Installing W7 and drivers

Reaction score
I rolled back my computer to last time updated drivers ( which is 26th Oct 2010)
to try and fix graphic card issues, now I did and I should do a clean W7 Installation.

Before I begin doing that,just want to be sure that I can uninstall current OS and use the same Product Keys to re-install it.
Rumors are that I need to inform Microsoft about that, so they could reset the keys?
Is that correct?
If it is not, please tell me under what circumstances can I use again my keys.

Also, I would like to know how to install all my drivers later.
I have never performed a Windows re-installation and I do not want to lend my computer to someone.

Please help
Thanks in advance

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well if you rolled back then hopefully you are all fixed. If you rollback to a time when everything was correct and working then the whole point is that you then do NOT have to reinstall.

BUT If you still decide to do a fresh install...
There is no uninstalling the OS. What you do is format the HD and install. Before you would do that you should use Windows Easy Transfer to back up your userid settings & data.

Your existing product key is always valid to be put back on the same machine with the same motherboard however if you do this often (which you don't but I mention it for others) then it may be necessary to call Microsoft to get it activated. (One rumor I heard was that you get 2 installs per 90 days without having to call)

Once installed you restore your information from Windows Easy Transfer and then you reinstall all your programs.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You can do a clean install and use your existing product key with no problems, although IF you're using an OEM key just be sure that the same motherboard is installed as when you did the original install.

Once you have Windows 7 installed, be sure to first install the Intel INF chipset drivers for your motherboard's chipset. Then IF you have your HDD set as an AHCI in the motherboard's BIOS be sure to install the Intel RST drivers next.

Be sure you have latest Intel INF drivers and the correct Intel RST driver for the AHCI setup. Store them on a thumb flash drive, external hard drive or a secondary internal hard drive in a convenient folder.

After that, which may involve a couple of restarts, install your video graphics drivers and then the LAN and WLAN drivers, etc.

Here is a handy tutorial I did a few months ago on how to ensure the Intel INF drivers are correctly installed. Click this link: https://www.w7forums.com/install-intel-inf-drivers-t11823.html

Ask a Question