installing from a sata dvd drive

Reaction score
I'm trying to install from a sata dvd drive onto an ide hard disc. I have the raid drivers for my board, x64 vista drivers to be exact.

During the install sequence I obviously get to the bit that asks me to insert a driver disc for the dvd drive. Currently the drivers are on a floppy, so insert the floppy disc and browse to the drivers. windows 7 then starts to load the drivers them fails with a message stating it can't find find drivers for this drive.

Has anyone else tried installing from a sata drive, and if so how did you get on?

Reaction score
What exactly is the trouble - Im confussed - Are you having trouble installing the raid drivers from floppy. Can you tell us what you have for a system. Computer model or Motherboard name would be most helpfull.

Reaction score
You do not need to install SATA drivers. Windows 7 provides generic AHCI/SATA drivers with a very high level of performance. For now, no chipset manufacturer has AHCI drivers qualified for the new Os.

Reaction score
My system is as follows:

Motherboard Foxconn A6VMX (Which is crap, my old Lan Party board blew and this foxconn board is a stop gap)
CPU - AM2 x64 dual Core
Ram - 4 GB
Optical Drive - SATA DVD/CD RW
Hard Drive - IDE Maxtor 80 GB
Graphics - On Board
Sound - On Board

If Windows 7 comes with standard SATA drivers, then why is it asking me for drivers for the DVD/CD RW drive?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think I know where I was confussed - I hope we are not trying to setup a DVD drive with a raid driver disk.
A specific driver can more than likely be found if you look for a manufacture name and model of the DVD drive in question if windows standard drivers are not working.
A firmware update for the DVD drive could be needed aswell.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
I agree, you should not need any drivers for the DVD drive itself. I've installed from SATA-based DVD drives without any trouble, both Lite-On and Sony models.

Let us know if burning the disc at the lowest speed fixes the problem for you.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
What is the motherboard model? You don't need RAID drivers unless you are using RAID... in the BIOS make sure your IDE hard drive is set to IDE, not AHCI or RAID mode. The problem might be you have the SATA DVD drive set to this setting as well, so make sure you have the SATA drives configured for IDE operation.

Reaction score
The motherboard is a Foxconn A6VMX... Crap I know, but it is only a stop gap till I get the money together for another DFI board.

Reaction score
W7 have nice driver support. I have myself SATA DVD (Liteon) and from that installed clean install of 7137 to my RAID partition and no problems.
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 (ICH9R S-bridge).
RAID built by Intel Matrix-RAID:
2 x 1TB Seagate SATA2 - 200GB RAID1 and 1800GB RAID0,
last partitioned 100GB for systema and 1700GB for data.
And deleting old 100GB system (Vista) and creating new W7 went smoothly.

Reaction score
Then if that's the case... Why is it asking me for SATA DVD Drive drivers??

Reaction score
Which DVD drive do you have - Brand and Model so we can look for a driver to help you. Look on the drives label if not found in the drives property window.

Reaction score
Something strange is happening. Currently my system has a sata dvd drive and an ide hard disk. I decided to disconnect everything except the ide hard drive. I then connected a spare ide dvd drive to the second connector on the ide cable and rebooted the system.

after the system re-booted it went into the w7 install procedure and guess what... i got the same message regarding dvd drive drivers.

My motherboard only has 1 ide connector on it, so I can only connect upto 2 ide devices on that channel Everything else HAS to be sata. Normally I'm running 2 ide hard drives and 2 sata hard drives with a sata dvd drive.... During the above procedure I dicsonected everything sata and just ysed 1 ide hard drive and 1 ide dvd drive.. with the same error message.

Reaction score
I think I know where I was confussed - I hope we are not trying to setup a DVD drive with a raid driver disk.
A specific driver can more than likely be found if you look for a manufacture name and model of the DVD drive in question if windows standard drivers are not working.
A firmware update for the DVD drive could be needed aswell.
Which DVD drive do you have - Brand and Model so we can look for a driver to help you. Look on the drives label if not found in the drives property window.
It appears Im being ignored so Im gonna bow out

Reaction score
Sorry... I wasn't ignoring you, i was trying other options first. I should have aknowledged you.. Accept my aplologies.

My DVD drive is a Liteon Model HAS 220

However... Even after I disconnected ALL sata devices the installer is still asking for this DVD drive driver... Any ideas??

I'll try getting a proper driver for my DVD drive from the liteon website.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Is this an 8GB or 80GB drive? Your post indicates 8GB, but I don't think I believe that.... ;)

Also, why exactly are you installed RAID drivers?

Reaction score
Not to be smarty or anything, but did the download complete properly?

The only time I have had an issue installing 7, it was the same as you describe, and it turned out my download from the MS site had timed-out before finishing. Maybe compare the file sizes, and/or try a re-download.

As a side note, I also noticed when trying that particular install I got the old Vista loading screen, not the new, flashy 7 loading screen.

Reaction score
Sorry chaps, that was a typo. The drive is an 80gb Maxtor IDE drive.

I tried installing the RAID/SCSI drivers as the dvd drive is a sata, and the pc sees the drive as a scsi... wrong probably but worth a go.

Reaction score
Got it sorted... At last.

I downloaded a new copy of the ISO from microsoft, and instead of burning the image with Nero Burning Rom I used Alcohol 120% instead... It made all the difference, no issues at all and everything installed smoothly onto my back up hard disc. Now i know it's installed and evrything's working fine I may well install it on my main drive and take Vista Ultimate off.

Didin't have any issues with software either, all drivers installed from the DVD for my sata drives and my Soundblaster Audigy 2 soundcard. Also didn't have any issues with Office 2007, AVG 8 or Adobe CS3.

My first opionion of Windows 7??...It's very nice and less cluttered than Vista.

Ask a Question