USB 2 intermittent

Reaction score
I've had various devices connected via USB 2. Mouse, flash drive, Kindle, etc.

Sometimes the USB seems to turn/switch on and off. I see this very quickly, because the screen of the Kindle blinks and flashes between screens (charging/reading) and the system speakers squawk each time.

Is this a common problem?

If or if not, is there anything I can do about it? Is Win 7 flakey about handling multiple USB 2 hubs?

JimL

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
USB is only 5volts so if you are not using powered hubs you could be overwhelming your system with too much power draw; I know I can't plug my Lighted keyboard into my hub or weird things start happening on its' LCD screen display. Or it could be as simple as a wire or port that went bad and as you move it is loosing connection and then reestablishing it.

To test if you are loosing and regaining connection I suggest you assign two different "sound events" to usb connect and usb disconnect. (Control Panels > Sound, See under the Sounds Tab)

Reaction score
USB is only 5volts so if you are not using powered hubs you could be overwhelming your system with too much power draw; I know I can't plug my Lighted keyboard into my hub or weird things start happening on its' LCD screen display. Or it could be as simple as a wire or port that went bad and as you move it is loosing connection and then reestablishing it.

To test if you are loosing and regaining connection I suggest you assign two different "sound events" to usb connect and usb disconnect. (Control Panels > Sound, See under the Sounds Tab)
I hope there's more to be said on the subject. Both my hubs are powered. I've moved things around to check connections. The problem persists no matter what combination of ports and cables I use.

Also the system defaults to different sounds on connect and disconnect. Oddly enough the connect sound is descending tones and the disconnect sound is ascending tones. Not that it matters much. With the thing alternating every 2 or 3 seconds it is a series of bweep-bwop, bweep-bwop, bweep-bwop.

I think something is wrong in the system. I just moved the laptop to a different spot (I use it like a desktop) and ended up with fewer devices connected. Yet it loaded up two more usb drivers. On the other hand it has been much more reliable after tearing everything down and putting it back together again in a different place.

The machine is a factory refurb. Guess I might as well go for straight used equipment as refurb.

Ask a Question