Installed XP Mode, but it's not on the list of programs

  • Thread starter Percival P. Cassidy
  • Start date

P

Percival P. Cassidy

I had XP mode working in 32-bit Win7Pro with SP1, but I have just
installed 64-bit Win7Pro (also with SP1) in its place.

Twice now I have downloaded and installed XP mode (yes, the correct
version, and uninstalled the first before installing the second time),
but it does not show up in the Programs list.

The .VHD file is there in C:\Program Files\Windows XP Mode, along with
Key and VXPEULA files and a Tutorial subdirectory containing .html files
that (it would appear) should have been displayed in the course of the
installation: a tutorial, and then either a Success or a Failure
message. I have seen none of these: I get the message box telling me
that installation is complete, and I click Finish, and ... Nothing.

And, yes, i have rebooted to see if that solves the problem but without
success.

Seriously frustrating.

Perce
 
Ad

Advertisements

P

Percival P. Cassidy

I had XP mode working in 32-bit Win7Pro with SP1, but I have just
installed 64-bit Win7Pro (also with SP1) in its place.

Twice now I have downloaded and installed XP mode (yes, the correct
version, and uninstalled the first before installing the second time),
but it does not show up in the Programs list.

The .VHD file is there in C:\Program Files\Windows XP Mode, along with
Key and VXPEULA files and a Tutorial subdirectory containing .html files
that (it would appear) should have been displayed in the course of the
installation: a tutorial, and then either a Success or a Failure
message. I have seen none of these: I get the message box telling me
that installation is complete, and I click Finish, and ... Nothing.

And, yes, I have rebooted to see if that solves the problem but without
success.

Seriously frustrating.
And nothing on the Programs list for 'Windows Virtual PC' either.

Perce
 
P

Paul

Percival said:
And nothing on the Programs list for 'Windows Virtual PC' either.

Perce
I'm not the lucky owner of WinXP mode (just have Premium), but I
thought the thing consisted of two components. Windows Virtual PC
package, is the virtual machine software, basically a re-boiled
VPC2007 with a less useful control interface on it.

I thought you downloaded the WinXP mode package, and Windows Virtual PC
converts the download, into something it can use. Do you have two
files or just the one ?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

( Picture of the screen with the steps... )

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/7848/winxpmode.gif

Paul
 
P

Percival P. Cassidy

I'm not the lucky owner of WinXP mode (just have Premium), but I
thought the thing consisted of two components. Windows Virtual PC
package, is the virtual machine software, basically a re-boiled
VPC2007 with a less useful control interface on it.

I thought you downloaded the WinXP mode package, and Windows Virtual PC
converts the download, into something it can use. Do you have two
files or just the one ?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

( Picture of the screen with the steps... )

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/7848/winxpmode.gif
Doh! I overlooked the fact that I had to download and install the
VirtualPC component separately. I was thinking that WinXP Mode
*included* VirtualPC, and that the separate download for the latter was
just if one needed VirtualPC for something other than XP Mode.

And, if I may say so, it seems counterintuitive. It would be more
logical to install VirtualPC, then install XP Mode (or whatever else)
in Virtual PC.

Thanks for pointing out to me the error of my ways.

Perce
 
V

VanguardLH

Percival said:
Doh! I overlooked the fact that I had to download and install the
VirtualPC component separately. I was thinking that WinXP Mode
*included* VirtualPC, and that the separate download for the latter was
just if one needed VirtualPC for something other than XP Mode.

And, if I may say so, it seems counterintuitive. It would be more
logical to install VirtualPC, then install XP Mode (or whatever else)
in Virtual PC.

Thanks for pointing out to me the error of my ways.
I thought about the 2-file download but figured you did that and you'd
feel insulted for me suggesting it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7
"Installing and ..."
"Download and install Windows XP Mode"
"Download and install Windows Virtual PC"

From what I've read, VirtualPC 2007 and WVPC (Windows Virtual PC) are
not exactly the same. That latter is supposed to streamline into the
desktop and, I believe, support USB device whereas the former runs as a
separate console window in which you view the VM and doesn't support
USB. From what I can tell, XP Mode is the Windows XP license with
integration features while WVPC is the actual VMM (virtual machine
manager).

I have seen others get burned by the double-download requirement and
only doing one of them. Even if they didn't bundle them together, you'd
think the installer for WVPC would test if XP Mode had already been
installed and, if not, tell you to go get it, and the XP Mode install
would finish by offering to go get the WVPC download for you. Yeah, but
that's too logical.
 
P

Paul

VanguardLH said:
I thought about the 2-file download but figured you did that and you'd
feel insulted for me suggesting it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7
"Installing and ..."
"Download and install Windows XP Mode"
"Download and install Windows Virtual PC"

From what I've read, VirtualPC 2007 and WVPC (Windows Virtual PC) are
not exactly the same. That latter is supposed to streamline into the
desktop and, I believe, support USB device whereas the former runs as a
separate console window in which you view the VM and doesn't support
USB. From what I can tell, XP Mode is the Windows XP license with
integration features while WVPC is the actual VMM (virtual machine
manager).

I have seen others get burned by the double-download requirement and
only doing one of them. Even if they didn't bundle them together, you'd
think the installer for WVPC would test if XP Mode had already been
installed and, if not, tell you to go get it, and the XP Mode install
would finish by offering to go get the WVPC download for you. Yeah, but
that's too logical.
The Windows Virtual PC is definitely a "plus/minus" of the previous VPC2007.
On the UI front, it's a step backwards. The control panel on VPC2007 is
really nice by comparison, and is easier to use and provides all the
functionality you could want, better than VirtualBox. VirtualBox is more
rigid and annoying, than the VPC2007 interface. If it wasn't for
the superior technical aspects of VirtualBox, I probably wouldn't use
it, just because of less easy ability to make changes to VM settings.

The added USB support in WVPC, is worse than the VirtualBox version. VirtualBox
handles USB at more like a physical level (actually, quite clever). VirtualBox
works by VID/PID, and takes all the traffic away from the host, based on that,
so the guest OS can use it. As far as I know, the Windows Virtual PC version
supports limited protocols, so if you plug in a USB key, then the USB storage
class and protocol can be passed through to the guest. If you had a device with
a custom protocol (say, a webcam that wasn't UVC class), then Windows Virtual PC
would ignore that. So the support in Windows Virtual PC, is better than VPC2007,
but in not as nearly useful a way as VirtualBox.

Windows Virtual PC supports Terminal Services protocol, and that was added
for the ability to have rootless windows for guest programs. VPC2007 only
supports rooted operation, with a window for the entire desktop.

But in many other ways, it's based on VPC2007. It's not a rewrite or anything,
it's an evolution of the feature set. The UI aspects are a step backwards,
when managing other guest OSes. I'm willing to bet the development team
weren't too happy about that, but were asked to do "look and feel" to match
how the rest of the OS visual aspects were designed. I don't think they
did that because it was "superior" in some way.

Paul
 
Ad

Advertisements

W

...winston

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

Get Windows XP Mode and Virtual PC
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Download Windows XP Mode with Virtual PC
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx
- ensure you select the correct edition and version (32/64) of Windows 7

In the long run, though if you plan on having more control then VMWare or
Virtual Box may be better choices


--
....winston
msft mvp mail


"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
I had XP mode working in 32-bit Win7Pro with SP1, but I have just
installed 64-bit Win7Pro (also with SP1) in its place.

Twice now I have downloaded and installed XP mode (yes, the correct
version, and uninstalled the first before installing the second time),
but it does not show up in the Programs list.

The .VHD file is there in C:\Program Files\Windows XP Mode, along with
Key and VXPEULA files and a Tutorial subdirectory containing .html files
that (it would appear) should have been displayed in the course of the
installation: a tutorial, and then either a Success or a Failure
message. I have seen none of these: I get the message box telling me
that installation is complete, and I click Finish, and ... Nothing.

And, yes, i have rebooted to see if that solves the problem but without
success.

Seriously frustrating.

Perce
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top