around my local web server just fine. I'll try and ping an IP next time it happens, I'm not at home at the moment. I appreciate the help!

Last edited:
Reaction score
So attempting to ping sites while this is happening results in time-outs on a ping to both google.com and directly to a google ip address.

I've also been downloading a large file over the last hour and a half with no problems there, so it's not as though the internet is dropping out completely....

Last edited:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Do you happen to know if your Network Connection properties DNS matches your Router DNS? Long shot I know, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Reaction score
I think so, I am obtaining the DNS servers automatically, and looking through the router interface it has IPs plugged in for the Primary and Secondary.

It seems strange that it was ok for a long time and then problems. Unfortunately it didn't make a restore point so I wasn't able to revert back to a clean install... I'll have to make sure to set one up next time.

Reaction score
It ended up being something to do with Kaspersky Anti-Virus... completely uninstalling it cleared up the issues. Bummer, I liked that software.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Are you using Kaspersky 2010? I'm using that at the moment and it works well :) (it's a free upgrade from old versions).

Reaction score
Yeah it was the 30-Day Trial of 2010. I switched over to AVG Free and everything is OK now.

Ask a Question