Application Data Folder Moved

Reaction score
I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Yesterday, it seems some of my application data settings have moved. For example, I use Pidgin. The account data, logs, etc are normally stored here:

C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\.purple

Yesterday when I signed in, it acted like I have never used Pidgin before and made me setup my accounts from scratch. After poking around, I see the files are now stored here:

C:\Application Data\.purple

Also, my settings for Filezilla and TrueCrypt were reset like I just installed them. I assume the same thing that happened to Pidgin happened to these apps.

Also, under "Libraries", my "My Documents" folder was not there any longer. I had to navigate to C:\Users\David\Documents and manually add it to my "Library".

No error or unexpected shut down or anything happened before these symptoms appeared.

Has anyone seen something like this? Where the app data seems to be moved from under my folder in the users folder to C:\Application Data?

Thanks.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I wonder if this has to do with the Tuesday patches released on Windows Update. Can you check and see when you last applied Windows Updates? The most recent updates have caused a lot of problems for a lot of people, resetting IE etc.

Reaction score
I wonder if this has to do with the Tuesday patches released on Windows Update. Can you check and see when you last applied Windows Updates? The most recent updates have caused a lot of problems for a lot of people, resetting IE etc.
I installed the updates Tuesday. I noticed the problems Thursday evening. I would like to get my Pidgin files back in the C:\users directory, but since it is working now, I will just leave them in the C:\Application Data directory.

Ask a Question