Icon settings

Reaction score
Win 7 Home Prem 64 Bit

I changed the display settings to 1600 x 900 , the settings suggested by my monitor (LG W2040T). Now my desktop icons have what only what I could describe as a shadow.
Is there a way (tried "Clear Type") to make the icons sharper?

Thx

Reaction score
OK found the Shadow under windows settings.

Now, is there a way to change the desktop fonts from white to black?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I think there are third party tweakers that will do it, but the icons text normally changes (automatically) from light to dark according to your selection of background. You can see this by experimenting with a lighter one.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
my desktop icons have what only what I could describe as a shadow.
Is there a way (tried "Clear Type") to make the icons sharper?
Try tweaking the brightness and contrast options of your monitor or even the RGB. Windows Media Center has a good setup activity for you to adjust them properly. It plays a video of people playing pool and gives you instructions to tweak your monitor to get details.

As for changing the font color, what I can find says you can change if you go to classic themes but not if you use Aero.

Last edited:

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
There's a program out there called D-Color which will enable you to change the font color of icons on the desktop :)

Edit: I believe it only works for XP and Vista though... I thought I had it work for Vista or Windows 7, just wasn't sure as it was a while ago. Now I know it was Vista, and I ran 64 bit as well, but it was designed for XP. Sorry.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I don't think you can change the text color, even in Classic.Certainly, adjusting the brightness and contrast will not change the text from white to black.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
No I wasn't suggesting the contrast/brightness would change the text color, that was addressing his "shadow".

But you are right, there doesn't seem to be an option to change the text color of icons. You can change the text color of menus and inside an application window and you can even change the font used with icons but there is no changeable color setting attached to that font. The truth is, most people wouldn't be willing to give up Aero even if you could change your icon text colors.

Reaction score
thanks all for the feedback - all useful and will give them a go.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
No, you guys are being a bit closed minded, it IS possible, i'm absolutely 100% sure of that. I just can't figure out what you'd do to change it, but if it was doable on XP, i'm almost certain that it's possible in some way for Windows 7. That's just my opinion.

It may require a 3rd party program to do so, but i'm sure it's a registry edit at the most which does this, or a system file edit containing data for the system font. I know globally that the system font is changeable, so I don't see a reason as to why text color wouldn't be.

Edit: If you have 32 bit Windows, i've heard from reports that the program "Trans Text" works.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Noone is being close minded. The suggestion of a third part program to do it has already been made twice and no need for repetition. I have no need, but have googled and can see at least four available.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Back on the shadow. W7 by default shadows the icon text, as well as windows, and the mouse. But you can turn those things off ...

Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Performance Information and Tools
Select Adjust Visual Effects
near the bottom uncheck "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop".

The other two are up there on the list as well if the shadows bug you.

See if that suits you better.

Ask a Question