I moved a very important folder!

Reaction score
Hi Recently I found my computer was freezing up, (Windows 7 Ultimate) and decided to do a backup that did not work, But currently stopped freezing

But when I was in a certain mode that has a bunch of options (Loads up with backup disk) I went to load drivers and moved my C:\Windows folder to C:\Users\Windows folder and everything started screwing up.

Now everytime I try to move it back I found that it said access deined, I tryed oving it regularly and moving it via CMD

That didnt work, And I am suverly pissed off because now i cannot install FSX or any .msi installers because Windows Installer screwed up

Also Windows Update wont update .NET Framework and I cant install it (4.0) Because its a .MSI !!

I recently checked the perrmission folder and NOTHING is checked under users...

Please help me,

Btw, Please dont tell me to do a system restore cause I have no restore points!

I also cannot reinstall Windows because I dont not have a installation disk and do not want to but one ($60) when I have just spend $120 to get a new hard drive!

Please Help. :(:confused:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
First lesson you have learned... don't move the Windows folder, at all!

IF you have your product key, which you should have go here to download an ISO image file of the version of Windows 7 that you have.

https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links-t2910.html

When you click on the ISO link you need your download will start right away.

Then burn that ISO image file to a blank DVD disc with ImgBurn, which is free. Burn at anywhere from 4X to 8X burn speed and then use ImgBurn to verify the disc to make sure the burn went well.

Then you can do your reinstall plus you'll have the DVD in case you ever need to reinstall again.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Write down your product key if it isn't on a sticker somewhere on your computer, you may need it for reinstall.

A handy freeware utility called SIW can give you extensive info about your computer including a "Licenses" section which will list your product key.
http://www.gtopala.com/

BTW: If you created a system restore disk when you first received your computer you might try that before the drastic complete reinstall. If weird things happen after you've tried that then I recommend complete.

Reaction score
Try this little registry hack first. This will allow you to take ownership of your Windows folder.

Attachments

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
BTW: If you created a system restore disk when you first received your computer you might try that before the drastic complete reinstall. If weird things happen after you've tried that then I recommend complete.
He should still download the ISO image regardless, that way he'll always have it if he need it.

Sometimes the system restore discs don't always work properly.

What roban suggested just may work though.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
A Linux live CD might work as well for moving the folder back to place.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your support, Im going to try all your solutions and see which one works, Ill keep you updated.

The only thing I hate is ill have to uby Word Perfect all over again -_- Sposde I can back the program up

Ask a Question