Installing USB Drivers for use in XP Mode

Reaction score
I am having trouble installing drivers for an Echelon USB network interface.

Echelon does not support 64 bit OS so I am trying to run it in XP mode.

To install this USB device on an actual XP machine I simply plug the device into the USB port and it auto installs the driver.

On the W7 64 bit machine running in W7 or XP mode neither system sees the USB device when it is plugged in. Is there a way that I can manually add a USB device?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Steve, when you installed XP Mode, there should have been prompts for you to allow these connections. But all is not lost. You can open Windows Virtual PC, w/o opening XP Mode, there are settings, make sure that you've checked all of your options. And sometimes, you must install the drivers by disc.

Reaction score
One step forward two steps back

Thank for the tip. Enablig the USB port from the virtual
xp window did make the USB port visible in the device manager. Opening the properties for the device indicated that the drivers are not installed. However looking at the detail tab shows that it has the correct driver files.

So I tried to update the drivers and it says that the current driver file are the same version as what I'm trying to update with.

As a last resort I thought I try to remove the device just hangs and the unistall window just stays there.

Also now each time I try to exit the XP mode virtual machine I have to force a shut down because it waits for ever.

Thie W7 64 bit has been a real pain and I'm about ready to trash it for the 32 bit version. The only reason to run it is to access more memory and I get numerous out of memory errors which I never had happen with XP or W7 32 bit. Also it takes forever to shut down the machine. As you can see I've just about had enough of this OS!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Steve, there has been many who have felt the way you do right now, I was on the verge of it myself a few weeks ago. Because there's no 64 bit Flash, and I felt like I was getting the run around on things. But I settled down, realizing that Microsoft will introduce Flash when they are ready, not when I (and many others) wants it. This XP Mode, it's a good program, but it's not perfect. I don't even have it on my computer any longer, the only reason I had it to begin with, was to help others, and to push the technology to others to solve their issues. And there's many unanswered threads on this very forum that XP Mode would solve. But one thing, Steve, before you step down to 32 bit. Not all 32 bit programs/hardware works with 32 bit Windows 7. My printer is a perfect example of that. It was designed for XP 32 bit (it was made in 2004). But it won't run on 32 bit 7. However, after two months of desperate searching, I found a 64 bit driver that would run it. Once I start something, I refuse to give up. You may need to try a different VM for this hardware to work. And there's one other option, you can setup a dual boot to run your hardware on. You are allowed to have a 32 & 64 bit OS on the computer at the same time, but you will need to partition (a simple task) and will need a 32 bit disc & new key. This way, you can do both tasks with no problems.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Microsoft will introduce Flash when they are ready
Adobe is the developer for Flash not Microsoft. Yes, Adodbe is dragging their feet big time in releasiing Flash x64 version for the x64 browsers.

Steve - it shouldn't take longer that 10 seconds to shut down on Windows 7 x64. Did you install all the proper drivers for the North & South bridge chipsets?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Adobe is the developer for Flash not Microsoft. Yes, Adodbe is dragging their feet big time in releasiing Flash x64 version for the x64 browsers.

Steve - it shouldn't take longer that 10 seconds to shut down on Windows 7 x64. Did you install all the proper drivers for the North & South bridge chipsets?
It's the XP Mode that's taking so long to shutdown. This is typical with many VM's, I've had several, they don't respond as fast as a regular install does. It takes them just as long to open.

Ask a Question